PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

dougw03 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do any of these programs reduce my battery life?

Hello,

I noticed when I added a few of my fav apps my battery life is not as long as it used to be. So far I've added:

SmartphoneTracker
G-Alarm
Google Maps

I realize obviously if I am using google maps with GPS it's going to kill my battery. However, do any of these other apps kill my battery and are running invisibly in the background?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Do any of these programs reduce my battery life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougw03 View Post
Hello,

I noticed when I added a few of my fav apps my battery life is not as long as it used to be. So far I've added:

SmartphoneTracker
G-Alarm
Google Maps

I realize obviously if I am using google maps with GPS it's going to kill my battery. However, do any of these other apps kill my battery and are running invisibly in the background?
1) SmartphoneTracker has been reported to drain the battery, but I can't find the thread this was discussed in at the moment

2) G-Alarm has all sorts of issues with HTC devices. Some users get lucky and have no problems at all, but power leaks, freezes, crahses, etc.. have been reported by some with this program

3) Battery killer if you leave it on, especially if it's using GPS. Even when it's not using GPS, it's downloading data packets for the map building which is essentially the same as web browsing - a battery hog

My advice: Use the programs when you need them since that's what they're for, but be sure to completely exit out of them (kill them in the task manager if necessary) to save your battery

Last edited by Eschelon; 12-29-2009 at 07:11 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

SmartPhoneTracker just intercepts text messages, UNLESS it is called upon to do its thing, in which case it starts GPS and then sends a text, email, or both. If you gave your wife the code to send, she may be following you all day, and chewing up your battery )
Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Threadstarter

dougw03 is a n00b

Thanks for the info. So is it normal to have about 50-60% RAM usage? Does the task manager show everything that is running? I'm just wondering what is taking up all the RAM and if there are programs killing my battery in the background that I don't know about.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougw03 View Post
Thanks for the info. So is it normal to have about 50-60% RAM usage? Does the task manager show everything that is running? I'm just wondering what is taking up all the RAM and if there are programs killing my battery in the background that I don't know about.
Actually, 50-60% is within the normal range. After a fresh boot, my ram usage is at 44% but as soon as I do anything (and I mean anything, even if I just open the start menu) the ram jumps up to almost 50%

As for the task manager, it will show all running programs, but not all running processes. As for me, I set up the task manager to close on 'X' instead of minimize on 'X'. To do this, click the task manager button, then click the wrench and go to the button tab and select 'End programs by tapping "X"'.

If you still have ram issues after all this, install the cab below and run the program on level 2 once in a while to dump the ram

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2