PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 with SSS 2.5 Rom
Carrier: Sprint Sero!

zillanilla is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unlimited Calling on TP2 via VOIP?

Magic Jack is going to offer a device similar to Sprint's Airave that will allow unlimited calling on phones using GSM networks (source: http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/us_tec...show_magicjack). My questions are: 1) Would this be possible on a Sprint TP2? 2) If so, would the unlock be required? 3) Is anyone aware of a current solution for unlimited voip calls on the TP2?

The game is about to get interesting. I wish MagicJack had a stock symbol, I'd throw a couple chips their way.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff
Re: Unlimited Calling on TP2 via VOIP?

You should be able to unlock the Sprint TP2 with the htc-unlocks sim unlocker and the patched radio.

I already have unlimited calling with the Windows Mobile Skype app and the $3/month unlimited US and Canada plan. This assumes that you have an unlimited data plan. And this is unlimited calling to the US from anywhere in the world. For example, I'm in italy, have a prepaid data plan and call about 2 hrs a day to the states for the $3/month.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 with SSS 2.5 Rom
Carrier: Sprint Sero!
Threadstarter

zillanilla is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
You should be able to unlock the Sprint TP2 with the htc-unlocks sim unlocker and the patched radio.

I already have unlimited calling with the Windows Mobile Skype app and the $3/month unlimited US and Canada plan. This assumes that you have an unlimited data plan. And this is unlimited calling to the US from anywhere in the world. For example, I'm in italy, have a prepaid data plan and call about 2 hrs a day to the states for the $3/month.
Hey Matt, that's good info! How's the call quality? What client do you use? This is something for me to look into since I would come out cheaper than MagicJack($40) and I do have unlimited data. Also, I'm guessing international roaming on data is free with your VZW plan, or that you're using WiFi.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible and touch pro2
Carrier: Verizon

chrisloveskaos is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchrisloveskaos is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchrisloveskaos is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchrisloveskaos is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchrisloveskaos is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if magic jacks new voice service is like their residential phone service be forewarned, they suck donkey balls....fat ones
Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I think it really has to do with your carrier. T-Mobile required me to get a phone plan with mine. Plus, I also trust the phone tech a little better than VOIP currently. I made a few calls today to some companies in NYC for digital camera equipment and you could just tell they used VOIP. It's still terrible quality. I'll go that route when Europe's HD Phone makes its way to the States.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
airave, magicjack, unlimited, voip