PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc touch pro 2 vzw
Carrier: Verizon

buggs1a is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please help with rom choice

I need some advice and help in deciding what rom to get for my tp2 verizon. i am using stock now and it's unlocked. Things for me are hard to understand with a small learning disability and also there's just so many roms to choose from.

I surf www, text a little, but not much and check weather on it. I'd like to do other stuff too, like stream music and video and photo from local pc to my tp2 and stream music from home to my tp2 when out and about and maybe download video and watch with something that has codecs for everything that's free. I have used MS Bing for gps just to see what it was like and it's kinda neat. I don't play games.

I would like to try only stable, fast/smooth UI please. I'd rather not have to install anything extra to make it work, but if that is necessary then ok cool. I think the HTC Hero Sense UI is kinda neat. I've seen a few pics of other roms with Sense UI, but it doesn't look anything like the Hero Sense UI so I don't know how it can be called Sense UI. I've heard of something called Manilla 2.1 and 2.5. I don't know what that is. TouchFlo 3D I've heard was renamed to Sense UI, but I've not seen this from HTC themselves and it doesn't look anything like the UI on the Hero. I would like Windows Mobile 6.5.1 or later if possible, but 6.5 if that's the only one or bug free then ok too. If the rom comes with some extra apps that's cool.

I don't do mms and won't be using the camera much. Maybe once in a while. I'd also like to be able to put back on my tp2 the original stock rom with it being locked if I need to return it to Verizon for warranty or anything. I think I've got relocker locally here, but forget where I put it and I don't know if I have a stock verizon rom.

I really appreciate it guys. Me doing this is also maybe going to help me keep this phone over the Samsung Omnia 2 which I got on Tuesday Dec 2. I'm still deciding. There's just some stuff I don't like about the O2 and I like my TP2 in some ways. Also I don't know if O2 roms will happen. Plus I'm always wanting to donate for a great find.

Anyway thanks a lot guys and I really really truly appreciate you all.
Joe
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Fuze, Touch Pro 2 Sprint
Carrier: Telstra

davoidd is a n00b
Re: Please help with rom choice

I just tried the new Might ROM and seems very fast. Has a few things cut out that you can add later if needed. So could try that. You can always try one and if you don't like it just put another one on. One thing I didn't know though after flashing the ROM run clear storage to clean up the rom and it's better than doing a hard reset.
Also if you were to stuff the rom e.g. installing the wrong rom as I did at first. you can get to the boot loader by holding volume down and pressing the on button even if the device won't start up, just worth knowing anyway.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
There's just some stuff I don't like about the O2
I'm curious what you don't like about it??

~John
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

JimP is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Buggs,

I'm also interested in trying out a custom rom.

What I do is find the thread specific to a particular rom and read the last 5 pages of it. That'll tell you if its still a work in process with unresolved issues or not.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: VZW

Lyman1 is keeping up the good workLyman1 is keeping up the good work

Mighty ROM for sure!

I'm on VZW and have been running Mighty ROM's
going back to me Titan, TP1 and now my TP2, and
have had "no" problems at all.

Mighty Mike Rules!

All the Best
Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

Juicy ROMs are also relatively clean and fast...Mike is a little more basic, both both are fast and good on battery life...I'm on Juicy R3 personally right now and will probably stick with it for a while...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

buggs1a is a n00b

Thanks for the response guys. I took my omnia 2 back today and since I paid cash for o2 with silicone cover $580 something they didn't have cash. So I brought the o2 back home till they get cash. I had them put my tp2 back on my line.

I liked the o2 in some ways. But for $520 I was not impressed. There is lag with the ui. Wifi lost connection all the time. It won't keep wifi enable all the time. There's no setting for it. When you turn on the o2 you have to manually turn on wifi everytime. With connected home it plays video jerky and not Totally smooth. There's not really any rewind or fast forward in the player. It looses wifi evrytime I tried connected home. The screen is not better then my tp2 except brightness. Een the droid looks better except brightness. It's a nice screen though but not amazing to me. Www royally sucks. No good safari like browser for winmo that I know of the phone froze all the time and then would unfreeze. No remote desktop. Widget store sucks. Extremely few widgets. Ms marketplace sucks. Not many free stuff and prices are rip off for everything in there what little there is. Swype is coooool. O2 has horrable battery life. After I charged it for 4 hrs after j bought it, it lasts a few hrs of minimal use. Mostly sleeping.

Soi will wait for a better phone whatever and whenever this is.

So was hoping to find a cool rom and one that works fully and doesn't need me to install anything for fixes or to make something work. Everything I've seen either needs stuff to fix things or doesn't look totally cool. But then I'm not sure of the look since obviously j haven't installed anything.

I would like a stock winmo 6.5 and only winmo 6.5. Then I would like winmo 6.5 with Htcs ui of touchflo 3d and the hero sense ui would be neat to try. I'm not sure about what version of touchflo 3d or whatever else there might be.

It'd be nice in the rom if push Internet was totally disabled. Leave the SMS sent notify on. I like it to k ow my text is sent good and it automatically disappears too I'd like the neat home screen/clock weather stuff I've seen and the newer touchflo 3d that is on the imagio looks nicer with a tiny bit more color to the icons. It'd be nice in te rom to have the touchflo but with option for turning it entirely off and going only winmo 6.5 or 6.5.1 or whatever. Just so I could test it and see what it's like.

I've seen some roms with some extra apps which would be cool I think. But no idea really. Be nice to have as much as possible disabled so I have more memory even though I only run one or two apps at once.

So I guess this all is an idea of what I am interested in with my almost non existant knowledge.

Thanks so much for info and helping guys.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

for verizon mighty works better than other roms. the mms works better, visual voicmail notifications work and it has a 3g icon not ev

Old 12-09-2009, 04:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

JimP is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

buggs,

Funny that you mentioned that the Verizon store didn't have enough cash to refund you the money paid for your TP2.

I had the exact same experience when I returned an iphone to AT&T (no signal at my home). I had to make an extra trip late on a Saturday so that they will have taken in enough cash (or so they say) to make my refund. I was thinking that this was either very micky mouse of them or just a strategy to get people to rethink their returns. Hard to believe that they wouldn't have any money in their registers if for nothing else to make change.

As for custom ROMs, I'm going to see what Verizon does about updating to 6.5 by the end of the month. If that doesn't come through, then I'll probably try either Jucy's or MightyMike's depending on the number of outstanding issues at the time.

Last edited by JimP; 12-09-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

buggs1a is a n00b

I returned the omnia 2 not tp2. But I'm sure it was just a typo.
Doesn't mighty rom hav lots of issues and make you install stuff ?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2