PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

imtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Who plans to go HD2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesok View Post
i plan to go HD2 but when it comes to Sprint on jan 6, although there is doubt if it will work on my sero(since it will most likely have 4g)
haha when it comes to sprint on jan 6 hahahahahahaha where did u even get this idea from

Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
GSM is NOT worse than CDMA. Maybe in your area CDMA might have better coverage o0r something, but the technology is not even close.

Some examples:
3: Cell tower location. When you open Bing or Google Maps on a GSM phone it knows your location before the app even finishes opening. There is no waiting for the GPS to lock on, or using the last saved location untiul the GPS locks on. It just uses the cell tower to locate you instantly, which it can't do on CDMA.

I am on Sprint because it is cheaper, not because I think it's the best...
Cell tower location is possible with CDMA.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

imtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

sprint i kno for a fact will not announce the HD2 with 4g....htc has other 4 g devices like the one out in russia that we could get but no...

people on these forums have really really sky high hopes for shit
Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: S

tiger83 is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (htc TP2: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Sprint has the best bank for your bucks, especially for data. 4g HD2 is possible, how about iphone 4g down the road?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
Cell tower location is possible with CDMA.
Right, if you pay the carrier and license it from them on a carrier by carrier and app by app basis.
On GSM it is a standard, and any app can do it with any carrier.

I saw a thread on the official Microsoft forums about this very issue, and the Bing developers flat out said that they can't do cell tower location on CDMA for this very reason. They said they had been working on a work around for a while.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
GSM is NOT worse than CDMA. Maybe in your area CDMA might have better coverage o0r something, but the technology is not even close.

Some examples:
1: On our Touch Pro 2's the dialer has a hold button while the GSM version has a conference button. Why? Because CDMA doesn't support it.

2: Simultaneous voice and data on GSM, not CDMA. It sure was nice when I could open Bing and find a movie and restaraunt- while talking to my wife about what she wanted to do. Or watch the game on my slingplayer and not get interupted when my wife calls. Or send an email while talking to someone and have them tell me they got it before I get off the phone.

3: Cell tower location. When you open Bing or Google Maps on a GSM phone it knows your location before the app even finishes opening. There is no waiting for the GPS to lock on, or using the last saved location untiul the GPS locks on. It just uses the cell tower to locate you instantly, which it can't do on CDMA.

4: Better phones because of the world supports the same technology.

5: Easier to change phones. Just pop out your SIM card and pop it into the new phone. No need to get an online activation or call. No need to buy a phone that is in some database and get forced onto a certain plan or whatever. No need to make sure one phone is turned off for a certain amount if time while the new phone gets activated. Just pop in the SIM card and go.

6: Speed. AT&T has the fastest 3G in the nation right now if you have coverage. Their only issue is way too many users. But if there aren't way too many users in yoru area, AT&T will have the fastest 3G right now- both upload (which isn't even close) and download. And T-Mobile is just about to launch their nationwide 21 meg HSPA+ 3G network. So they are about to go from worst to first in that catagory. They have been silently upgrading for a while, but have yet to "flip the on switch" yet. When they do, look out.

Seriously man, GSM blows CDMA out of the water. The only way anyone can say CDMA is better is if they have better CDMA coverage in their area (and I mean WAY better, because if it's close GSM will still win).
Did you read that recent gizmodo report where they tested 3G networks in multiple cities and AT&T had by far the fastest? Lok at it like this, AT&T has been claiming they had the fastest 3G for a while now. Nobody has called BS on them. Verizon, rather than call BS on them, instead went after their coverage. So even Verizon is agreeing with me- if you have good coverage, AT&T will be better.

gsm can eat it with its misfit toys lol
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger83 View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc TP2: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Sprint has the best bank for your bucks, especially for data. 4g HD2 is possible, how about iphone 4g down the road?
it all depends on when att goes to wimax...they spent so much cash already and just trying to build the fastest 3g in america and its slightly faster then verzion and sprint...

i dont think HTC can change all the internals of the phone for 4g but who knows....
Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
aGPS (cell tower LBS) still works on CDMA networks. Google Maps locates me to within 1,000 meters before the app loads based solely off cell tower triangulation, allowing the GPS trilateration to find me within 10 meters within about 10 seconds - all on Verizon

Although in keeping with your other points, I DO wish we CDMA users had simultaneous data and voice
Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschelon View Post
aGPS (cell tower LBS) still works on CDMA networks. Google Maps locates me to within 1,000 meters before the app loads based solely off cell tower triangulation, allowing the GPS trilateration to find me within 10 meters within about 10 seconds - all on Verizon

Although in keeping with your other points, I DO wish we CDMA users had simultaneous data and voice
Google Maps locates so fast because Google maintains its own database of cell towers and their locations.

AGPS has to be licensed from each carrier on an app by app basis.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:

Some examples:
1: On our Touch Pro 2's the dialer has a hold button while the GSM version has a conference button. Why? Because CDMA doesn't support it.

2: Simultaneous voice and data on GSM, not CDMA. It sure was nice when I could open Bing and find a movie and restaraunt- while talking to my wife about what she wanted to do. Or watch the game on my slingplayer and not get interupted when my wife calls. Or send an email while talking to someone and have them tell me they got it before I get off the phone.

4: Better phones because of the world supports the same technology.

5: Easier to change phones. Just pop out your SIM card and pop it into the new phone. No need to get an online activation or call. No need to buy a phone that is in some database and get forced onto a certain plan or whatever. No need to make sure one phone is turned off for a certain amount if time while the new phone gets activated. Just pop in the SIM card and go.

6: Speed. AT&T has the fastest 3G in the nation right now if you have coverage. Their only issue is way too many users. But if there aren't way too many users in yoru area, AT&T will have the fastest 3G right now- both upload (which isn't even close) and download. And T-Mobile is just about to launch their nationwide 21 meg HSPA+ 3G network. So they are about to go from worst to first in that catagory. They have been silently upgrading for a while, but have yet to "flip the on switch" yet. When they do, look out.

Seriously man, GSM blows CDMA out of the water. The only way anyone can say CDMA is better is if they have better CDMA coverage in their area (and I mean WAY better, because if it's close GSM will still win).
Did you read that recent gizmodo report where they tested 3G networks in multiple cities and AT&T had by far the fastest? Lok at it like this, AT&T has been claiming they had the fastest 3G for a while now. Nobody has called BS on them. Verizon, rather than call BS on them, instead went after their coverage. So even Verizon is agreeing with me- if you have good coverage, AT&T will be better.

My Tower lock is instant on Sprint. However GSM might be more accurate because it needs 10x more towers (that's not an exaggeration).

GSM is a joke. Yes it can do data during a call (if you can find 3G). But overall the call quality and coverage is no contest. The main reason is GSM needs so many more towers to have equal coverage of CDMA and there are just so many holes. In a well covered area they both are fine. But you'll find more holes with GSM. GSM also does not gracefully degrade like CDMA does.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2