PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

rsmith0318 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Full back up vs. ROM flashing

If I do a full back up (spb backup) that backs up database, programs & directory, does reflashing with an updated ROM (mightymike) defeat the purpose? In other words, if the updated ROM has updates to the directory, wouldn't the full back up change them back after flashing? If so then how should I back up for a reflash so I don't have to go back in & change all my settings back the way they were?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work
Re: Full back up vs. ROM flashing

your backup program has nothing to do with restoring a base ROM... just program files, system data and PIM files...and you should not use this type of program to restore after a ROM flash because you run the risk of copying old system files that could cause conflicts on the new ROM... some programs will let you restore in ROM upgrade mode, which is a better option, but cleanest way to restore is really to use UC or Sashimi, or just do it manually...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Threadstarter

rsmith0318 is a n00b

Ok, I just realized when running the back up after flashing that it had a "ROM upgrade" selection so that is what I selected, will the updated ROM be affected? If I use Sashimi is it a noob friendly program or do I have to be well versed?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

The ROM upgrade/restore function does work, I used to use it in my old Titan's back when we where flashing sometimes 2-3 times a day back then.

I never use it any more however, I reinstall my cabs from scratch at this point(this is really the best way to do it). I found a ROM I am 100% happy with & see no reason to update further at this point.

I ran SPB Backup & did a full system BU at that point. I can now return to that point at any time so I am free to try other ROM's, new apps/tweaks etc etc etc

~John
Old 12-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EvO 4Geezy
Carrier: Sprint

malibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Sprite does support rom change back ups, tho they arent w/o errors after restores, with my exp wit it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2