PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   install exe without sync (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105534)

Skywarp 01-09-2010 09:42 PM

install exe without sync

Is it possible to install an exe. on to my mobile device without using active sync?

Active sync works like 4% of the time if im lucky

WhiteBlazer01 01-09-2010 09:53 PM

Re: install exe without sync

I remember a while back this worked on some (not all) exe's, but you can use winrar to extract the cab file on the pc, then transfer it over (or it may work with pocketrar on the phone). Again, it did work for me on some files, but it also did not work on other files.

Skywarp 01-19-2010 08:19 AM

How do you convert, or unRar an Exe file?

scheel78 01-19-2010 08:39 AM

Check this thread out. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...75#post1326975

Hypnotic2010 01-19-2010 10:05 AM

Try this:

1) keep device disconnected (no active sync session)
2) install exe as usual and, when standard installation dialog will appear, go on (later cab installation will begin when you'll connect phone to pc)
3) open regedit.exe
4) go to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\AppMgr\Apps
5) there you'll find a list of installable cabs via active sync
6) under each application, the value ListCabFiles is the name of cab file and the value InstallDir is its position of file system.

Remember to uninstall exe after you copy/move the cab file (or delete application key) otherwise installation of cab files will start on next activesync session!!

Viper786 01-19-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 (Post 1501060)
Try this:

2) install exe as usual and, when standard installation dialog will appear, go on (later cab installation will begin when you'll connect phone to pc)
3) open regedit.exe
4) go to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\AppMgr\Apps
6) under each application, the value ListCabFiles is the name of cab file and the value InstallDir is its position of file system.

Remember to uninstall exe after you copy/move the cab file (or delete application key) otherwise installation of cab files will start on next activesync session!!

Sweet, thanks! I'll try and see if this works later on

eksasol 01-19-2010 11:14 AM

I simply use Universal Extractor, it can extract some executables that softwares like 7-Zip and WinRar can't. This is not only useful for executable installers, but Windows MSI installers as well. Doesn't work on every single installers, but most of time it does.

codybear 01-19-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 (Post 1501060)
Try this:

3) open regedit.exe

Alot of the time you can just go to c:\program files\microsoft activesync\
and find the cab either in that location or in a folder named either the name of the program or by the company.
But that is not always the case (about 0.5% of the time) and that's when your process come in handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksasol (Post 1501218)
I simply use Universal Extractor, it can extract most executables that softwares like 7-Zip and WinRar can't. This is not only useful for executable installers, but Windows MSI installers as well. Doesn't work on every single installers, but most of time it does.

That's another way I have done this aswell.

emo08a 01-31-2010 04:06 AM

Thanks!