PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

BoilerUp is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone take their touch pro2 to Costa Rica?

I'm heading to Costa Rica next month and will need my phone to work to make a few quick calls. I'll need to call both the U.S. and my stepbrother, who has a brazilian phone, but will be in Costa Rica with me.

What's the best way to do this, should i get a prepaid sim card? or activate international roaming through sprint.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: Anyone take their touch pro2 to Costa Rica?

For me in Malaysia and Singapore, using their local prepaid SIM is 100x cheaper than using Sprint.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

BoilerUp is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
For me in Malaysia and Singapore, using their local prepaid SIM is 100x cheaper than using Sprint.

I've never dealt with sim cards before, how does it work? Do I need to buy one before I go, or do I get one once i get to Costa Rica?

Do I need to call sprint and have them activate anything first or do i just put the prepaid card in?

Does it change my phone number and Do I need to reenter any contacts after putting the sim card in?

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TyGeR_STD is a n00b

if you call sprint they can setup a short term roming plan. Not sure all the details but I asked about it a few days ago. Not sure if its the best option but just something you might look into.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Barnaldo is a n00b

BoilerUp, I may need to be taking a trip to Costa Rica later this year, and so would be interested to hear how things went with your TP2 on your trip. Thanks for any info you'd like to share!

Barnaldo
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

Local Sim dude is the way to go, no need to do anything but pop a SIM card and switch to GSM mode in settings. No.Africa here....enjoying some 75 degrees man...
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Skype & a WIFi connection sometimes works super.

~John
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
I've never dealt with sim cards before, how does it work? Do I need to buy one before I go, or do I get one once i get to Costa Rica?

Do I need to call sprint and have them activate anything first or do i just put the prepaid card in?

Does it change my phone number and Do I need to reenter any contacts after putting the sim card in?

Thanks.
i agree with chong67. just buy a local pre-paid sim when you get to costa rica. it's a hell of a lot cheaper if you're planning on calling locally. calling the US, check the SIM carrier's per minute rate so you have an idea how much more funds you need to load on your pre-paid SIM. or just buy a calling card from a store that sells them there (probably cheaper since you'll be calling a local access number on your pre-paid as opposed to an international number calling directly using your phone).

you do not need to call sprint. your phone will automatically know you're out of coverage area..just pop the SIM in and change your network settings to GSM and you're good to go!

unless you transferred your numbers to the current Sprint roaming SIM that's already inserted in your phone, you'll be able to view your contacts that are saved in your phone.

calling sprint to turn on roaming will cost you a pretty penny. if i remember correctly, it's a few bucks ($4 i think) per minute for roaming. save your money and buy a local pre-paid sim card. then turn around and party with the money you saved!!

have fun in Costa Rica!

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

kaix is a n00b

I just got back from Ecuador and the Sprint SIM worked fine for voice.. text and data didn't work at all. Sprint Stock Rom.

CDMA and the GSM Sprint SIM both worked in Tokyo Japan, but text/data didn't work there either.

If you do use the Sprint SIM card abroad, check the rates here:

sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/internationalroaming/Search.jsp

(add a www1. before that URL - won't let me post the URL since I don't have many posts here)

I would activate the SIM card and take it with you regardless of whether or not you plan on using it in case you do need it (emergency, can't find a prepaid SIM vendor, etc..)

Buying a prepaid card abroad in my experience ends up being an incredible value for calling the US, depending on where you go. The downside of using a prepaid card is that you will have an international phone number making it expensive for others to call you.

Also: Sprint does not charge you for calling their Int'l Customer Service while roaming internationally.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaix View Post
Buying a prepaid card abroad in my experience ends up being an incredible value for calling the US, depending on where you go. The downside of using a prepaid card is that you will have an international phone number making it expensive for others to call you.

Also: Sprint does not charge you for calling their Int'l Customer Service while roaming internationally.
but that would not do him any good as far as cost savings. i travel in and out of the US for months at a time and i always use the local pre-paid sim card. the way i see it, if i was worried about saving $ for the person calling me stateside, i'd tell him/her to buy a phone card to call my local number. if im not going to talk with them for more than 5-10 minutes, it's cheaper for the caller to buy a $5 calling card and get 30-60 minutes of talk time (depending on which country being called) on that card he/she bought at the local liquore store. compare that direct dialing to call me on my sprint roaming sim and i pay the $2.29/min rate. and if i was to call stateside. i'd also buy a local calling card to call friends/families in the US since the per-minute rate would also be cheaper compared to the roaming rates of sprint.

while i agree with you on getting the sprint roaming sim activated for emergency purposes, im sure he's also looking at cost savings when it comes to the upcoming vacation he's taking.

Last edited by Mojary; 01-28-2010 at 04:59 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2