PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 09:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

KCHruby is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question New Mobile Shell Slows Down TP2

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm working on an HTC Touch Pro 2 on the Sprint Network.

I recently upgraded my Spb Mobile Shell from 3.0 to 3.5 and have noticed that it seems to have slowed down my Touch Pro 2 considerably.

There's now a lag between the time I push the screen and the time that the phone reacts. It is Windows and there always was a slight lag but it's definitely increased with the upgraded Mobile Shell. As it stands right now, the extra little features are cool but, in my opinion, not worth it if it slows the phone down.

I'm in a trial period of MemMaid right now to see if that program can help speed my phone back up but haven't really noticed much of a difference.

Has anybody else noticed their phone slowing down? Does anybody know of a way I can get some of my speed back?

Thanks.

KCHruby
Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: VZW

Lyman1 is keeping up the good workLyman1 is keeping up the good work
Re: New Mobile Shell Slows Down TP2

Are you using the stock Sprint ROM,
or have you flashed to another?

I had the same problem when using
MS 3.0 on my VZW stock ROM, but
when I flashed to Mighty Mike's first
ROM release for the TP2, it increased
the speed. I'm now using the newest
release of MS on Mighty ROM 123009,
and have no problems what so ever.

All the Best!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g

jrob is becoming a great contributor

dude, you need to use a custom rom if your not already!!! ms 3.5.3 is super fast!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

i hope you've disabled opera and push internet... if you haven't opera is always running in the background even if the task manager says it's not. could be why ur experiencing some lag.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Threadstarter

KCHruby is a n00b

Thanks for your inputs. Here's some more info for anybody that can help.

1) I am using the stock Sprint ROM. I never really considered the option of changing ROMs. I'm sure that'd be a whole new thread for me to read on how to do that. LOL

2) As for disabling Opera, I haven't done that either. If I disable that, then do I use explorer for my browsing? Doesn't Opera have some advantages (i.e., zooming) that Explorer doesn't have--or at least I think that was the case with my original Touch Pro.

Thanks again for any assistance.

KCHruby
Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

BOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHruby View Post
Thanks for your inputs. Here's some more info for anybody that can help.

1) I am using the stock Sprint ROM. I never really considered the option of changing ROMs. I'm sure that'd be a whole new thread for me to read on how to do that. LOL

2) As for disabling Opera, I haven't done that either. If I disable that, then do I use explorer for my browsing? Doesn't Opera have some advantages (i.e., zooming) that Explorer doesn't have--or at least I think that was the case with my original Touch Pro.

Thanks again for any assistance.

KCHruby
NO you will still use opera but it won't be running in the background as it is normally. I would advise using GoodThings2Lifes cleanup cab. It adds every fix for things that slows down the TP2 it is in the stickies.

BOO B)
Old 12-31-2009, 12:22 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

How many entries do you have in your calendar?

Delete the old ones that have passed and only leave the future ones. That will speed it up.

Mobile Shell has some kind of issue where if you have too many entries in your calendar it will slow it down. Combine that with Windows Mobile having an issue where calendar entries never get deleted, and it becomes an even bigger issue.

You probably have stuff in the calendar from years ago that you didn't even know was there- it just keeps getting backed up and restored.

Use something like MyPhone and you can archive the old stuff. That way you can keep it in case you ever need it for some reason, but it's not bogging down the phone. Mobile Shell will get a whole lot faster (no lag at all), and the phone itself will get faster overall.

I would definitely suggest you get a decent ROM too. The Sprint Stock ROM sucks. I am using indagroove's titanium. No sense having Manilla take up resources if you are just going to use Mobile Shell anyway. His ROM is rock solid, and way fast- perfect for Mobile Shell.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 12-31-2009 at 12:24 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

ryanmv213 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryanmv213 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryanmv213 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryanmv213 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I still don't like the lack of customizable icons or a simple way to choose more attractive icons in mobile shell, not enough widgets, and the clock on the newer 6.5.x ROMS has not been completely emulated to work within SPB (including animation of flip or weather). Also HTC's messaging, contacts, calendar, and weather are just more efficient to me after using both. I just hate the slider in HTC and wish the home screen slid left and right as it does in MS. I have read the walkthrough on how to do the icon switch on XDA and there are some tweaks by some gifted developers over there to download that adds some features but I wish there were a way to use HTC's software with the SPB UI. Which leads me to two questions I have not figured out on my own because of all the wonderful and colorful choices we have between the forums here and XDA.

1. What is the best custom ROM to use with SPB mobile shell now?

2. Is it more effective to use Good Things' TP2's Tweaks on top of a custom ROM (currently using MightyRom 12/30 until a more stable Impact is developed)

3. Where can you get more widgets that add functionality?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

BOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmv213 View Post
I still don't like the lack of customizable icons or a simple way to choose more attractive icons in mobile shell, not enough widgets, and the clock on the newer 6.5.x ROMS has not been completely emulated to work within SPB (including animation of flip or weather). Also HTC's messaging, contacts, calendar, and weather are just more efficient to me after using both. I just hate the slider in HTC and wish the home screen slid left and right as it does in MS. I have read the walkthrough on how to do the icon switch on XDA and there are some tweaks by some gifted developers over there to download that adds some features but I wish there were a way to use HTC's software with the SPB UI. Which leads me to two questions I have not figured out on my own because of all the wonderful and colorful choices we have between the forums here and XDA.

1. What is the best custom ROM to use with SPB mobile shell now?

2. Is it more effective to use Good Things' TP2's Tweaks on top of a custom ROM (currently using MightyRom 12/30 until a more stable Impact is developed)

3. Where can you get more widgets that add functionality?
GT2L tweaks do not support custom roms just stock 6.1. And if your looking for great theme with lots of widgets check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=604146
And if you like to switch back and forth between TF3D/Sense and Mobile Shell then use this: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=18

BOO B)

Last edited by BOO B); 12-31-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

imtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

go to this link and read...u probably dont have the updated versionhttp://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101195

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2