PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Memory Class for TP2, 4 or is 2 good? Or do I need 6?

Hello all

I would like to get 16GB add-on card for my TP2.

At first I was looking at SanDisk as I just know the name but then I'm learning about this class thing and the highest one they make in 16 is a class 4 and it isn’t cheap nor easy to find.

Their class 2 one is pretty easy though but I don't know if its fast enough.

Then there are some off brands and a Kingston at NewEgg that are class 6 but do I really need that?

At any rate I really want the 16 as I would like to get a lot of music on there and possibly be able to take and keep a lot of pics and vids to.

Also I want to store a lot of map data for my GPS program, which I think I will really need the speed for as that has to refresh every time I move to the next screen.

Any advice would be very helpful

Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
Re: Memory Class for TP2, 4 or is 2 good? Or do I need 6?

class = mb/s

so class 6 = 6mb/s read/write.

honestly try for class 6 as much s possible. some cant tell the difference but I can
Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Honestly, for use in the TP2, it isn't going to make much of a difference.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

erockvr6 is keeping up the good workerockvr6 is keeping up the good workerockvr6 is keeping up the good work

the only time you'll notice a difference is when you transfer files to and from the card, you mentioned music, so putting an album on the card will take a few more mins on a class 2 card as opposed to a class 6, with just using the card to listen to music or scan pics and vids, you wont notice any difference.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2, touch diamond
Carrier: telus

pousti is a n00b

i own a 16gb sandisk class 2 and it reads and writes data at a little under 4mb a sec when in the tp2. when i put in a card reader... like magic i can read at over 10mb a sec and write at just under 6mb a sec.

so get what u think is best. atleast for me i know what to do when i need to transfer large xvid movies fast.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I currently use a 4GB Sandisk class 2 and have never had an issue being bottlenecked by the slower class 2 card. Writing to the card is slightly slower, but as far as overall phone performace is concerned, class 2 works just fine
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks Guys

I ended up ordering the RiData http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183245 one.

The funny thing is, I noticed on reading most of the reviews of quite a lot of the different cards, especially in the Class 6 units that I would say between 40 to 50% of them no matter who made them, that there were reports that the card would work for a while then die.

I wonder if this is a issue as they are class 6 or not but I figured for the price and the class number but mostly as it had quite a few favorable reviews, I'd give this one a shot.

I also wonder if a lot of that doesn't have to do with the fact the a micro card is so small and thin that if its used in something that it gets taken in and out of a lot, that it can't be good for the card.

At any rate thanks again for the advice guys.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EvO 4Geezy

malibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

FTW!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2