PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows Desktop Mobile vs GoToMyPC vs LogMeIn

I have occasional need to be able to access my home desktop, either from my Touch Pro 2, or another computer. I am currently in the 30-day trial of GoToMyPC and it works quite well in both situations. It is $9.95/month if I keep it, which while not excessive, is still an expense. Also, the File Transfer function is not a part of the PocketView version I have to use on my TP2.

The free version of LogMeIn does not support File Transfer, which is one of the functions I'd like to have, and the "Pro" version is around $70/year - cheaper than GoToMyPC, but again an expense.

Remote Desktop Mobile requires me to have Vista Business or Ultimate on my home Desktop PC, which unfortunately is Home Premium, so I'm unable to even try this out.

Is there anyone here who have used all 3, and can give a comparative evaluation of how well they work, especially on the relatively small TP2 screen? Are there any aesthetic or functionally significant differences between them?

There apparently is a way to get RDM working on Vista Premium, involving the Registry and some other steps, but I'd like to know if it's worthwhile before going down that road.

If the free LogMeIn works basically the same as GoToMyPC, for less money, then that's something to consider. Without the File Transfer function, I'd have to open up Outlook and email myself a given file, which is a bit cumbersome, but do-able.

Any experience with these apps appreciated, especially from those who have used all 3.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
Re: Windows Desktop Mobile vs GoToMyPC vs LogMeIn

Dont forget VNC

remote desktop mobile is most compatible, but logmein has a lot of features. VNC is okay.

I have not used gotomypc.

If I had a choice, probably remote desktop since its free or gotomypc
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laos101 View Post
Dont forget VNC... VNC is okay.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Which VNC? I did some searching, and there are many apps out there with "VNC" as part of their title/description.

What are the limitations of the VNC you've used, since your description if less than enthusiastic?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

curses is a n00b

Here ya go:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=83134

currently running:
SilenceROM_011
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM
b194331

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I would recommend Remote Desktop Mobile, although I must say I haven't used the other two on my TP2. I have LogMeIn, but I have never got around to doing everything necessary to get it working on the TP2, since Remote Desktop Mobile works so well.

I would say it is very worthwhile. I'm amazed at how great the quality is through Remote Desktop. Obviously everything is small so make sure you have your stylus. File transfer speeds seem to be quite slow though, from personal experience. When I do need to transfer files remotely, I prefer to use FTP, with a server on my computer and Total Commander as the FTP client on my TP2. Works quite well.

Also I've done the whole getting Remote Desktop working on Vista Home Premium thing with registry and file tweaks before. I can vouch that its quite easy and works well. Just follow the instructions you've no doubt found elsewhere and all should work fine.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b194331 View Post
I would say it is very worthwhile. I'm amazed at how great the quality is through Remote Desktop. Obviously everything is small so make sure you have your stylus.
GoToMyPC has the option to enable it to automaticaly resize the desktop display; using this makes this much easier, although a stylus is still needed. Does Remote Desktop Mobile have this option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b194331 View Post
Also I've done the whole getting Remote Desktop working on Vista Home Premium thing with registry and file tweaks before. I can vouch that its quite easy and works well. Just follow the instructions you've no doubt found elsewhere and all should work fine.
I've got 64-bit Vista Home Premium on my PC, so I need to make sure all of these tweaks are compatible with my OS.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

I use logmein for various reasons.

-It's free
-It works well
-It supports both my monitors
-It allows you to choose between various zoom modes and/or resizing the desktop

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
I use logmein for various reasons.

-It's free
-It works well
-It supports both my monitors
-It allows you to choose between various zoom modes and/or resizing the desktop
Does the lack of built-in File Transfer limit what you can do, or do you have a work-around for this?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Does the lack of built-in File Transfer limit what you can do, or do you have a work-around for this?

Thanks.
It depends on what your are trying to transfer. If I am trying to transfer small files to/from my ppc I just use email. For larger files I use sugarsync. I'm sure there are other alternatives, but those two work perfectly for everything I need. I suppose you could substitute dropbox for sugarsync.

EDIT: Also, I absolutely HATE the way that you have to attach a file to an email due to the antiquated interface and usual lag when trying to select a specific folder. I have Resco Explorer and simply select the file there and chose send to -> email. It is much easier and more convenient imho. After a quick check it appears that you can do the same thing with the built in file explorer.

Last edited by WisdomWolfX; 12-20-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35541; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

I use logmein and use ftp to transfer files to my pc. Both are free and easy to use.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2