PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Who's getting Nexus One? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104791)

joeramirez 01-05-2010 04:22 PM

Who's getting Nexus One?

I wasn't that interested until I saw that VZ will have it in the spring. T-Mobile will have for $179 with 2 year contract. If my wife allows me, I might make the switch.

kevmo1965 01-05-2010 04:29 PM

Re: Who's getting Nexus One?

What's so special about it compared to the other android phones? Besides VZW will figure out a way to cripple the device.

drewcam888 01-05-2010 04:29 PM

no keyboard = not a worthy phone

tr0s 01-05-2010 04:36 PM

it looks a little too much like the hero, eris, and my touch.... it does have a 5mp camera and the 1ghz processor which would be smoking with android but i think i'm going to wait until a full keyboard comes out (though swype could convert me).

Noir 01-05-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevmo1965 (Post 1462870)
What's so special about it compared to the other android phones? Besides VZW will figure out a way to cripple the device.

oh because they did it so bad to the touch pro 2/imagio/hero/moto droid

I will look up to the top of this forum and see that android will be on our devices...do I need another android device? NOPE

Rafy0003 01-05-2010 04:41 PM

Why again is this in the TP2 forum? Android is too beta as far as Internet browsing goes and other app's. I didnt like the hero too too much.

Boo Boo 01-05-2010 04:41 PM

this really doesn't belong here

brownhornet 01-05-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafy0003 (Post 1462910)
Why again is this in the TP2 forum? Android is too beta as far as Internet browsing goes and other app's. I didnt like the hero too too much.

Too beta... cant agree with you on that one having handled a droid. And honestly the apps they're getting are apps WE arent.

p-slim 01-05-2010 04:53 PM

I'm with everyone else, I don't know what makes this phone so special compared to the other droids? Once Sprint gives out the update to 2.1, I would probably rather have a hero (I mean if i even wanted a droid)

krohnjw 01-05-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1462956)
I'm with everyone else, I don't know what makes this phone so special compared to the other droids? Once Sprint gives out the update to 2.1, I would probably rather have a hero (I mean if i even wanted a droid)

I am guessing it's mostly due to the 1Ghz processor and the screen upgrade (3.7" AMOLED @ 480x800). The hero's downgrade in screen size and resolution from the TP2 is really quite noticeable.

JokeZony0u 01-05-2010 05:06 PM

lol...is there gonna be a thread about every new phone that comes out- anyways, it isn't that "great" of a phone, another overly hyped phone thanks to all the phone junkies out there

Eschelon 01-05-2010 05:06 PM

Time for this forum's weekly debate of WinMo vs. Android disgust

theroyalwe 01-05-2010 05:11 PM

I just saw a note about it being official on my rss ticker and figured that the first time I look in this forum I'll see a message about when someone is going to change to it. Thanks for fulfilling the prophecy.

As with every new phone there will be plusses and minuses. Perhaps we should wait until it's actually available before we start conjecture on whether it's worth switching.

I'm thinking that most of us have the tp2 cause we want a phone with a hardware keyboard. as such, I don't see this phone doing it for me.

p-slim 01-05-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krohnjw (Post 1462976)
I am guessing it's mostly due to the 1Ghz processor and the screen upgrade (3.7" AMOLED @ 480x800). The hero's downgrade in screen size and resolution from the TP2 is really quite noticeable.

thanks, I'm not really familiar with the droids, I thought they all had 1ghz processors. I knew the resolution was lower but i didn't know the actual screen size was going to be different. I just like the winmo os better so i'm staying here for sure. I don't think anybody would leave tp2 for a droid because if someone wanted a droid they wouldve already had one, I doubt they were waiting for a faster processor to switch.

brownhornet 01-05-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1463013)
thanks, I'm not really familiar with the droids, I thought they all had 1ghz processors. I knew the resolution was lower but i didn't know the actual screen size was going to be different. I just like the winmo os better so i'm staying here for sure. I don't think anybody would leave tp2 for a droid because if someone wanted a droid they wouldve already had one, I doubt they were waiting for a faster processor to switch.

Your thought would be incorrect my friend lol. I'm not gonna crank up the debate again but I honestly feel like i've come to the end of the line with winmo after this phone. So much new technology out there as far as OS go...gotta upgrade. Oh that and the fact that im going to have to send my SECOND tp2 back for a replacement over a hardware malfunction yet again. Doesnt have anything to do with the OS I know but I think im about done with winmo & HTC altogether.. too many issues.

Wesley762 01-05-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1462871)

+1 totaly agree.

p-slim 01-05-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1463058)
Your thought would be incorrect my friend lol. I'm not gonna crank up the debate again but I honestly feel like i've come to the end of the line with winmo after this phone. So much new technology out there as far as OS go...gotta upgrade. Oh that and the fact that im going to have to send my SECOND tp2 back for a replacement over a hardware malfunction yet again. Doesnt have anything to do with the OS I know but I think im about done with winmo & HTC altogether.. too many issues.

I think i'm still correct though, are you waiting for a 1gzh processor and bigger screen on android or are you waiting till you just get fed up with winmo? I said i doubt people were waiting for that particular phone to switch which is why i said the thread is useless. if you want to switch off of winmo for other reasons then that is fine, but were you honestly waiting for the nexus? thats my only point.

rdcrds 01-05-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafy0003 (Post 1462910)

I know this is getting out of hand how many threads about other phones and such are showing up in this forum and do not get removed.

