PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GoToMyPC with Touch Pro 2?

I'm giving GoToMyPC a 30-day trial (I get Select Radio free through this trial, which I wanted anyway - very neat application!). According to them, they do not support Windows Mobile Smartphones.

I've searched here, with minimal discussion of it.

So - is anybody using this successfully with their (Verizon?) Touch Pro 2? What tweaks or modifications have to be done to get it working?

I know some people use Remote Desktop Mobile, but from what I've been able to learn, it requires Windows Vista Ultimate or Business on the Host end, and I've only get Vista Home Premium.

I remember another freebie out there (I forget the name) but the non-pay version didn't enable file transfer which I would want to have.

Any other thoughts on giving me remote access to my Desktop, to include file transfer, on my stock ROM WM Touch Pro 2 appreciated.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

anand525 is keeping up the good workanand525 is keeping up the good workanand525 is keeping up the good work
Re: GoToMyPC with Touch Pro 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I'm giving GoToMyPC a 30-day trial (I get Select Radio free through this trial, which I wanted anyway - very neat application!). According to them, they do not support Windows Mobile Smartphones.

I've searched here, with minimal discussion of it.

So - is anybody using this successfully with their (Verizon?) Touch Pro 2? What tweaks or modifications have to be done to get it working?

I know some people use Remote Desktop Mobile, but from what I've been able to learn, it requires Windows Vista Ultimate or Business on the Host end, and I've only get Vista Home Premium.

I remember another freebie out there (I forget the name) but the non-pay version didn't enable file transfer which I would want to have.

Any other thoughts on giving me remote access to my Desktop, to include file transfer, on my stock ROM WM Touch Pro 2 appreciated.
I've used GoToMyPC on my Sprint Touch Pro 2 ... i goto my XP Pro machines at work (so I don't need to worry about setup and firewalls). Its been handy but I've only used it a few times ... pretty nifty. The only thing I had to do is view the website in Mobile view to properly download the PocketPC version (PocketView) and works no problem. Download the gotomypc.exe in mobile view from the website after login, then go to file explorer and run the gotomypc.exe and it will launch gotomypc.

Here's a random article i googled up ...

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/pocke...pocket-pc.html

Last edited by anand525; 12-15-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the reply. When I initiate the process on the browser of my Touch Pro 2, it has me download a file for installation (gotomypc-start.exe or something along those lines, I forget). It's an executable, rather than a CAB, so wasn't sure whether to execute it on my TP2, from my PC while ActiveSync is going, or if this was the wrong file entirely. Do you recall what you downloaded/installed?

I'll try setting Opera in "mobile" mode and see if that makes a difference.

I was also concerned because they indicate on their site that they don't support Windows Mobile Smartphones.

The link you sent is from 2003, so I'm not sure how relevant it might be.

I did find some reference to using an "older" version of "P.I.M." required to get this working on a TP2, but I'm not yet familiar with that, or what it does.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

anand525 is keeping up the good workanand525 is keeping up the good workanand525 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Thanks for the reply. When I initiate the process on the browser of my Touch Pro 2, it has me download a file for installation (gotomypc-start.exe or something along those lines, I forget). It's an executable, rather than a CAB, so wasn't sure whether to execute it on my TP2, from my PC while ActiveSync is going, or if this was the wrong file entirely. Do you recall what you downloaded/installed?

I'll try setting Opera in "mobile" mode and see if that makes a difference.

I was also concerned because they indicate on their site that they don't support Windows Mobile Smartphones.

The link you sent is from 2003, so I'm not sure how relevant it might be.

I did find some reference to using an "older" version of "P.I.M." required to get this working on a TP2, but I'm not yet familiar with that, or what it does.
it works fine ... i d/led and used it last week ... use IE6 mobile setting ... opera mobile view didn't seem to force the server to think it was mobile when i tried i think ... IE6 forces it to think its mobile device. sign in ... download the gotomypc-start.exe ... if you get the wrong version when you try to run it ... it will fail out with error ... that means you got the PC version and not PocketPC version.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks again. So you just save the .exe file and run that from File Explorer, apparently. I'm new to Windows Mobile, and am familiar with using CAB files for installations, but I guess .exe's will work when appropriate as well.

Do you then access GoToMyPC from IE rather than Opera (or SkyFire for that matter) on a routine basis, or was this only to get the correct executable?

ETA: Just logged in with IE, Mobile Device, and it offered to download gotomypc.exe and specifically mentioned this was the PocketPC version. Saved it to my card and will try it out later when I have more time.

Last edited by DLCPhoto; 12-15-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Update:

I ran the gotomypc.exe program I downloaded, and I was able to access my Desktop just fine. I was able to save a shortcut to the Start Menu to initiate this connection directly, and I just have to enter my Access Code.

I configured it to let it resize my Desktop resolution automatically, and this provides a pretty useful view. I'm able to do run programs, and do most anything. It's a little cumbersome doing this on a 3.6" display, but it works.

The only thing that PocketView doesn't seem to have enabled is the File Transfer Utility that the 'regular' GoToMyPC program has. This is a major drawback. Copy/paste is restricted to small amounts of text, according to what their documentation.

The only way around it I can see now is to send myself an email with the file attached. Cumbersome, but it will get the job done.

Anyway, this does work, although it will cost $9.95/month if I keep it (and obviously can use it with any PC, not just my TP2).

LogMeIn free version doesn't have File Transfer, so that defeats my purposes as well.

Remote Desktop requires Vista Ultimate or Business, so being a Home Premium user, I'm left out in the cold. I've looked at several 'hacks' to enable Remote Desktop on Premium, but I'm not sure I want to go there.

Any other thoughts on this appreciated.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

chris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the community

Have you ever used Remote Desktop Mobile? I find that to work very good with Windows (both Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate). The newer version also allows you to map the phone's storage to the computer so that you can transfer files directly from your home computer to your phones memory (internal or SD Card).
Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 PM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

GoToMyPC works. So does Remote Desktop and LogMeIN works well also.

GoToMyPC says it does not support WM Smartphone (non-touch) devices.
Touch Pro 2 is not a "smartphone". It is a Pocket PC! So yes, it does work on TP2.

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1683 View Post
Have you ever used Remote Desktop Mobile? I find that to work very good with Windows (both Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate). The newer version also allows you to map the phone's storage to the computer so that you can transfer files directly from your home computer to your phones memory (internal or SD Card).
I would love to use Remote Desktop, but as indicated above, it requires either Ultimate or Business versions of Vista. I have Windows Home Premium on my Desktop, which doesn't support this, so this is not an option for me. I'd have to upgrade my OS to Ultimate, and I'm not sure this is worth the expense.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by santod View Post
GoToMyPC works. So does Remote Desktop and LogMeIN works well also..
Yes, but Remote Desktop will not work with Vista Home Premium, so that is not an option for me.

LogMeIn apparently works as well, but the free version doesn't support File Transfer. The Pro version is $70/year, although I guess that's less than GoToMyPC, which would basically be $120/year.

Guess I should look into LogMeIn, although I recall some people having problems with it, and I also recall not even being able to go to their site using Opera on my TP2 when I first got it, and was curious about it.

Anybody who has used both and can compare the performance and ease of use for both GoToMyPC and LogMeIn on a Touch Pro 2?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2