PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

abednego is keeping up the good workabednego is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Bad refurb - whos to blame?

Spent $200 on my TP2. Within ~2 months my screen gets a huge oil slick on it. Rediculous.

Dropped in the Sprint store last Monday to order a replacement. Just picked it up today, and half of my keyboard's blacklight isn't even working. Gotta go back to the Sprint store to order ANOTHER one (and probably wait 2 more days).

My question: does Sprint do any quality checks on the devices they receive from HTC? Or is it purely HTC's fault for not properly "fixing" the refurbed models?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff
Re: Bad refurb - whos to blame?

quality check is to see if the device turns on.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

DaBrode is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to DaBrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by abednego View Post
Spent $200 on my TP2. Within ~2 months my screen gets a huge oil slick on it. Rediculous.

Dropped in the Sprint store last Monday to order a replacement. Just picked it up today, and half of my keyboard's blacklight isn't even working. Gotta go back to the Sprint store to order ANOTHER one (and probably wait 2 more days).

My question: does Sprint do any quality checks on the devices they receive from HTC? Or is it purely HTC's fault for not properly "fixing" the refurbed models?
Ugh, don't tell me this. I'm waiting on my refurb now. My new phone, two of the hardware buttons came off completely.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

TMan11 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to TMan11
Arrow Re: Bad refurb - whos to blame?

I have heard that when old phones are shipped back to HTC they make them refurbished, they use some kind of out of the country parts to remake them. Like china for example. They are not as reliable as the very first one you got brand new right out of the box. I was trying to get a replacement touch pro since my back button did not work and every time i got one i had to ship it back due to a weird fuzzy screen. So something tells me it is true. P.S. I got them to ship me a touch pro 2 for FREE!!! Brand new too because they did not have any refurbished ones in stock.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan11 View Post
I have heard that when old phones are shipped back to HTC they make them refurbished, they use some kind of out of the country parts to remake them. Like china for example. They are not as reliable as the very first one you got brand new right out of the box. I was trying to get a replacement touch pro since my back button did not work and every time i got one i had to ship it back due to a weird fuzzy screen. So something tells me it is true. P.S. I got them to ship me a touch pro 2 for FREE!!! Brand new too because they did not have any refurbished ones in stock.
Who didnt have them in stock?

Our stores never have them in stock - but they just send refurbished units
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible & HTC Touch Pro 2

QMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to QMeli907 Send a message via Yahoo to QMeli907

Had to send n my original TP2 because of a faulty microphone. It was in EXCELLENT condition looks-wise, not scratches, nicks, anything. Got my refurb in the mail, it had scratches all over the screen and a nicked up corner. Needless to say I was not happy.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint Sero

MinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good work

I thought (I may be wrong) that refurbs come from Sprints refurb warehouses....
I didn't think that HTC touched them unless you sent it to HTC's warehouse....
Maybe one of the Sprint instore techs will chime in here....
Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: htc evo3D

Sim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Sim-X Send a message via Yahoo to Sim-X

I have had good luck with my TP2 - still on my 1st (don't know how that is possible) but the TP1 however I went through over 5 of them. Like yourself I walked out of the sprint store and it didn't work (the screen kept rotating all by itself) I went back an hour later, showed it to them and said I can't even use this until a new one comes. They ended up giving me a brand new one out of the drawer. That one ended up going bad within a few weeks, lol. One of the times the one they ordered for me was new as well but the rest were refurbs. They always tell you they can't take it out of the drawer but they can if they want to. Like I said the only time I got a drawer phone was when I brought back the junk one they gave me an hour later. I consider myself pretty lucky to walk out with a drawer phone.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan11 View Post
Refurbed units use "out of country parts from China"?
Isn't HTC located in China?

Whatever the case maybe, I wouldn't be surprised if they do something "fishy" with the refurbed... I was shocked at the poor quality of my replacement.

Got back from the Sprint store today - and they're replacing it with a brand new one thankfully.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

I think most carriers will give you a brand new unit after 2-3 bad refurbs, but you may have to request it. It would also depend on the time frame you reported them in.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2