PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

jringo718 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lost phone, should I use insurance for a new one?

I am about 80% sure that I left my phone in a friend of a friend's car who I don't really know, but my friend and everyone was catching a ride in his car. I remember having my phone right before I met up with them when they called me to ask where I was. Also Google Maps was on and its been 13 hours now and when I called my phone, it rings 6 or 7 times and then goes to voicemail. Also I left the ringer on Loud. I tried using Microsoft MyPhone's service to locate my phone and it failed the communication test and the map location because it said the phone might be off, out of battery or out of range. I had just taken the phone out of the charger at around 1 AM and used the GPS for 10 minutes before leaving it running in the background. Would a Sprint TP2 loose charge that quick due to the GPS being on after 13 hours? Why does my phone ring 6 or 7 times if it is off? Usually with Sprint, when a phone is off, it goes straight to voicemail right?

My main question is, this guy is now on the other side of the country till like Tuesday, and since I am not 100% its even in his car, should I just request an insurance claim or should I wait? Should I discuss this with Sprint on holding off service and such? If it is in the car, no one is gonna see the phone till Tuesday. The guy said he will check, but nothing is guaranteed.

Also i doubt this, but would there be any other way to locate the phone if it somehow happens to be on right now?

Last edited by jringo718; 01-08-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

phatal is becoming a great contributor
Re: Lost phone, should I use insurance for a new one?

At this point your phone is not necessarily lost, but only misplaced. 80% is a pretty high confidence factor. Patience is warranted I believe.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Do you have a backup phone? just some cheap as sprint phone?

Where do you carry your phone? In your pocket? Is there any chance it would've fallen out? Has it ever fallen out?

Most likely it is in dude's car, whether or not he is gonna give it back to is also another story.

I would call sprint and tell them your story and see what they recommend, not sure if they can do anything, but you never know (or someone on here knows?). You don't necessarily have claim it on insurance just yet, just becasue you told sprint its lost.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

03LXV6 is a n00b

You can have sprint restrict the phone from being used until you know for sure that it is lost.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

erikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good work

Definetely restrict the phone till you find out, where it might be. And after all the things you've tried i would probably report it.

Last edited by erikdrakon; 01-08-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Thanks for the advice guys, I usually leave my phone in a inside coat pocket, but I remember I put my keys in the same pocket and might have had to take the phone out last night to take the keys out, and that is possibly when it could have been lost. I have never lost a phone in the past 8 years I have had the 2-3 dozen phones I have had. Although I dropped it once in another friends car but I immediately noticed and saw it sitting next to me, and that could be why I am depending on it falling in the car.

The reason for my 80% is by deduction, I don't remember the phone falling outside of my own car because I was actually standing there staring at the ground while smoking a cig and i don't remember it dropping at the gas station I went to. Other then that, I have checked everywhere in the house, my car and driveway. Also I don't have another Sprint phone, I got rid of the Touch Pro 1

Last edited by jringo718; 01-08-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:03 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdrakon View Post
I have a question did you have your phone synced up with microsoft myphone service?

If you did you could ring the phone and see if anyone finds it, or if you had it set up to auto update and had location checked off it will tell you the last place the phone was on its last update if it updated before the battery died.

Just a suggestion.
Yes I had it synced and it shows my house where I last synced. I tried the MyPhone premium features and its telling me the phone is off. I have been ringing it nonstop today
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Ok, I need some fast help, sorry for the triple post, but I signed up for Sprint Family Locator and its finding the phone in Jackson Heights, NY with about a 25 yards accuracy so that means my phone is on, even though MyPhone wont work. I live in Long Island, and we met in Long Island yesterday, and this guy lives in the Bronx and his car is parked in the BX, so I don't understand why its in Queens. What can I do?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to mathiass

If all else fails you might report it stolen. This would make sense as you have no reasons for the phone to be in Queens. You can call Sprint and see what your options are if you do that (I'm sure they get a good amount of calls about stolen phones).
Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

BOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jringo718 View Post
Ok, I need some fast help, sorry for the triple post, but I signed up for Sprint Family Locator and its finding the phone in Jackson Heights, NY with about a 25 yards accuracy so that means my phone is on, even though MyPhone wont work. I live in Long Island, and we met in Long Island yesterday, and this guy lives in the Bronx and his car is parked in the BX, so I don't understand why its in Queens. What can I do?
Log onto your account and go to the call log and see if anyone is making or recieving calls from your phone. That way you atleast know if it was stolen or its just lost. If calls are being made call and give location to police.

BOO B)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2