PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
International data usage?

Hey all:

So I'm traveling abroad in a week and want to use my phone overseas, using a SIM local to the country. I have a Sprint Touch Pro 2, and I want to make sure it doesn't try to access the internet while I'm using the SIM. Is there any way to completely disable internet on the TP2 by default? (Does the Sprint TP2 do this automatically when it's on GSM only mode?) I saw a post re: MoDaCo's NoData but it doesn't seem to work on WM 6.5.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:14 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: RIM 9630/HTC Touch Pro2/HTC EVO 4G/Nexus S 4G

EvanTribley is becoming a great contributor
Re: International data usage?

Open the Comm Manager and click the Data connection slider to off. If you get a chance let us know how well local prepaid SIM cards work with the phone, I work in a retail store and I never have a great answer when someone asks me about overseas prepay SIM cards.

**Any views or opinions presented in these posts are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Sprint. Sprint will not accept any liability in respect to any communication from these posts.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work

Will that disable data for as long as the phone is on? Or will the phone just try to activate data again later?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff

I'm in Italy right now using a prepaid GSM SIM to post. Paid 10 euros for the SIM with 5 euros credit on it. Refilled it for 10 euros more and paid 5 euros for 3gb of data. Works fantastic. Get about 1 Mbps down and 150kbps up on HSPDA and this is in the Alps.

The phone works really well. I have push email exchange enabled and it even disconnects when I roam on another provider. Have absolutely zero out of plan charges and have been here a week. Every data option on the phone has a disable while roaming feature.

If you want to scope out what options are available to you, check out this site: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/

I already knew which SIM, and where, I was going to purchase before I even left the states.

EDIT: The phone will not be able to connect to your CDMA data settings, so theres no real point to delete them. Even if you do CM_guardian will eventually recover them. If you absolutely have to delete your connection settings, you will need a program like dotfred task manager to disable the CM_guardian service.

Last edited by isdnmatt; 12-20-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

niteriderxp is becoming a great contributor

For anybody that is on Verizon and traveling to several countries. I would recommend they get a GlobalEmail plan, it's $65 for voice users. If you are currently paying for a $45 data plan, its a difference of $20 per month. If you are on a $30 data plan, its a difference of $35 a month.

The GlobalEmail plan is "unlimited" and works in most countries. No need for switching out SIM cards, no need for repeating "SIM" to sales people in other countries (although that normally works), and it just works right off of the plane.

Voice is still extremely expensive, so if you are only going to one country a local SIM card is probably more worthwhile. Otherwise find a cheap VOIP provider and use it over the data plan, be aware of local laws as in some countries VOIP is illegal.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Sprint data is $2.50 a day... pretty cheap.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2