PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

nbaj2k is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can HTC Fooprints capture location with Data turned off?

I'm currently overseas and do not have CDMA coverage. I was thinking about switching to a ROM with HTC Footprints, so I could take pictures of different locations with their GPS coordinates being captured. Will that still work with my Touch Pro 2 since there is no CDMA coverage and I have the data turned off (so I don't get charged any ridiculous data roaming charges). I know the phone has built in GPS, but I had a feeling that data was needed also to capture location, is that true?

Thanks,

~J
Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro, diamond, touch pro2, bb 9650
Carrier: sprint

CnDm111 is a n00b
Re: Can HTC Fooprints capture location with Data turned off?

gps uses data
Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

nbaj2k is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnDm111 View Post
gps uses data
I guess that answers my question, thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro, diamond, touch pro2, bb 9650
Carrier: sprint

CnDm111 is a n00b

np man yea all that crap uses data
Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

BorisM is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnDm111 View Post
gps uses data
Really?

GPS does not use data. A-GPS and QuickjGPS data downloads do, but neither is necessary to achieve GPS lock.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisM View Post
Really?

GPS does not use data. A-GPS and QuickjGPS data downloads do, but neither is necessary to achieve GPS lock.
the gps lock it self doesn't use data, but 95% of programs that use the gps lock uses data. footprints uses data for example. Google maps uses data. If you have something like tomtom maps on your storage card, that doesn't use data and can still lock on.
Google is the next skynet
Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

BorisM is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
the gps lock it self doesn't use data, but 95% of programs that use the gps lock uses data. footprints uses data for example. Google maps uses data. If you have something like tomtom maps on your storage card, that doesn't use data and can still lock on.
Hard to say from Footprints description if it _needs_ data, though. For simple geotagging of pictures it's not necessary. If it won't work without being able to name the picture by location, then yes, it'd need data...

Not really sure about 95% though... all real navigation apps use maps on the device. Google Maps or Bing, sure... those need data.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisM View Post
Hard to say from Footprints description if it _needs_ data, though. For simple geotagging of pictures it's not necessary. If it won't work without being able to name the picture by location, then yes, it'd need data...

Not really sure about 95% though... all real navigation apps use maps on the device. Google Maps or Bing, sure... those need data.
footprints doesn't have anything stored on your phone, so it obviously has to access data to get info about your location. Bing and google maps do not store anything on your phone either except a simple cache file which is why they need to access data. Tomtom maps and other standalone gps programs store the whole US map on a storage card and do not require anything else except a gps lock, those often work better for gps because they save massive amounts of battery by not using data nor do you require a cellphone signal (ie evdo or 1x)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2