PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kinda new to WM, can someone explain the, programs still running after closed thing?

Hello all

Kinda new to the whole, WM OS thing.

So could someone explain to me why when you close a program does it work where it's not "really" closed and that they kept in and eating up RAM till you have to go into that thing in the upper right hand corner that shows what programs are actually kinda still running and then close them?

I mean I guess the obvious idea is that the thinking it that there might be some need to use them again soon and so by doing this it keeps them kinda running so they open faster.

Which in a way is like how a regular PC works I know but one, typically a regular PC's RAM is a great deal larger and as well, the system to use the hard drive as virtual memory is much more efficient.

Where as at least with my TP2 I’m practically using up 60% with the thing just sitting there and with one or two programs I’m up to 80 to 90%.

And the internet browsers ones are the worst.

And as well and I don’t know how these units work but by how it begins to perform at that point either that swapping to storage RAM does not exist at all or it is incredibly inefficient as at the 80 – 90% range, this thing just jambs right up.

So then I have to manually go into that thing in the upper right hand corner and close stuff.

One time I found like six or seven programs running I think!

At any rate, one I was hoping someone could explain a bit of this to me but as well…

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to limit the amount of programs running like that or % of RAM being used before it starts closing programs, if there is a way at all?

Or is are there any programs out there that that can be installed to manage this, such as a automatic one that would start shutting things down at a certain % number?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Sprint

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313
Re: Kinda new to WM, can someone explain the, programs still running after closed thi

Well, you can set it so hitting the X does close out the program, thus eliminating the need to tap the thing on the right.(Ill find the setting in a sec)

And there is a cab to help with the internet. Basically Opera is ALWAYS running. Even if you hit thing on right, its hidden. Theres a thread(I believe it just got bumped) to free up some RAM. Id definitely look into the "disable push internet" cab if thats bothering you, just be warned, Opera will take longer to start up.

As far as why the phone is set up like this...idk. Im not that technical. But Id assume you're guess is close. It leaves them running in the BG in case you want to go back to something. /shrug

Hope I helped a little bit
Old 01-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Kinda new to WM, can someone explain the, programs still running after closed thi

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
Well, you can set it so hitting the X does close out the program, thus eliminating the need to tap the thing on the right.(Ill find the setting in a sec)
Thanks for the reply subzero, yeah if you could find that, that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
And there is a cab to help with the internet. Basically Opera is ALWAYS running. Even if you hit thing on right, its hidden. Theres a thread(I believe it just got bumped) to free up some RAM. Id definitely look into the "disable push internet" cab if thats bothering you, just be warned, Opera will take longer to start up.
Yeah I think I just installed those, there were two an it free up a lot of RAM for me.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Sprint

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

start > settings > system > task manager > button tab(its on the bottom) and check off "end programs by tapping X(or theres an option to end it by holding, that way if you tap it still runs in the BG)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thumbs up Re: Kinda new to WM, can someone explain the, programs still running after closed thi

Ah nice, I had set to tap and hold, so this means now I should not get any programs running in the background if I close them with the "X" icon, which typically is in the upper right hand corner.

Thanks SZ

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2