PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 AM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Could Windows mobile 7 be for real

I could be wrong, but I doubt there will be an official release for the TP2. In all likelihood, the hardware on the TP2 wouldn't perform the way MS would want their new flagship OS to perform. They will likely want it on the higher end hardware (i.e. snapdragon).

Now it may come unofficially to the TP2, but that really depends on how loyal and talented the TP2 community is when WM7 is finally released. For example, WM6 was put on the Apache and WM6.1 on the Treo700wx even though the highest official OS for them was 5.0 because there was still interest in those phones.

My prediction is that Android will pull out ahead due to it's open design. WM will eventually pull out of the game unless MS really changes their game plan.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

homeland is a n00b

Is this really being questioned? I thought it was pretty well known it will be out next year. MS better get it out with a descent marketplace. They have wasted so much time already. Don't understand why they took so long. Mobile gaming + achievement points tied to your 360 account (live anywhere) = $$$$ Not saying they will have it but seems like a common sense move to make.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Awesome thread lol

but according to MS< itll be out later this year, the only phone currently available that will be able to officially upgrade is the HD2. WM7 requires a 1Ghz processor. ofc that wont stop chefs from getting it to our TP2s, but as I said, officially only the HD2 can handle it
Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint/Employee

c0011j is becoming a great contributor

I spoke with a vendor who said that we will probably be seeing WM7 builds in the next couple months.

I take any news about WM7 with the grain of salt... (did I say that right? lol)
Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

microsoft is beginning to have a track record for releases within the past 3 years. Let's summarize for a moment

windows vista - laughed out of the face of existence due to the heavy use of resources, sluggish performance, and lack of legacy driver support. While it was made a flagship to many devices, it wasn't the best

zune - It was an interesting device but by the time microsoft entered the foray of mp4 devices, apple already had touch screen and a very competitive advertising campaign. Low sales of the zune often saw it with low prices in compared to its apple counterpart. When the new zune mini was released as competition to the ipod nano, it was received with mixed reviews.

Windows mobile 6/6.1/6.5 - need I say anything about this? to the business user as well as a few other users (ppcgeeks/xda) windows mobile was often ridiculed as slow and unappealing in the eyes of both the apple iphone/ipod touch and google android

and yet...microsoft pressed on...

windows 7 - Nothing but good praise from many users/blog writers, reviewers which define windows 7 to be what vista is truly capable of and arguing that it is more stable than the argued best OS for users windows xp.

zune hd - while smaller than the ipod/iphone, the zune hd is quintessentially the best device for mp4 format. Amoled display, excruciatingly fast and innovative, the zune hd is everything that the zune wasn't. And again, many were impressed with the speed, function, and just beauty of the zune hd.

windows mobile 7???

If anything microsoft is releasing is turning to gold, it has to be its mobile platform. I think microsoft is listening to its consumers a lot more and implementing things seen on other platforms (much akin to pinch gesture on apple) but innovating it (similar to htc by allowing the device to completely reflow text once the zoom is complete). I think in general, the small incremental changes will become a giant leap forward that will keep windows mobile afloat and I don't think many will be dismayed by windows mobile for a bit.

One thing that is unique is evolution - I think the dominance once held by apple is crumbling and even apple is in trouble. If there wasn't any advertising from apple, I am definitely sure the apple wouldn't be selling in favor of the google android handsets. That being said, google seems to be in the forefront of at least taking a large hold of mobile market. But I think that many will go back to the lab after the release of windows mobile 7.

Sadly our devices won't get it unless cmonex and nochem find a bs/p for 6.5 and then 7. If they find it for 6.5, you gotta think it won't be much longer for 7...at least so we hope. If anything, the few handsets with snapdragon processors (hd2, acer, toshiba) will have some alpha leaks in the coming future I'm sure...and microsoft AND htc will announce something this month at CES as per usual and many will gravitate to that like a fly on honey. I guess the point is to stay tuned...
This post has been thanked 9 times.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

It doesn't really matter when Microsoft releases it. An official RUU will never come out for our devices. Hell, WM6.5 came out months ago and most of us are still waiting for the official release.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Pro Touch 2 (VZW)
Carrier: VZW

Pride is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniacJedi View Post
Windows Mobile 7 is a figment of your imagination.

But if you look to your right you'll see Big Foot riding the Loch Ness Monster.

lololololol
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Skippy38 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
microsoft is beginning to have a track record for releases within the past 3 years. Let's summarize for a moment

windows vista - laughed out of the face of existence due to the heavy use of resources, sluggish performance, and lack of legacy driver support. While it was made a flagship to many devices, it wasn't the best

zune - It was an interesting device but by the time microsoft entered the foray of mp4 devices, apple already had touch screen and a very competitive advertising campaign. Low sales of the zune often saw it with low prices in compared to its apple counterpart. When the new zune mini was released as competition to the ipod nano, it was received with mixed reviews.

Windows mobile 6/6.1/6.5 - need I say anything about this? to the business user as well as a few other users (ppcgeeks/xda) windows mobile was often ridiculed as slow and unappealing in the eyes of both the apple iphone/ipod touch and google android

and yet...microsoft pressed on...

windows 7 - Nothing but good praise from many users/blog writers, reviewers which define windows 7 to be what vista is truly capable of and arguing that it is more stable than the argued best OS for users windows xp.

zune hd - while smaller than the ipod/iphone, the zune hd is quintessentially the best device for mp4 format. Amoled display, excruciatingly fast and innovative, the zune hd is everything that the zune wasn't. And again, many were impressed with the speed, function, and just beauty of the zune hd.

windows mobile 7???

If anything microsoft is releasing is turning to gold, it has to be its mobile platform. I think microsoft is listening to its consumers a lot more and implementing things seen on other platforms (much akin to pinch gesture on apple) but innovating it (similar to htc by allowing the device to completely reflow text once the zoom is complete). I think in general, the small incremental changes will become a giant leap forward that will keep windows mobile afloat and I don't think many will be dismayed by windows mobile for a bit.

One thing that is unique is evolution - I think the dominance once held by apple is crumbling and even apple is in trouble. If there wasn't any advertising from apple, I am definitely sure the apple wouldn't be selling in favor of the google android handsets. That being said, google seems to be in the forefront of at least taking a large hold of mobile market. But I think that many will go back to the lab after the release of windows mobile 7.

Sadly our devices won't get it unless cmonex and nochem find a bs/p for 6.5 and then 7. If they find it for 6.5, you gotta think it won't be much longer for 7...at least so we hope. If anything, the few handsets with snapdragon processors (hd2, acer, toshiba) will have some alpha leaks in the coming future I'm sure...and microsoft AND htc will announce something this month at CES as per usual and many will gravitate to that like a fly on honey. I guess the point is to stay tuned...
Fantastic view point. Great post I thanked.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

tp2 is not getting winmo 7, the processor is too slow. heres what conflipper had to say,
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...postcount=8007
Google is the next skynet
Old 01-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcgpirate View Post
I doubt the TP2 meets MS requirements for Winmo 7.
I'm pretty sure Windows Mobile 7 requires a 1GHz processor, so I think you're right

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2