PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache->Titan->TP2 YEAH!
Carrier: Verizon

Computerman897 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HELP!!! Bootloader reboot cycle!

I've used PPCKitchen for quite some time now, and have cooked countless custom ROMs for my first Apache, my later Titan, and most recently my week-old Rhodium_W TP2 (Verizon), so I consider myself no longer a noob, but still nowhere near some of the advanced users of the wonderful plethora of software available to customize PPCs to the level we wish them too. I find myself; however, frantically trying to figure out what has happened durning my most recent flash of my TP2, and was hoping someone could help.

About 2 days ago I flashed a custom ROM to my device, let it load, run through the first-boot customizations (Calibrate the screen, set the time zone, etc...), and finally it presented me with a message resembling something like "Your phone is being customized, it will reboot in 10 seconds." amist a windows logo background. Upon restarting, the phone sat at the BootSplash "TouchPro2" Screen until finally I believe it died, even though it was plugged in. From there, it entered a Bootloader cycle. Where it loads the bootloader, keeps it up for a few seconds, and then shuts off, the charging light kicks on, charges for a few minutes and repeats the process. I've tried flashing new ROMs onto it, but it dies again before the process can complete, and now there's a persistent message behind the HSPL standard text that says something about "Upgrade ROM Error."

Thinking that I'd somehow corrupted the HSPL in some way, I've used the .nbh file that's found in the HSPL unlocker package to reflash it, and surprisingly that's the only .nbh file that it will fully process before dieing again. The message about the "Upgrade ROM error" is still present however, and I'm really beginning to think that I've bricked my brand new phone.

Following some advice I got on PPCKitchen.org's live support from JooJooBee666, who said he's had the same problem, in order to stop the phone booting and draining what little charge the battery has running the bootloader for 15seconds or so, I've covered the two inside pins of the battery, and left it to charge for quite awhile, only now the charging light stays on for a little while, then kicks off for a few seconds, and kicks back on.

Can anyone help me? Or am i going to have to use my insurance policy a week into owning the phone?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM
The Great Winged Horse
Pocket PC: XV6700 XV6800 TP2
Carrier: Big Red

Pegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIP
Re: HELP!!! Bootloader reboot cycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerman897 View Post
I've used PPCKitchen for quite some time now, and have cooked countless custom ROMs for my first Apache, my later Titan, and most recently my week-old Rhodium_W TP2 (Verizon), so I consider myself no longer a noob, but still nowhere near some of the advanced users of the wonderful plethora of software available to customize PPCs to the level we wish them too. I find myself; however, frantically trying to figure out what has happened durning my most recent flash of my TP2, and was hoping someone could help.

About 2 days ago I flashed a custom ROM to my device, let it load, run through the first-boot customizations (Calibrate the screen, set the time zone, etc...), and finally it presented me with a message resembling something like "Your phone is being customized, it will reboot in 10 seconds." amist a windows logo background. Upon restarting, the phone sat at the BootSplash "TouchPro2" Screen until finally I believe it died, even though it was plugged in. From there, it entered a Bootloader cycle. Where it loads the bootloader, keeps it up for a few seconds, and then shuts off, the charging light kicks on, charges for a few minutes and repeats the process. I've tried flashing new ROMs onto it, but it dies again before the process can complete, and now there's a persistent message behind the HSPL standard text that says something about "Upgrade ROM Error."

Thinking that I'd somehow corrupted the HSPL in some way, I've used the .nbh file that's found in the HSPL unlocker package to reflash it, and surprisingly that's the only .nbh file that it will fully process before dieing again. The message about the "Upgrade ROM error" is still present however, and I'm really beginning to think that I've bricked my brand new phone.

Following some advice I got on PPCKitchen.org's live support from JooJooBee666, who said he's had the same problem, in order to stop the phone booting and draining what little charge the battery has running the bootloader for 15seconds or so, I've covered the two inside pins of the battery, and left it to charge for quite awhile, only now the charging light stays on for a little while, then kicks off for a few seconds, and kicks back on.

Can anyone help me? Or am i going to have to use my insurance policy a week into owning the phone?
Remove battery (10 sec) reinstall plug in wallcharger until completely charged DO NOT TURN ON. Put in bootlader mode from power off, Reflash with known good rom, Should be good.

