PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 05:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

miguel11691 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
does having the my location on for my weather updates drain the battery?

i installed the latest mightyrom 6.5 rom and i have this my location for weather which is great because it finds the city where im at all the time but im worried that it will drain my battery faster than using the internet to download the updates because it uses the gps
Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: does having the my location on for my weather updates drain the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel11691 View Post
i installed the latest mightyrom 6.5 rom and i have this my location for weather which is great because it finds the city where im at all the time but im worried that it will drain my battery faster than using the internet to download the updates because it uses the gps
1. It doesn't use actual GPS but rather network tower triangulation. Download GoogleMaps 3.2.1 to see it in action (3.3.1 doesn't work as well) and battery use should be negligeable if any, and definitely not nearly as much current as polling the actual GPS chip. My Location is about 7-8 blocks from my actual loction, which leads me to believe it's not using true GPS despite the time it takes to get a fix.

2. You can disable it via in Settings or in the registry.

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
"Weather.EnableCurrentLocation"=dword:00000000
I don't think it needs a soft reset, just click "Update" in the weather tab.

Last edited by quick99si; 12-27-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: does having the my location on for my weather updates drain the battery?

I didn't think it used the gps either until yesterday when I was at a meeting and the east side of a four lane road was one city and the west side was another. The road being the city border. Well when I crossed the street the weather changed cities. Also if you untick the option in phone settings to enable the gps it messes with the weather by never updating. So from this I conclude it def uses gps to figure weather location.
Side note: on my tp2 the power usage for leaving the weather location on seems no diff than off.

Last edited by cbreze; 12-27-2009 at 11:46 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2