Maybe if they let us take away rep they would stop :)

rorytmeadows 01-05-2010 06:36 PM

WinMo > Android

Hard Keyboard > Soft Keyboard

Google blows

I'm sorry, but I left being a fan of Google when they installed their own background software on my PC without my permission. Google Updater? Don't do shit without my permission or knowledge. Yes, other people do it (everyone almost), but a service? Google Updater is SOOOO important it is registered as a SERVICE? GIVE ME A BREAK. No one needs a background updater for their ****ing searchbar.

rorytmeadows 01-05-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

+1

or figure out a way to charge you an extra $60/month to use all it's features.

japper88 01-05-2010 06:37 PM

NO because it won't be available on Sprint SERO!

jmorton10 01-05-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Besides VZW will figure out a way to cripple the device.

Verizon stopped doing that, none of their current phones are "crippled"

The VZ TP2 hardware is identical to the Sprint version (& much better looking to most people) ;-)

~John

dallastx 01-05-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Keyboard = 1980

rorytmeadows 01-05-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallastx (Post 1463328)
Keyboard = 1980

Nothing types faster!

neodarksaver 01-05-2010 07:44 PM

i am voluntarily stuck at sprint... :P so keeping my tp2.

dallastx 01-05-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rorytmeadows (Post 1463450)
Nothing types faster!

I type faster on a virtual keyboard anyday...But its all preference although i don't see physical keyboards being around much longer.

ajac 01-05-2010 07:59 PM

doubt sprint will ever get this device they dont like popular devices it seems

grad20_09 01-05-2010 08:07 PM

I want a Sprint version. I don't think I could ever completely rid myself of winmo, therefore whenever snapdragon comes to winmo/android cdma im buying one of each and opening an extra line just cuz I can. But has to be with Sprint :/

whetzel 01-05-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

That's kind of my thought any more.

As soon as a full QWERTY Keyboard (hopefully a lot like the Touch Pro 2) is released with the Android OS I'll seriously consider it (I really don't like the one released so far, ie, Driod), but until then, I'll just stick with my Touch Pro 2.

rorytmeadows 01-05-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallastx (Post 1463498)
I type faster on a virtual keyboard anyday...But its all preference although i don't see physical keyboards being around much longer.

haha, you sound like a iphone user that can't accept that they bought the wrong phone!

mikeszekely 01-05-2010 08:19 PM

The Nexus One is good-looking hardware... but I'm still not a fan of Android, and the Nexus One doesn't even have Sense.

whetzel 01-05-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rorytmeadows (Post 1463450)
Nothing types faster!

I agree.

I personally would have a VERY hard time justifying a phone purchase without a physical keyboard. And it's not just because I'm "not use to" a virtual keyboard either. I owned a Samsung Omnia for almost a year and I absolutely hated texting on that phone.

mikeszekely 01-05-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetzel (Post 1463541)
I agree.

I personally would have a VERY hard time justifying a phone purchase without a physical keyboard. And it's not just because I'm "not use to" a virtual keyboard either. I owned a Samsung Omnia for almost a year and I absolutely hated texting on that phone.

Was your touch screen as bad as mine? I couldn't type the number 1 or the letter A at all if the screen was using a portrait orientation. I was more or less relying on xt9 to figure out what I mean, and I wound up so frustrated that I kept the Omnia for all of nine months before I couldn't take it anymore and bought my Touch Pro2.

p-slim 01-05-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeszekely (Post 1463550)
Was your touch screen as bad as mine? I couldn't type the number 1 or the letter A at all if the screen was using a portrait orientation. I was more or less relying on xt9 to figure out what I mean, and I wound up so frustrated that I kept the Omnia for all of nine months before I couldn't take it anymore and bought my Touch Pro2.

if its not a capacitive screen and imho snapdragon processor, on screen keyboards do suck. xt9 is a great enhancement and actually allows some people to type faster than with an actual keyboard. With that being said hd2 is the only way to go. Nexus is not happening.

Rager02 01-05-2010 08:41 PM

im skipping this phone for sure.windows mobile has been to good to me.

whetzel 01-05-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeszekely (Post 1463550)

Yes. Mine was pretty bad.

A friend of mine bought an Omnia shortly after I bought mine and his was the same way. A few months later he took a swim with it and had to turn it over to the insurance to get a new one. His new one was MUCH better (I've heard they changed the screens part way through the life cycle), but it still wasn't nearly as good as the screen on the Touch Pro 2.

mikeszekely 01-05-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetzel (Post 1463634)
Yes. Mine was pretty bad.

A friend of mine bought an Omnia shortly after I bought mine and his was the same way. A few months later he took a swim with it and had to turn it over to the insurance to get a new one. His new one was MUCH better (I've heard they changed the screens part way through the life cycle), but it still wasn't nearly as good as the screen on the Touch Pro 2.

I've noticed that the screen on the TP2 seems a lot better. I've had no trouble typing what I wanted with it when I was too lazy to slide out the keyboard to type something short. For typing anything more than a name into my contacts, though, nothing beats that hardware keyboard. Even if I could get a phone that did everything I wanted with a super responsive capacitive screen, I'd still want a hardware keyboard.

Mayonesa 01-05-2010 10:13 PM

im a windows guy... if i could change from droid to windows on the same phone i would be ok with that... but i cant just have droid.

nothing wrong with it i guess. i just like to change things

kabuk1 01-05-2010 10:24 PM

I admit I like the hardware designs of Android phones, but I just don't see the whole appeal of android itself.

WisdomWolfX 01-05-2010 10:44 PM

I actually was strongly considering this phone, but as reflected here it's gotta have a hardware keyboard and I probably won't be leaving Sprint anytime soon. I know people can claim all day which type of keyboard is faster, but I have learned to type most things without looking at my keyboard because I can feel it. That is the difference that no onscreen keyboard can makeup for.