PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 01:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

TP1085 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
someone convince me to unlock and flash a rom

i've been reading these forums for months now, and i just finally got my tp2 about a week ago, and its so much better than the original. however, as with the original, i'm nervous to unlock it and unsure how much improvement i'll see. i know i want to try flashing i'm just nervous that something would randomly go wrong and screw up my phone - paranoid, i know. anyway, just ranting i guess and looking for someone to convince me to make the leap. if i do, i think it would be to mighty mikes 2.1 rom, it sounds like it is the most stable, which im looking for, despite really liking the looks and especially the people tab of 2.5.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 AM
What did you say?
Pocket PC: Rhodium

Mayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: someone convince me to unlock and flash a rom

well for one you can get off the sprint junk off the phone...

you will have WM 6.5 that im my opinion is better... and you can change your rom to what ever you like

its not that hard... i say go for it... many of us are willing to help if you need it... read the unlocker thread and go from there.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i would flash if what i have is boring to me. the great thing is, you can always go back to stock if you don't like whatever roms you try!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

steveholtam is keeping up the good worksteveholtam is keeping up the good work

I had the exact same worries and fears with my TP1. But I flashed my TP2 on day one and I am glad I did. I opted for Juicy R6, and it has all the bells and whistles I was looking for. The SSS Rom also looks very good.

I've had a few little bugs, but nothing was unable to figure out. Now every day I look for new tweaks and mods for my phone, which keeps it new and exciting.

I am sure you will love your flashed phone. If not, just undo the flash. Of course it would be hard to look at a boring stock rom at that point.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

mjcole2003 is keeping up the good workmjcole2003 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP1085 View Post
i've been reading these forums for months now, and i just finally got my tp2 about a week ago, and its so much better than the original. however, as with the original, i'm nervous to unlock it and unsure how much improvement i'll see. i know i want to try flashing i'm just nervous that something would randomly go wrong and screw up my phone - paranoid, i know. anyway, just ranting i guess and looking for someone to convince me to make the leap. if i do, i think it would be to mighty mikes 2.1 rom, it sounds like it is the most stable, which im looking for, despite really liking the looks and especially the people tab of 2.5.
I usually suggest to people to wait the 30 days to make sure you're phone is not defective. When you unlock your phone it voids your warranty so you dont want to unlock and flash a new rom to a defective device. What if you can't get it back to stock? This will also give you time to read ahead and look at all of the various roms . It will also allow you to prepare yourself for everything you need to know when you do flash your new rom. So basically im saying to just take your time and then when you're ready just jump on in..."the water's nice and refreshing..."
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

yeah wait a month first... so you know exactly what youre gaining or losing with custom ROMs. plus some phones decide to fail after a couple weeks so its always good to make sure you got a solid phone.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint CDMA Touch Pro 2

mikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to mikedboyd

I started 'flashing' with my PPC6700 (sounds like a need for group therapy). it was very scary and when things didn't go well, I stressed quite a bit. I skipped the TP1 and Diamond generation, but got back in with the TP2. As soon as the unlocker was available I made the jump (after a week or so, to let the first adopters hit the major issues). I know people that don't flash, and wouldn't flash. They think I'm insane for constantly messing with my phone, at a deep level. It's a hobby and I really really like being out on the edge a little. This is a very safe way to do that. Don't feel like you have to change from stock, but don't hesitate either, if that's your inclination. Like I saw above, you've got lots of support here. Read read and read some more. Use the search, here and over at the XDA Developers forums. Also sometimes search on Goolge with PPCGeeks or XDA in the search string. I find that method to be a little more forgiving of inexact search parameters sometimes. Anyway, whatever you do, enjoy your TP2. It's a MARVELOUS phone and fun toy.

Be sure to thank me IF I help .............................
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nycxhobbes is just getting started

My 2 Cents:
I also bought the Sprint TP2 and the stock rom is actually quite impressive for stock. It is very stable and good on the memory usage. My TP1 was terrible but like you I was a bit intimidated with the whole business of "flashing" as there seemed to be so much to read up on so I never flashed my TP1. Personally I flashed my TP2 about 2 months after I got it. I first tried the 2.5 Leo Roms, and found that most were laggy and required a bit of work arounds to function fully. I hear that this has changed in the last few weeks and perhaps I will give it another try in the near future. I have since decided on NRG Pheonix 2.1 build 21885. It is a very stable and fast rom that feels like it was meant to be a stock rom. The only issue that I have with it is that the RAM usage seems to sit a little high after a day or two of usage (71-77% mem usage) but in terms of speed you don't really notice any change. Now the things I will warn you about flashing your rom:

1. It is HIGHLY addictive. Like a future fat kid who just discovered the taste of cake, you will find yourself trying out all of the different roms out there just to see what it is like. You WILL spend AT LEAST an additional hour per day (at work, at home, or on the toilet) reading up on the lastest builds and the newest tweaks.

2. Not all roms are created equal. All of the cooks are wonderful and great but keep in mind that they build their roms with different priorities. Usually, you can find 90% of what you are looking for in 1 particular rom, and the other 10% you will either have to deal without or find some work around yourself for it.

3. I suggest you dedicated one full saturday on the day you finally decide to flash your first rom. Lock yourself in a room, ignore all forms of communication, and just get down and dirty with the roms. You are not going to be happy if you flash a rom and are interrupted in the middle of installing all of your cabs and tweaks.

4. Follow instructions and always ask for help! While I am a noobie at flashing as well I have heard some horror stories about phones being bricked, which is something I never would want to happen to me or you. So ALWAYS backup any regedits, ALWAYS ask for help if you don't know what you are doing, ALWAYS remember to thank the person helping you.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint CDMA Touch Pro 2

mikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to mikedboyd

An additional note, I agree with nycxhobbes about the time requirements and the addictive potential. I'm on the 7PPC ROM and love it. David is updating it once a week or so and it is very stable. It is 6.5.3 Windows and 2.5 Manila. What I really like is that he builds in most of the tweaks and tools that I WAS loading on my own anyway. He has also built in some programs to let you change clocks, slider icons and default browser. It's really very nice.

I also recommend looking into a rom that uses XDA_UC (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=3611692). I use Sashimi to load in my .cab's, files, registry entries, xml files, etc., but XDA_UC does most of that, and easier.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SPRINT

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep

This is an easy one................Are you ready???????????????Wait for it.........Wait for it...............It makes the phone much much better!!!!!!!!!!!! : tshirt:

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2