PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Touch Pro 2 average more than 90MB free RAM?
Yes 14 46.67%
No 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Memory Crunch

I've just moved to the Touch Pro 2 and have only been on it for about 2 days now. I was one of those guys yelling up and down that the Touch Pro 2 isn't a major upgrade over the Touch Pro 1. I'm still not ready to change that opinion (though there are some nice "fixes" and additions on the TP2)...

That disclaimer aside I have to wonder what HTC was thinking when it came to RAM.

This Touch Pro 2 feels like the Mogul all over again. My free RAM amounts are usually below 30MB where I never had less than 90MB or usually 100MB on the TP1.

I know there are some tweaks to deal with this that I'll probably try, but I have to wonder... What was HTC thinking? This thing needed 384MB+RAM
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint): Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

even before i run the Clean ram i dont really have issues.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 AM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP
Re: Memory Crunch

There are a ton of tweaks if you're using stock.
I am on a custom rom, MightyROM 1/4 release, and after a soft reset I have like 104mb free and usually have close to 100mb free unless I'm running programs, I rarely need to use cleanRAM.

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Keyone is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by japper88 View Post
There are a ton of tweaks if you're using stock.
I am on a custom rom, MightyROM 1/4 release, and after a soft reset I have like 104mb free and usually have close to 100mb free unless I'm running programs, I rarely need to use cleanRAM.
I am using Mighty's Sense 2.5 ROM and am getting about <25MB of RAM after several hours of light to no use. Does Mighty's Sense 2.1 ROM have any issues like that? I really would like to not have to reset my phone for at least a week like my old Vogue...
Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 AM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyone View Post
I am using Mighty's Sense 2.5 ROM and am getting about <25MB of RAM after several hours of light to no use. Does Mighty's Sense 2.1 ROM have any issues like that? I really would like to not have to reset my phone for at least a week like my old Vogue...
Go and try MightyMike's supported rom (wm6.5+Sense 2.1) - 1/4/10 release. You WON'T be disappointed. I almost never softreset (only after installing something). Like I said 100+mb of free ram (without needing to install any kind of tweaks).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There is alot set aside for Push internet, etc., and that can all be turned off, and there ispage-pooling adjustments. Try to actually run out. Don't worry about the numbers
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Keyone is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
There is alot set aside for Push internet, etc., and that can all be turned off, and there ispage-pooling adjustments. Try to actually run out. Don't worry about the numbers
Push and all are already disabled on Mighty's 2.5 ROM. Pagepool should be default 16MB and shouldn't be lower. You seem to not understand the problem with "trying to run out". WM ends up closing my programs to gain back some memory. This is not acceptable, especially if I have programs like instant messaging on or browsing websites.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I never had any issues with memory, not even bone stock. Right now I'm running a stock Sprint ROM with TF3D enabled and a few tweaks, and I boot with 118MB free
Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

No issues with memory here. Hell, I don't even look at my memory because its never been an issue.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

i feel ya, it's weird that the RAM is different than the tp1. most of it is because the push internet engine is left on and opera mobile cannot be closed without some edits (even if it doesnt show up in your task manager). there's a cab to disable opera and push internet which frees A LOT of RAM . push internet is useless to many, since a lot of us want the freshest content right then not from an hour ago. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=532948

there's also a tool called rhodium settings tool that has an easy disable/enable switch for the same disable push edits... it makes changes in resproxy in ur registry too, which saves even more RAM. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...30&postcount=1

by the way, it doesn't feel like the mogul all over again because htc has improved RAM management... it's saving stuff so that things run faster as the day goes on... and it'll close processes that aren't needed if you need RAM for programs. I'd still recommend using the tool above because it'll boot you at 52% usage and keep you under 70% throughout the day.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2