PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Tilt 2
Carrier: ATT

dhp78 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WiFi with no data plan?

Hi,

I had a LG incite with no data plan. I used to use it in wifi networks all the time with no problem. I had it set up so it would not use the carriers data network so I wouldn’t get charged.

Well, the phone had troubles with freezing and locking up all the time so the carrier’s warranty dept arranged a change to the Tilt 2. I tried using wifi like I used to and I got a big bill.

Can I use the Wifi networks w/o a data plan and w/o charges like I used to do with the Incite? How do I do this and make sure the data network is not accessed?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: WiFi with no data plan?

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/b...read.id=119531

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/b...read.id=125250

Quote:
Effective in September of 2009, ALL smartphones (Blackberry, WinMo, Symbian, and iPhones) are required to have a data plan. Current customers are grandfathered in until they upgrade their device or sign a new contract for voice services.

If you want a smart phone on AT&T you will pay for the data plan.

You have a few options at this point.

• Stick with your current phone until it dies.
  • Get a "dumb" phone that does not require a data plan.
  • Switch carriers.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Tilt 2
Carrier: ATT
Threadstarter

dhp78 is a n00b

Thanks for the info. However, I currently do not have the data plan.. I assume that I am grandfathered because the tilt 2 is a warranty replacement for a phone that was purchased before the deadline.

My issue is that it seems that I am getting charged data usage (per use, not a plane rate) when using wifi when on my incite I did not get charged. I hoped that some could advise how to prevent this.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

krusty46 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhp78 View Post
Thanks for the info. However, I currently do not have the data plan.. I assume that I am grandfathered because the tilt 2 is a warranty replacement for a phone that was purchased before the deadline.

My issue is that it seems that I am getting charged data usage (per use, not a plane rate) when using wifi when on my incite I did not get charged. I hoped that some could advise how to prevent this.
They probably will no longer let you have a data block on the phone and since you have "no data plan" you are paying as you use it or paying per kb.

You will most likely have to figure out how to block data usage on the phone yourself. I'm sure someone has figured it out.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned User
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty46 View Post
They probably will no longer let you have a data block on the phone and since you have "no data plan" you are paying as you use it or paying per kb.

You will most likely have to figure out how to block data usage on the phone yourself. I'm sure someone has figured it out.
Hmm, this sounds about right.

Have you ever tried to just delete or put in a fake address for the data connect address?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

YOur problem is that you need to disable the att data connection because it is the default over the wifi connection.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If I understand correctly, as others here have mentioned, you need to shut off your data connection.

You may find some stuff for this in the regular Comm Manger but even when you set the Data Connection off, it can still work.

Also you could try the connection app, All Settings>Connection>Connections
and see if with in anything there you can set the Wifi connection to have or stay as a priority

For me I tried all that but eventually decided to permanently shut it off on my Verizon TP2 by going to HKLM\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers then go through all the lettered/numbers folders till you find the one that has the AT&T networks in it (usually is the one that they are in a sub folder named “Connections” and in those connections parameters, set Always On to 0 and Enable to 0.

This will completely shut down the connections.

Keep in mind though you will loose the ability for any apps that are hard coded to use those from being able to make any kind of a connection anymore.

Also note that this is my first Reg hack recommendation so I would suggest you double check this with some searches on that reg location and confirm this, also back up your registry before.

Last edited by WBFAir; 01-13-2010 at 10:55 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2