PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   software cd what is it for? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105004)

potatolove 01-06-2010 09:08 PM

software cd what is it for?

hello
sorry to sound stupid but what is the software cd for?
if i need to unlock my tp2 to use with rogers do i need to install the cd first?
im confused about the steps and a lilttle anxious!!
i have absolutely no idea what the software cd does or what is it for
hope someone can help!!
thanks!

HTC_TP 01-06-2010 09:23 PM

Re: software cd what is it for?

I can only speak to the CD I received from Sprint, but generally the included contains a copy of MS Activesync and MS Mobile Device Center(both used to sync and depends on your Operating System version); a 60-day trial version of MS Outlook and the User Guide. I've never cracked open the CD....

potatolove 01-06-2010 09:42 PM

what do u mean you never cracked open the cd?
so does that mean i dont need to sync ?

HTC_TP 01-06-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatolove (Post 1466228)
what do u mean you never cracked open the cd?
so does that mean i dont need to sync ?

What I meant is I have never found any need to open the sealed flap on the CD. I already have Mobile Device Center already installed along with a full version of MS Outlook 2007, so there was no need to install anything for me.

potatolove 01-06-2010 09:50 PM

sorry to bug you
but that means i have to open the cd to install the Mobile Device Center and the ms outlook?
and do i have to to use the phone?
like what is it for?
sorry for sounding stupid again and i hope you have patience to deal with my stupidity!
thanks!

HTC_TP 01-06-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatolove (Post 1466246)
sorry to bug you
but that means i have to open the cd to install the Mobile Device Center and the ms outlook?
and do i have to to use the phone?
like what is it for?
sorry for sounding stupid again and i hope you have patience to deal with my stupidity!
thanks!

No worries! There is no requirement for you to install any of the included software to your computer to use the phone, so proceed with confidence. Activesync(Windows XP)/Mobile Device Center(Windows Vista/7) merely allow you to explorer and transfer files between you computer and your TP2. It is also the conduit(i.e. connection) used if you wanted to sync contacts/Calendar/email/Tasks between your computer and your TP2.

clueless25 01-06-2010 11:22 PM

Mine from verizon was junk. Only thing good was the manual

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatolove (Post 1466146)
hello
sorry to sound stupid but what is the software cd for?
if i need to unlock my tp2 to use with rogers do i need to install the cd first?
im confused about the steps and a lilttle anxious!!
i have absolutely no idea what the software cd does or what is it for
hope someone can help!!
thanks!

TheBundo 01-06-2010 11:29 PM

I already had downloaded the Sprint Manual in pdf before I got the TP2 in early Sept., so I use mine as a coaster for beer cans

OR78 01-06-2010 11:31 PM

It makes a great coaster!:mrgreen:

CovKid66 01-06-2010 11:40 PM

+1 on the coffee (or tea in my case) coaster!!!

You can, and probably should, download anything you need, like ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center, directly from the developer's site...so you get the latest version. Per chance you need the manual, then you should be able to get that from the CD.

If you don't use Outlook today, then you may want to look at something like a Gmail account, and sync your data via that method instead of Outlook. I do use Outlook personally, but only because we use it at work.

Other than that you may find some trial software on the CD if you're interested.

mikeszekely 01-07-2010 12:08 AM

You get two CDs with Verizon (neither of which I used). One has a copy of the user's guide and the VZAccess Manager software (some kind of tethering software?). The other has ActiveSync 4.5. IIRC, ActiveSync is used to sync WinMo devices to Windows XP. Vista and Windows 7 already have software for that built in.

Don't know about other carriers, but the Verizon TP2 doesn't need to be synced at all. When you plug it into a computer, the phone will ask if you want to sync it or just have it just up as a USB Mass Storage Device.

potatolove 01-07-2010 12:24 AM

i think i understand =D
THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH <3