PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Preparing for the upgrade to 6.5, best way to prepare?

So, I'm toying with the thought of upgrading my stock 6.1 to stock 6.5 when it arrives (possibly) during the first week in January for the TP2.

I have about 165 applications, mostly installed on my storage card.

What should I be doing in preparation? What's the best way to limit the amount of work I have to do when I upgrade.

Do you think I should even consider it, considering that there are a few articles out there that say the device "as-is" is probably just as good?

For example: http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=1962
Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

imtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Preparing for the upgrade to 6.5, best way to prepare?

use the search button to help...that would be a good start...this has been asked alot before so try one of those threads...alot of great people around here to help u flash but i dont kno what u would have to do with all ur programs on ur storage card...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

sugosugita is just getting started
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

I'm a complete n00b but i did notice that after i flashed from 6.1 to a custom 6.5 ROM (MR) all my apps worked the same. I just kept the installation cabs on my PC and a few minutes after i flashed i was back in business with all my old apps.

don't overthink the process. I did about three hours of reading on the forums for like 8 minutes of actual time spent flashing my phone. -shrug-
Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
use the search button to help...that would be a good start...this has been asked alot before so try one of those threads...alot of great people around here to help u flash but i dont kno what u would have to do with all ur programs on ur storage card...
I did search and didn't find anything similar. Just 80000 threads on problems that people didn't anticipate when they flashed their ROM.

I'm talking about stock upgrades and if anyone had some advice on what they have done to lighten the installing load after the upgrade.

The actual Windows 6.5 upgrade for T-Mobile is rumored to be out January 6th and I'm thinking of taking advantage.

Also, please use ENGLISH when responding.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I'm not quite sure even what info you're looking for here.

I got used to running WM 6.5 on my 4 TP's so going back to 6.1 in my TP2 was kind of a step backwards. It actually didn't bother me anywhere near as much as I expected because HTC/verizon did an incredible job with the stock ROM, but I still waited on the unlocker like a lot of other posters.

As soon as I could, I updated first to MightyROM & then went on to Juicy as I wanted manila 2.5.

I have had no problems whatever & would not go back to the stock ROM at this point, but that's just me. Now that the MMS problem has been solved in manila 2.5 I am 100% totally happy with my WM 6.5 system.

~John
Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep

What do you mean "prepare"?

If you're expecting all of your applications to still work when you upgrade, that's not going to happen. You're going to need to reinstall each and every one of them. Most of the applications you use probably wrote settings to the registry upon install, and when you upgrade, you wipe everything. Some might run from the SD card without registry settings, but you'd have to investigate each and every one to find out. You're probably also going to run into issues if the application stored both settings in the SD card, and the registry, because when you reinstall it, it could possible wipe your program's configuration. Your best bet is to start from scratch if you want 6.5 that bad
Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

I guess I messed up with the original explanation. Let me try again...

I am currently running T-Mobile stock 6.1. I have since August when the phone came out and I've never hard reset. I have about 165 cabs installed, most of them applications.

It is rumored, on January 6th, 2010, Microsoft will release the Touch Pro 2 stock 6.5 upgrade. T-Mobile has been rumored to be stuck with this date as well.

So I have a decision to make. To upgrade or not. I stick with stock ROMs and avoid custom ROMs because I'm a little burnt out on the idea that 99% of these threads are problems resulting from custom ROMs and they don't realize it. Plus, I use and need my phone and the items that are on it. I need it for work, I need it for personal usage, and just like my desktop and laptop, I don't reinstall Windows on a whim.

So, with all of the items I have installed, is the upgrade going to erase everything? Is there an easy way to reinstall all of the cabs/applications that I currently have after I upgrade? What's the best way to backup everything? Etc etc etc.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & MS 3.5

SKS06460 is keeping up the good workSKS06460 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I did search and didn't find anything similar. Just 80000 threads on problems that people didn't anticipate when they flashed their ROM.

I'm talking about stock upgrades and if anyone had some advice on what they have done to lighten the installing load after the upgrade.

The actual Windows 6.5 upgrade for T-Mobile is rumored to be out January 6th and I'm thinking of taking advantage.

Also, please use ENGLISH when responding.

I think imtjnotu was trying to be helpful, but generally the search nazi's are just a PIA.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got 6.1 customized with two registry hacks. I've taken the posts, or descriptions of these hacks and put them into a text document so I can clearly redo them if the need arises.
I've also set up Mobile Shell 3.5 up the way I want it. Like others, I have all the cabs copied on my SD card, but reinstalling them is no mean feat.
I use Sprite Backup and have backed up al the applications.
I'm thinking that if...*IF* I update to 6.5, I'll go to the backup file and restore everything except the system data. That will hopefully restore all my PIM data and programs. If not, then I'd have to reinstall everything in a very tedious fashion.
That's why, like you, I'm not certain I'm going to upgrade at all.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS06460 View Post
I think imtjnotu was trying to be helpful, but generally the search nazi's are just a PIA.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got 6.1 customized with two registry hacks. I've taken the posts, or descriptions of these hacks and put them into a text document so I can clearly redo them if the need arises.
I've also set up Mobile Shell 3.5 up the way I want it. Like others, I have all the cabs copied on my SD card, but reinstalling them is no mean feat.
I use Sprite Backup and have backed up al the applications.
I'm thinking that if...*IF* I update to 6.5, I'll go to the backup file and restore everything except the system data. That will hopefully restore all my PIM data and programs. If not, then I'd have to reinstall everything in a very tedious fashion.
That's why, like you, I'm not certain I'm going to upgrade at all.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Definitely. I guess I'm unconsciously trying to get people to convince me one way or another with this thread!

This article really stuck with me and makes it harder...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=1962
Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Maybe when upgrading when it comes around you can clean house a little and see if you really need to install 168 cabs? just my first thoughts reading this. clean fresh install is best as always. I would be curious in how long it takes you to install 168 cabs?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2