PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

msh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to msh441 Send a message via Yahoo to msh441
Why don't Registry edits "stick"?

OK, I've recently "upgraded" to Verizon's 6.5/Sense 2.1 and I'm running into a reoccurring problem that I did not experience running 6.1/TouchFlo3D.

There are a TON of mods and regisry edits that just don't seem to stick when powering down, or soft resetting the device. I've particularly noticed this with notification light tweeks, memory edits (Dynamic Resourse Proxy edit), Opera edits (casche and tabs edits), and while trying to delete HTC start menu items etc.

I'm using Resco's File Explorer and Registry Editor and I'm fairly comfortable navigating and tweeking registry items or .xml file.

So what do I have to kill to get my phone to retain my work and behave how I want it to?

Please help!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

chas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Why don't Registry edits "stick"?

See if you have CM Guardian in your windows folder.

Edit:
It may be called HTC CM Guadian. If you have it use DotFred's task manager and set it to manual.

1) open the task manager and navigate to services.
2) tap and hold HTC CM Guardian
3) from the menu tap set to manual
4) soft reset.
Attached Files
File Type: cab FdcSoft TaskMgr wm2005_3.1.cab (226.1 KB, 20 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by chas123; 01-12-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88014

Also try "CM_Killer" post1 it will tell you what it does....to sum it up it disables CM Guardian to allow changes in the reg to take place.
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Vzw

rube77 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas123 View Post
See if you have CM Guardian in your windows folder.

Edit:
It may be called HTC CM Guadian. If you have it use DotFred's task manager and set it to manual.

1) open the task manager and navigate to services.
2) tap and hold HTC CM Guardian
3) from the menu tap set to manual
4) soft reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Zone View Post
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88014

Also try "CM_Killer" post1 it will tell you what it does....to sum it up it disables CM Guardian to allow changes in the reg to take place.
I have tried both these methods and the reg has still come back for me...running vzw 6.5 upgrade. So if someone has another work around I would like to hear it please, or if one worked for you...maybe I need to retry one.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Are you soft-resetting immediately? Close the registry editor, press the power button, let your phone sit for a minute, wake it up then reset. It sometimes takes some time for regedits to sync with the system.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
N00b

rube77 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⌥ saumaun ☢ View Post
Are you soft-resetting immediately? Close the registry editor, press the power button, let your phone sit for a minute, wake it up then reset. It sometimes takes some time for regedits to sync with the system.
I know that I did...actually quite a few times. Each time I made sure the entry was at zero and that cmguardian in Dfred was set to manual, but on each reset my resproxy value would come back to its original set instead of zero.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

when you installed "cm_killer" did you get the count down and a display that guardian had been killed or something to that effect?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Vogue: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6900SP)

I recommend using a different reg editor. I like to use PHM regeditor. It seems to work great. Also, if you use CMKiller turn off your radio before you install it. Just put your device in Airplane Mode, install it to device memory and it will reset. Then use phm for your edits. Then wait a minuite and soft reset. If you have an app that can soft reset your device without you having to use your hardware buttons then that seems to help too.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
N00b

rube77 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Zone View Post
when you installed "cm_killer" did you get the count down and a display that guardian had been killed or something to that effect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (HTC Vogue: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6900SP)

I recommend using a different reg editor. I like to use PHM regeditor. It seems to work great. Also, if you use CMKiller turn off your radio before you install it. Just put your device in Airplane Mode, install it to device memory and it will reset. Then use phm for your edits. Then wait a minuite and soft reset. If you have an app that can soft reset your device without you having to use your hardware buttons then that seems to help too.
cm_killer did show the count down and stated that cmguardian had been killed successfully, but the reg entries continued to not hold. As for reg editor I am using PHM editor, but haven't tried to put into airplane mode...I will here in a minute though. I have been searching around and have found many people stating that reg entries were not sticking with the new vzw 6.5 official upgrade...but I will continue to search and try all hints...so thank you and keep them coming!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

jerzeepit is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Verizon TP2 Win 6.5 Sense 2.1: XV6875.1 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

I installed that cab too while in airplane mode...no luck

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2