PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

zachavm is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sashimi vs. SPB Backup (Rom Flashing)

What do people use and what do they consider the best options? I'm considering both, but I'm worried that SPB backup might create some issues. For instance, I don't want it to over-right the entire registry and change things that might have been instituted by the ROM creator for a purpose.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Sashimi vs. SPB Backup (Rom Flashing)

I use UC and Sashimi and both are far better than SPB Backup for me. Not only do they only install what I want, but they are also free. Many of the chefs cook their roms UC capable but Sashimi will run from the memory card.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Ender519 is keeping up the good workEnder519 is keeping up the good work

I successfully used SPB Backup with MightyROM, despite a couple of issues the first time I tried it. I did a full backup, upgraded from current MightyROM to next version of MightyROM and did a restore forcing "ROM Upgrade" mode, and it worked entirely.

I do not know how successful you would be going from stock to custom ROM, or from say MightyROM to EnergyROM, but I can tell you it did GREAT for jumping to latest release.

Sashimi, I've not had good luck with, but that's probably my own ignorance.. there is quite a bit of work involved to figure it out and get it down to a science. However, since you control everything it's far less of a "cross your fingers and see" like restoring from SPB is.

Since SPB is the easier way to go, download the trial. You can run it up to 5 times in trial mode, each time it creates a self executable backup separate from SPB (so you do not have to reinstall SPB to restore the backup) and this can be used when you upgrade the ROM. If it doesn't work in ROM upgrade mode there is a full restore which should return your device to the original ROM. If you have to do THAT, then sashimi may be your best bet.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

I use SPB and like it generically for backing up your phone into a nice executable backup file which you can save to your PC...as for restoring, there is an option to do it in ROM upgrade mode, but I would not recommend it, as you are likely at some point along the way to build up legacy registry entries that could cause issues down the road...always better to do a PIM restore and then use UC or Sashimi to restore your programs and basic reg entries...I personally use SPB and UC...UC mostly just to automate the CAB installation process...as others have noted, Sashimi is very versatile, but does take some time to really get it set up properly if you are doing anything beyond basic CAB installs...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

sashimi is extremely simple guys. spend a couple hours and learn how to use it, its not that tough. i use spb backup but not for changing roms. i do a daily backup with spb because i cant afford to lose any info i have on my phone, but for changing/upgrading roms i would use sashimi or uc. when changing roms because of differences is the registry etc. using a program like spb could potentially cause a lot of issues
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
sashimi is extremely simple guys. spend a couple hours and learn how to use it, its not that tough. i use spb backup but not for changing roms. i do a daily backup with spb because i cant afford to lose any info i have on my phone, but for changing/upgrading roms i would use sashimi or uc. when changing roms because of differences is the registry etc. using a program like spb could potentially cause a lot of issues
when i used sashimi on 6.5.1 energy leo ROM, it worked great for installing all my CABs automatically... problem is that the cabs in the storage card folder in sashimi auto directory installed to main memory, instead of to storge card. any thoughts on why it did this? it was my first time running auto install with sashimi, but from the videos i watched.. it should've installed SC cabs to storage card by itself. thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TyTN II
Carrier: AT&T

AbysmalTech is a n00b

In the past I have not had the chance to try to SASHIMI or UC, though I hear a lot about them. For the most part I would use PIMBackup or an manually reinstall the cabs (which I reckon is a real pain). Recently I started using Sprite Backup but have no done a ROM upgrade and used it. Taken from previous comments I would suppose that wouldn't be a wise choice for similar reasons if using SPB Backup or another alternative. Am I correct?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

That's correct, and in my experience, SPB is a far superior backup program either way...I've found Sprite to be fairly unreliable actually, including file corruptions, etc...and PIMBackup is just awful...much better off doing a PIM backup with SPB or Sprite...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

zachavm is just getting started

Can someone provide some links to UC? I'm not sure were the information on it is.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
+1

All you need to do in Sashimi is dump your cabs in Sashimi's auto/cab folder and your specific registry backups in the auto/reg folder (if you choose to do this part). Then just install Sashimi after a hard reset and select 'auto' and then just sit back with a mimosa while Sashimi does all the work until it finishes. Simple as pie

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2