PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

eore227 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google Voice setup

Hey guys so I got a google voice invite and had some questions for it. Now do you guys use your same number or use a new number. Are there disadvantages and advantages to one or the other????
Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce
Carrier: Sprint

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff
Re: Google Voice setup

Use the GV number when you dont want people to have your real number. I use it for contacting people on craigslist or a few loons on sprintusers.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7excursion View Post
Use the GV number when you dont want people to have your real number. I use it for contacting people on craigslist or a few loons on sprintusers.
haha ok so the gv is good for loons
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Rockin' the Red!!
Pocket PC: 1.31.11Neo -- FRX06
Carrier: Sero

Recursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eore227 View Post
Hey guys so I got a google voice invite and had some questions for it. Now do you guys use your same number or use a new number. Are there disadvantages and advantages to one or the other????
Here are some thoughts:

1. It might be wise to give your google voice number out to particular categories of people. This way, if you set your GV Account to "replace" the caller ID data of calls forwarded to your mobile phone, you'll have an idea of what type of call is coming in.

So, you might give your GV# out only to select friends who you talk to a lot. Or, you might give your GV# out only to potential business folks.

2. In case you don't know (some might not know this), you can add your GV# to your calling circle. So, you would set your GV Account to replace the caller ID data for calls forwarded to your mobile. This way, you will get unlimited minutes for people calling you.

3. At one point (maybe still), your GV Account is set up by default to require callers to "speak" their name before the call is connected. If you want a more seamless experience for callers, you can turn this off.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700, Mogul, Touch Pro, Touch pro 2, EVO 4G, EVO3D

madcowmilau is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7excursion View Post

I also use it for craigslist, isnt it great

http://madcowmilau.blogspot.com/
http://www.google.com/profiles/madcowmilau
Old 12-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

I switched to it as my primary number over six months ago and haven't looked back. I love the added convenience of GV and just keep watching and using as it gets better and better. The one major thing that may hold others back from doing this is the lack of MMS. I've been using a PPC on Sprint for years (for a long time there was no official MMS) so I'm not missing anything there.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

so when you make your choice is it permanent??? Like can you choose to use your number then later on decide a google number?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Almost a VIP

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep

When you setup GV you'll pick a number. You'll have to give people number to get the most benefits from GV (Call screening, integrated texting from web interface with complete history online, etc).

However you can still get benefits from their voicemail service without changing your number. You can set your current phone to forward to GV VM instead of your carriers VM. This will allow you to get email or SMS copies of your VM in a transcribed form. This is really useful for reading your messages without having to listen to them (although the transcription is not always perfect you can usually get a good idea of what the message is about and whether it's worth listening to or not).
Old 12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro2/ blackberry bold
Carrier: sprint & at & t

idenkilla is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to idenkilla

i switched over about 2-3 months ago. the only real thing i dislolike is the fact that there is no official google voice app. i use gvo but you cant dial recent numbers straight from your call log. but i love google voice. i used the google voice number
Old 12-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by idenkilla View Post
i switched over about 2-3 months ago. the only real thing i dislolike is the fact that there is no official google voice app. i use gvo but you cant dial recent numbers straight from your call log. but i love google voice. i used the google voice number
This is a good point. I keep meaning to purchase GVdialer, but just never got around to it. (I've been reflashing my phone too much).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2