PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

louisk is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to louisk Send a message via MSN to louisk Send a message via Yahoo to louisk
Does anyone know if the Sprint Touchpro 2 gets 3G level data when roaming outside US

I am trying to find out if my TouchPro 2 will pickup 3G service when I am traveling to countries like Australia and New Zealand which use GSM service. Does the GSM stack in the CMDA TP2 support 3G on the GSM network?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Does anyone know if the Sprint Touchpro 2 gets 3G level data when roaming outside

Yes, the Touch pro 2 supports 3G outside of the USA.

P-Slim, the 3G you are talkling about is UMTS, and HSPA is fully backwards compatible with UMTS. It's kind of like going form from EVDO Rev A to EVDO Rev 0.

The Touch Pro 2 supports HSPA up to 7.2 megs, and is fully backwards compatible with UMTS (regular 3G) and even EDGE.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

evertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuff
Re: Does anyone know if the Sprint Touchpro 2 gets 3G level data when roaming outside

One thing to note, though is that the default Sprint card didn't run in 3g for me, at least in Germany. Not that you'd want to use it anyway, since the rates for international roaming using the Sprint sim are pretty outrageous, and you can get a local sim for almost nothing in most countries.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

yes, used local sim card ouside the US and got 3g data in gsm network
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

louisk is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to louisk Send a message via MSN to louisk Send a message via Yahoo to louisk

Sprint said that I could pay $40 per month for unlimited international data roaming on any CDMA or GSM network. I probably won't do much if any voice calling while international, but will do lots of data, and so $40 for a month of unlimited data didn't seem that bad... is there a cheaper alternative for unlimited data?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisk View Post
Sprint said that I could pay $40 per month for unlimited international data roaming on any CDMA or GSM network. I probably won't do much if any voice calling while international, but will do lots of data, and so $40 for a month of unlimited data didn't seem that bad... is there a cheaper alternative for unlimited data?
it depends where you go, and for how long. most probably if your not looking for voice call it is worth it, it is also prorated so it is surely worth it. please be advised both receiving calls and making them are at the same cray high rate.

my advise is add the international data, and get a cheap unlocked phone and a local sim card to make calls.

Last edited by miketab; 01-12-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisk View Post
when you get to your destination they will have better and cheaper options for you. I'm also not sure if the sprint sim card will pick up the hsdpa networks overseas. But the cheapest route will be to pick up a sim card and sign up for data over there.
Google is the next skynet
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketab View Post
it depends where you go, and for how long. most probably if your not looking for voice call it is worth it, it is also prorated so it is surely worth it. please be advised both receiving calls and making them are at the same cray high rate.

my advise is add the international data, and get a cheap unlocked phone and a local sim card to make calls.

Question here, why buy an unlocked phone if the TP2 works with overseas SIM??

Should be getting couple TP2's tomorrow finally and my goal will be to do both Voice and Data with a local provider,

Anyone cooking this combo yet, let me know how it is working out for ya please.Thanks fellas and ladies.

20 bucks gets unlimited 3G data usage where I am at.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2

ONFUS is a n00b

3G works internationally both in CDMA or GSM (GPRS/EDGE). The $40 is actually calculated daily so when traveling ask them to set it to exprire in x # of days - it works out to be a little over $1/day - I think is a good deal. If you get a really good connection you can use Skype and avoid using your voice minutes. I used it in South Africa (CDMA) and in Colombia (GSM) w/o problems. Voice is expensive, if you plan to do a lot of talking via regular phone, get a local SIM as others suggest.

Last edited by ONFUS; 01-14-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

ONFUS,
Did you use data with Sprint SIM or a Sim from South Africa? I wont be using Sprint for sure, so I am interested in international data usage using local SIM's . Thanks

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2