Good Luck
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Sounds like the XDA_UC program. It auto-installs all of your cabs for you if you click the customize icon in some roms. You have to set it up first though. Sound like you triggered it somehow. Try a hard reset.
On Verizon: Vol dwn + snd + end + Reset(under battery cover). It will then prompt you to press the vol up button to clear memory and then snd to commit.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 PM
The Great Winged Horse

Pegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIPPegasus"143" is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandyck7 View Post
Sounds like the XDA_UC program. It auto-installs all of your cabs for you if you click the customize icon in some roms. You have to set it up first though. Sound like you triggered it somehow. Try a hard reset.
On Verizon: Vol dwn + snd + end + Reset(under battery cover). It will then prompt you to press the vol up button to clear memory and then snd to commit.
Verizon Hard reset does not include pushing reset button.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus"143" View Post
Verizon Hard reset does not include pushing reset button.
On my phone it DOES
Old 12-09-2009, 06:30 PM
The Great Winged Horse

Quote:
On my phone it DOES
From Verizon Manual

13.7 Resetting Your Device
Performing a soft reset
Perform a soft (normal) reset to clear all active program memory and shut down all active programs. This is
useful when your device is running slower than normal, or a program is not performing properly. If a soft reset
is performed when programs are running, unsaved work is lost.
To perform a soft reset
Pull out the stylus.
Remove the back cover. For instructions, see “To remove the back cover” in Chapter 1.
Use the stylus tip to press the RESET button located at the upper-left side of the open back panel.
RESET
Your device restarts and displays the Home screen.
Replace the back cover and insert the stylus back into its compartment.
Performing a hard reset
If a normal reset does not solve a system problem, you can perform a hard (full) reset. After a hard reset, the
device is restored to its default settings—the way it was when you first purchased it and turned it on. You
will lose any programs you installed, data you entered, and settings you customized on your device, and only
Windows Mobile® software and other pre-installed programs will remain.
Warning! Your device will be set back to factory default settings. Make sure that any additional installed programs
and/or user data have been backed up before you perform a hard reset.
Important If Encrypt files when placed on a storage card is enabled, backup all files from the storage card before
using Clear Storage, hard reset, or updating the operating system. Otherwise you will no longer be able to
access the encrypted files on the storage card. Use ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center to transfer
files between your storage card and computer. After the procedure, copy your files back to the storage card.

146 Managing Your Device
To perform a hard reset
With the device turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN, TALK/SEND, and END/POWER buttons
until you see this message on the screen.
Wainpy inugs eru sienrs tdaaltlae/ds ettings & applications...
1. Pmarensufs aVcotluUrPe r tdo efraesultot.re
2. Pcruesstos m VcoloDnfoiwgn urtao tireons.tore
3. Pcarencses l.other keys to
Release the VOLUME DOWN, TALK/SEND, and END/POWER buttons.
Press the VOLUME UP button to restore the operating system to the factory default configuration,
press the VOLUME DOWN button to restore the factory default configuration and remove any operator
customization, or press any other button to cancel the reset.

Win
Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Hitting Vol dwn + snd + end either shuts my phone off, calls someone, or turns the volume down. LOL. Hitting all 4 works for me everytime, wheras that way never does. What are you trying to prove with the instruction manual??? You want me to post a video?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

"Wainpy inugs eru sienrs tdaaltlae/ds ettings & applications...
1. Pmarensufs aVcotluUrPe r tdo efraesultot.re
2. Pcruesstos m VcoloDnfoiwgn urtao tireons.tore
3. Pcarencses l."

WTF???

Last edited by tvandyck7; 12-09-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM
The Great Winged Horse

Quote:
Hitting Vol dwn + snd + end either shuts my phone off, calls someone, or turns the volume down. LOL. Hitting all 4 works for me everytime, wheras that way never does. What are you trying to prove with the instruction manual??? You want me to post a video?
TURN PHONE OFF>PUSH SEND+END+VOL DOWN. Then follow on screen instructions.

As for the other I copy right out of manual so its another language, h3ll idk.

If you saw that then you should have seen the rest of it.

Done! Goodbye

To the OP I hope it all works out for you.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache->Titan->TP2 YEAH!
Threadstarter

Computerman897 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus"143" View Post
Remove battery (10 sec) reinstall plug in wallcharger until completely charged DO NOT TURN ON. Put in bootlader mode from power off, Reflash with known good rom, Should be good.

Good Luck
If I plug it in without the cover over the inside 2 battery pins it enters the Bootloader On-> Drains Battery-> Shuts off, Charges-> Bootloader on again cylce on its own, whether I try and turn it on or not.

I've had it on the charger with the cover on for a good 8 hours and it sitll won't reach a full charge...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
battery drainage, bootloader, hspl, reboot cycle, tp2