PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

piratedninja is keeping up the good workpiratedninja is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to piratedninja
inaccurate weather?

is it just me or is the weather forecast/city inaccurate for anyone else?

i live in Charlotte, NC and 90% of the time it shows my city as being either "crab orchard" or "evergreen forest"

is there any way to fix this?

i have tried a ton of roms using 6.5 and 6.5.x all with manila 2.5, and have this problem on every rom with manila 2.5
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP
Re: inaccurate weather?

If the My Location setting is inaccurate, and I've had this on one of the ROMs I was using, you can always set it to Charlotte, NC manually.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: T-Mobile

JayR04 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to JayR04

FYI the my location feature uses cell phone towers to estimate your location. Its not really meant to be completely accurate. It would have to use GPS which would drain the battery pretty fast.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III
Carrier: Sprint

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR04 View Post
FYI the my location feature uses cell phone towers to estimate your location. Its not really meant to be completely accurate. It would have to use GPS which would drain the battery pretty fast.
I'm on MightyROM and I believe his uses GPS to determine location, and IIRC you need to check that you allow google to determine your location, which is done by GPS (it's why quickgps or that sort of program is used). He also mentioned earlier in one of his threads that the software he uses in his ROM's is different than others which allows a more accurate fix for location. The weather in Sense 2.1/2.5 only updates every 3 hours if on automatic, so it's not a big drain on your battery, especially if you've got quickgps on there for rapid locks.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/TP2

aaron580 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to aaron580

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmedic View Post
I'm on MightyROM and I believe his uses GPS to determine location, and IIRC you need to check that you allow google to determine your location, which is done by GPS (it's why quickgps or that sort of program is used). He also mentioned earlier in one of his threads that the software he uses in his ROM's is different than others which allows a more accurate fix for location. The weather in Sense 2.1/2.5 only updates every 3 hours if on automatic, so it's not a big drain on your battery, especially if you've got quickgps on there for rapid locks.
thats funny considering his rom is the only one that is inaccurate for me... I dont live in washington state like he says I live in indiana...

OMJ rom
Godmode kernel tearing fixed
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

one of the reasons I swapped from mighty to a manila 2.5 rom is that the weather only updating every three hours made that feature completely worthless IMHO

John
Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
one of the reasons I swapped from mighty to a manila 2.5 rom is that the weather only updating every three hours made that feature completely worthless IMHO

John
I personally don't need updates more often than every 3 hours and if for some reason I do, I'll hit update manually. I'll settle for stability of a 2.1 and have to update manually... To each their own, that's why there's a bunch of chefs!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

piratedninja is keeping up the good workpiratedninja is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to piratedninja

Quote:
where is the setting to allow google to stalk me?
i see it ask me on certain roms when i first try to access the weather tab. but i just flashed to the latest Energy rom with manila 2.5 and i dont see that setting anywhere.

updating automatically every 3 hours isnt an issue since the weather here doesnt change more than a few degrees every few hours. if it changed as much as being 80degrees one minute and 3 hours later it was going to snow then i could see needing it to update more often.
but for most people 3 hours is more than enough.

for me i just turn the automatic update off and only update it when i want to see the weather, it only takes a few seconds to connect and display the current forecast
Old 12-20-2009, 01:51 AM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Quote:
I personally don't need updates more often than every 3 hours and if for some reason I do, I'll hit update manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratedninja View Post
updating automatically every 3 hours isnt an issue since the weather here doesnt change more than a few degrees every few hours. if it changed as much as being 80degrees one minute and 3 hours later it was going to snow then i could see needing it to update more often.
but for most people 3 hours is more than enough.
Although I can see where you're both coming from, it's a little strange to look at your so-called "real-time" weather animation on the home tab and see that it's nice and sunny....only the sun went down 2 hours ago
Old 12-20-2009, 01:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

its dark out and raining for some reason it thinks my local weather is sunny . but i also use spb weather its hit or miss

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2