PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backlight turns Off When I make a phone call

Lately, whenever I make a phone call, the display either turns completely off as it connects, and never comes back on, or it goes black for a second or two and then comes back on.

If it goes black and doesn't come back on, the proximity sensor doesn't seem to do anything, and I have to hit the on/off button on top to turn the display back on.

If it goes black for a second or two and does come back on, the proximity sensor still doesn't do anything. I'll hold it up to my ear and it doesn't turn off.

I'm not aware of any regularly accessible settings, so assume there is something funky in the registry settings for this behavior. Can somebody point me to the appropriate registry keys, and what their values should be when the proximity sensor is functioning properly?

I'm using Verizon TP2, Stock 6.1 ROM.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff
Re: Backlight turns Off When I make a phone call

Try a hard reset...make sure to backup contacts, pictures and anything else you've put on the phone...could be a cab you installed...Try that and see if works again...
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul

nosmohtac is becoming a great contributor

Have you installed any programs that replace the stock dialer, such as Inesoft Phone?

The default settings of Inesoft phone will overide the proximity sensor and turn the screen off during a call.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

On the newest MR, I've had the same issue with my prox sensor. The version prior seemed like it worked great.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I appreciate the replies.

No dialer replacements.

A hard reset is always an option, but it would be extremely time consuming re-installing and reconfiguring everything trying to pinpoint which app might have caused the change.

And whatever Cab might have caused the problem presumably did so because it changed one or more registry settings, so it makes more sense to just identify what the correct settings should be, and just directly edit those to get things working correctly again.

So the question remains - does anybody know which Registry keys govern the backlight turning on/off and the proximity sensor function, when making a call, and what the default values are?

There should be a Master List of Registry Keys, the functions they govern, and the default values, for WM!!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

There should be a Master List of Registry Keys, the functions they govern, and the default values, for WM!!
That would be handy although the list would be enormous.

My prox sensor works perfectly (& I'm running a very custom ROM), but unfortunately I'm not sure what reg key controls it but let me do some digging & see what I can come up with.

~John
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

whetzel is becoming a great contributor

I've noticed mine doing this in the past too.

What I also noticed is that if I wait until the call connects (you should feel a short vibrate once connected) and then put the phone to my ear I don't have that problem.

Give that a try and see what happens.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whetzel View Post
I've noticed mine doing this in the past too.

What I also noticed is that if I wait until the call connects (you should feel a short vibrate once connected) and then put the phone to my ear I don't have that problem.

Give that a try and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion, and I know the little vibration that you're talking about. But I've tried it both ways:

If I initiate the call, and just look at the phone in my hand, the backlight will turn completely off, and sometimes will not come back on without my pressing the on/off button.

If it does come back on, if I then put it up to my ear, it will not turn off, with it seeming like the proximity sensor is not working at all.

John - thanks for the reply. A comprehensive list would be exhaustive, but a "best of" which would cover the most common functions that we all end up tweaking around here, should be do-able.

I'll have some time this afternoon, and will poke around as well, and see what I can find.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn

S2U2 has some options for backlight while in a call, if you have it installed maybe its messing with you.

If I helped you out,Hit the THANKS
Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn View Post
S2U2 has some options for backlight while in a call, if you have it installed maybe its messing with you.
Thanks for the thought, but no S2U2 installed . I can't think of any other programs/utilities I have installed that might be doing this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2