PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 w/ Latest MightROM
Carrier: Verizon

KClaisse is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lots of questions about my VZW TP2

Ok I have many many questions about my TP2 that hopefully can be answered.

Firstly, What is considered the best ROM out for the TP2? By best I mean most stable, most feature filled, best looks, etc. I am looking for WM 6.5 + HTC Sense. While I want to flash the new ROM, I am worried about some of my VZW specific programs going missing. Mainly I'm worried about the Visual Voicemail app.

I used to have an Omnia before this, and it had a calculator that had a scientific mode on it. It was an amazing calc that helped endlessly in all my electrical engineering classes. Can I transfer this app from my omnia somehow, or is there a cab available?

The volume controls on the TP2 are really annoying. On my omnia, I could tap the volume icon in the taskbar and this drop down would appear with two sliders. It would not take up the whole screen, just the upper right portion. See the attached picture for an example. Is it possible to get this on the TP2?

I'm really sad that the TP2 doesnt have a full page list of programs and contacts like the Manila on my Omnia did. It was much easier to select contact/programs easily. I also like the classic WM start menu and not the complete page change that happens on this phone. Again, see the attached pics for examples.

Another problem I've found is the way this phone handles context menus. On my omnia, it was a normal context menu. On the TP2 it is an entire new screen. Is there a way to get this back to a small menu? Also I've noticed that not all pages will allow context menus, which is weird. For example, when I am connecting to my WiFi network I have to enter a WPA2 key. I have a txt file temporarily on my SD card that has the 50-character long key so I can copy and paste it. I cannot use a context menu on the page that asks for the key. Instead, I had to change the touch keyboard to the full keyboard which has all the keys a normal physical keyboard has. I then used ctrl+v to paste. It would be nice to be able to use context menus everywhere.

On the photo viewer, how do I zoom in or rotate the pictures? On my omnia I could just drag my finger around to rotate and zoom, But on the TP2 it seems my finger will only change pictures. Am I supposed to click something or use a different program? Im using the normal picture viewer you get when you click on an image from the today screen's photo tab.

Is it possible to get Flash working in Opera to the point that I can watch youtube videos on their site instead of using the youtube program? Because there are alot of websites out there that use flash that I would like to be able to visit.

I am also not sure what a radio upgrade is. I figure it is just different drivers for the radio on my phone that give it better range or speed or something. Which is the best radio for this TP2?

Is it possible to allow my PC to use this phone as an external GPS? I've heard that this is possible with certain phones and since Verizon has unlocked the GPS units in most of their new smartphones its something I've started to think about.

And finally, I'm also looking around for fun games to play on here. I was thinking that since now I have a physical keyboard the floodgates should open for many many games. The first thing I am going to look for right now is NES/Sega Genesis emulators. There are many games I would like to play from them. If anyone here has some suggestions of some fun games I would love to heard them. Are there anymore games that take advantage of the g-sensor?

I appreciate any help that you can give.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volume_example.jpg (84.0 KB, 8 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg programs_contacts.jpg (211.2 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg calculator.jpg (110.1 KB, 8 views) Click for barcode!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 AM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50286; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

wow, you weren't kidding about a lot of questions!! I was reading your post and saying, okay I can answer this one... this one... this can be done... and this... ... then I read more and more, and it's like Kelly Bundy studying for that contest - the more she learned, the more she forgot. As I read more, I forgot what you asked earlier. I'll scroll up and answer questions as best as I can.

Best Rom:

The most popular rom is the Mighty Rom. It's very stable, minimal, no extra stuff. . The flashiest/all the latest stuff is EnergyRom Leo (what I currently use). It is buggy, and although I do use it daily, I find myself yelling at my phone more and more - but I still don't want to downgrade... You'll just have to play around and see what Rom suits you. They're usually updated fairly often too.
- Withthe new roms, you can get the VZW specific stuff, but know that although you can get Visual Voicemail working, it's a cab that gets installed (not oem), and that creates some issues - 1) no voicemail notification. It sucks and it's a guessing game. 2) missed calls result in crazy encrypted data text from Verizon (this has to do with Visual Voicemail. So... fyi.

For an awesome calculator, get 1-Calc. Awesome. Has pretty much everytbing (all unit conversions, currency conversions, algebra, graphs, but I'm not sure about triginometry as I no longer need that). Otherwise, find out what calculator is on the omnia, and you can get a copy.

htc volume control is awesome! You're annoying for saying it's annoying! okay, I'm just playing, but that's just the standard windows mobile volume control. I believe there is a way to bring it back (I know there is an htcvolume.dll file, but don't mess with it on my reccomendation. Maybe someone else can confirm (unless you want to try, then it's on you. Just back up the file).

the TP2 does have an all programs page in WM6.1, but you can also get the programs tab as a cab from somewhere (I may have a copy, but can't check now). For the contacts tab the way your picture shows, that's default in Windows Mobile 6.5. Not sure if you can have that in 6.1.

context menus - do you mean hold click (right click)? copy/paste is tricky on this phone, but you can use the keyboard remapper app to make FN + C & FN + V to copy/paste.

Zooming in photos can be done with the physical zoom bar (duh) and I believe a double tap. Rotating you can't do anymore (stupid idea to remove this feature), but you can get an app called ... something, I forget, but it'll let you use the G-sensor to scroll.

Flash will work in Opera 9.5 & 9.7. NOT in 10 beta. Search for FixOperaFlash. It's a cab file (from XDA).

I'm not aware of a radio upgrade for the TP2. Anyone else know?

our GPS is unlocked, but I don't know anything about using it as an external GPS for a PC.

There are lots of fun games for the TP2, there's a thread somewhere.

I hope this helps, I did a lot of scrolling back and forth to make sure I addressed each question, but I'm sure another geeker will chime in too.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2