PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc touch pro 2 vzw
Carrier: Verizon

buggs1a is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
need help deciding which rom to use for my vzw cdma tp2

I need some advice and help in deciding what rom to get for my tp2 verizon. i am using stock now and it's unlocked. Things for me are hard to understand with a small learning disability and also there's just so many roms to choose from.

I surf www, text a little, but not much and check weather on it. I'd like to do other stuff too, like stream music and video and photo from local pc to my tp2 and stream music from home to my tp2 when out and about and maybe download video and watch with something that has codecs for everything that's free. I have used MS Bing for gps just to see what it was like and it's kinda neat. I don't play games.

I would like to try only stable, fast/smooth UI please. I'd rather not have to install anything extra to make it work, but if that is necessary then ok cool. I think the HTC Hero Sense UI is kinda neat. I've seen a few pics of other roms with Sense UI, but it doesn't look anything like the Hero Sense UI so I don't know how it can be called Sense UI. I've heard of something called Manilla 2.1 and 2.5. I don't know what that is. TouchFlo 3D I've heard was renamed to Sense UI, but I've not seen this from HTC themselves and it doesn't look anything like the UI on the Hero. I would like Windows Mobile 6.5.1 or later if possible, but 6.5 if that's the only one or bug free then ok too. If the rom comes with some extra apps that's cool.

I don't do mms and won't be using the camera much. Maybe once in a while. I'd also like to be able to put back on my tp2 the original stock rom with it being locked if I need to return it to Verizon for warranty or anything. I think I've got relocker locally here, but forget where I put it and I don't know if I have a stock verizon rom.

I really appreciate it guys. Me doing this is also maybe going to help me keep this phone over the Samsung Omnia 2 which I got on Tuesday Dec 2. I'm still deciding. There's just some stuff I don't like about the O2 and I like my TP2 in some ways. Also I don't know if O2 roms will happen. Plus I'm always wanting to donate for a great find.

Anyway thanks a lot guys and I really really truly appreciate you all.
Joe
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: need help deciding which rom to use for my vzw cdma tp2

you need to post in tp2 forum, not upgrades forum.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78089

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 12-07-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

bullhead00 is keeping up the good workbullhead00 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to bullhead00

Hey man. I'm on VZW and have been using the Mr. X ROM for about 3 weeks straight now. I believe if I could sum it up in three words I would say stability, stability, and stability. He has even cooked in a provisioning CAB under Start>Connections>Mr. X Provisioning for Verizon. You just run the provisioning program, it does an auto install of the VZW specific CABS, and you're up and running on VZW!

Again, VERY stable ROM. I never even have to soft reset. I've tried several different ones but I only end up using them for a couple hours and then it's back to the Mr. X! Here's the link to the thread for it.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91898

Edit: Oh, and it's really fast too.

06 GTO Quicksilver/Red leather/M6, 1 of 104

Last edited by bullhead00; 12-07-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

almost every rom has provish. cab cooked in but juggalos rom is sweet.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

lbjohnny is just getting started
Cool Re: need help deciding which rom to use for my vzw cdma tp2

For Manila 2.5 LEO I tried NRG & Juicy. Also Mighty Mike 2.1 is da bomb - really stable, if you want 2.1 you can't go wrong with Mike. But I like LEO 2.5. Also keep an eye on Scrolser as he's just coming out with 2.5 version (Sprint now -Verizon soon) - man knows his stuff so it should prove interesting but new ROMS are always shaky at first.

For 2.5 Juicy ROM #3 is by far the best version so far. Pretty stable & plenty of RAM but had issues with version 4 & 5 (little stuff like ringtone issues & youtube - stability was good though). Youtube doesn't work right BUT with Version 3 you can use Opera to go to youtube & the click video link & it will open up youtube video- seems to work really well. He also includes a very easy way to use UC (where you can load your cabs & have them auto-install). Really great when you're a flash-a-holic.

NRG's ROM are fast but lack RAM. If your not using RAM instensive apps (esp GPS third party software) you may like his latest Dec 4th ROMS. They're a little more "artisitic" not straight out of the box looking. I just can't figure out why he gets about 25 or so meg less ram on boot up? Maybe that's where he gets his speed.....If it wasn't for that I'd probably have stuck with his ROM.

Honestly you really can't go wrong trying any of them if you got the time. The only thing is you don't really know what issues are going to come up until you have fully customized/added apps/sync'd your device etc...That's when you see a little issue that's a dealbreaker....

I actually think in a month or so these geniuses will have perfected 2.5 so I'd check in daily.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2