PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: pro2
Carrier: sprint

birddseedd is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Could Windows mobile 7 be for real

im thinkin from my wifes standpoint yellin at me for makin noise in bed when she's sleeping (i saw her wake up from a dead sleep because of a flee, im serious. a flee)
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

bkrodgers is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
I just read on 1800pocketpc.com that W7 will NOT be backwards compatible. I'm no rumormonger, but if this is true, I really hope they offer it as a companion OS for regular Winmo. If not- count me the hell out of this 'upgrade'. I do not know why companies do this(coughPALMcough), unless they just enjoy pissing off legacy users.
I find that incredibly hard to believe -- it'd be insanely dumb. Though that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. MS is already struggling to attract developers to the platform (and keep the ones they have).

It also doesn't fit with their reported strategy of keeping 6.5.X around for lower cost devices. It is not a good idea to have two active platforms that require separate development and aren't compatible.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

Paragon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
I find that incredibly hard to believe -- it'd be insanely dumb. Though that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. MS is already struggling to attract developers to the platform (and keep the ones they have).

It also doesn't fit with their reported strategy of keeping 6.5.X around for lower cost devices. It is not a good idea to have two active platforms that require separate development and aren't compatible.
Well it looks to be true, and it makes a lot of sense. WM7 is being developed with an all new core OS. This itself would make backward compatability difficult. It also makes sense as to why they are continuing down the WM6.5 path. This gives those who want to stay with legacy applications the ability to do so.

With Microsoft's mantra of "Three screens and a cloud" it would seem logical that they would have to make some major changes to Wiondows Mobile to work more seamlessly with other computers in the group.

To you and I it may seem very stupid not to have backwards compatibility, but I think in the big picture I'm sure it is worthwhile. It's not like the folks at MS don't see the drawbacks of broken backwards compatibility, that's why I say they have decided to continue down the WM6.5 path for a while.

Dave

Last edited by Paragon; 01-17-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

gcianc is becoming a great contributor

WM6.x will be supported & updated well into the future because people in the USA buy phones with 2 year contracts.

For that reason you could also argue "dump all legacy support" is not a real issue or problem.

But all conversation of it seems premature based on anything like this blog/report. There is NO DOUBT MS would want legacy support and it's non-inclusion would be for deadline reasons only (project dates slipping, remove huge obstacle to maintain deadline of xmas 2010 launch).

You'd need an instant "MARKETPLACE" of apps or games to launch with WM7 at it's launch, almost like a new game console in the USA requires a few dozen great launch titles. That seems foolish and unnecessary. Even if it only meant a recompile by developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Well it looks to be true, and it makes a lot of sense. WM7 is being developed with an all new core OS. This itself would make backward compatability difficult. It also makes sense as to why they are continuing down the WM6.5 path. This gives those who want to stay with legacy applications the ability to do so.

With Microsoft's mantra of "Three screens and a cloud" it would seem logical that they would have to make some major changes to Wiondows Mobile to work more seamlessly with other computers in the group.

To you and I it may seem very stupid not to have backwards compatibility, but I think in the big picture I'm sure it is worthwhile. It's not like the folks at MS don't see the drawbacks of broken backwards compatibility, that's why I say they have decided to continue down the WM6.5 path for a while.

Dave
Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcianc View Post
WM6.x will be supported & updated well into the future because people in the USA buy phones with 2 year contracts.

For that reason you could also argue "dump all legacy support" is not a real issue or problem.

But all conversation of it seems premature based on anything like this blog/report. There is NO DOUBT MS would want legacy support and it's non-inclusion would be for deadline reasons only (project dates slipping, remove huge obstacle to maintain deadline of xmas 2010 launch).

You'd need an instant "MARKETPLACE" of apps or games to launch with WM7 at it's launch, almost like a new game console in the USA requires a few dozen great launch titles. That seems foolish and unnecessary. Even if it only meant a recompile by developers.
And Microsoft would never do something like that to its already existing business-class. That's the only thing they care more about than personal/home users.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

I really hate the whole "cloud" concept. It is the stupidest idea I've heard. You just can't base a whole device off of internet connectivity. What happens if there's an outage? Or the storage servers go down? Thousands of users will be SOL. And what of the users who don't sign up for data? Any mobile device should be 100% usable as a standalone. You should not need a good signal & a data plan to play music or watch a video.

Oooh this makes me mad. Why do they have to ruin everything? I guess if they keep normal WM around it won't be bad but if they try to replace it with this new cloud BS I'm gonna cry.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC

Last edited by kabuk1; 01-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I really hate the whole "cloud" concept. It is the stupidest idea I've heard. You just can't base a whole device off of internet connectivity. What happens if there's an outage? Or the storage servers go down? Thousands of users will be SOL. And what of the users who don't sign up for data? Any mobile device should be 100% usable as a standalone. You should not need a good signal & a data plan to play music or watch a video.

Oooh this makes me mad. Why do they have to ruin everything? I guess if they keep normal WM around it won't be bad but if they try to replace it with this new cloud BS I'm gonna cry.
I agree. Blackberry service is a perfect example. Out again today, out once a month at least. Plus, I feel sorry for those that live near just one tower, as if that one goes out, no service.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

Paragon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

I do to, and for pretty much the same reasons.

Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I do to, and for pretty much the same reasons.

Dave
Its too 'Beast' computer like and end of the book of Revelations to me.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

gcianc is becoming a great contributor

if you use the internet you use a cloud.

99% of smartphone users DO NOT want email/info stored EXCLUSIVELY (ie. locked) on a "single device" rather a server where it can sync any device you're presently using (phone, laptop, pc in transit, home, work for example).

you want to check mail on a phone, delete it and when you get on a PC the email is 100% in sync.

same for calendars, etc.

the clouds is only lacking because of half-baked implementation. (well unless you pay $100 for apple's mobile me or whatever it's called and restrict yourself to apple only yuk).

for example MS has not yet realized the ability to sync your CONTACTS simply from Hotmail to a windows mobile device using "cloud service". Windows Live (wm app) helps remove the no-imap hotmail support (allowing imap-like use) but fails to sync contacts nevermind allow the ease to enter contacts into your "network" to be sync'd.

no ability to sync bookmarks to your phone.

or contacts (well of course you can using google contacts but...).

this is computer 101 level stuff and it's not just MS missing the boat. But that will all change hopefully soon as real phones are released with adequate RAM, faster CPUs and software designed for the "cloud".

ps - any smart phone (or blackberry) sold today pretty much requires a data plan by any major carrier. if you're on "pay as you go" using a smartphone you don't count in their stats and are a loss-leader to the carriers

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2