PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

fuzzybabybunny is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Video conversion tools and settings?

so now that I've finally got a phone with a screen big enough and high res enough to watch movies on, I'd like to start using it for such. The problem is getting the right video format that'll play smoothly on this thing. I've had lots of wmv files play really stuttery on this in both CorePlayer and WMP.

What programs do you guys use to convert your downloaded file formats (avi, wmv, h264, etc) into usable ones on the TP2? And what output settings should it have? I'd like to keep it at 640 resolution for this beautiful screen.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

chris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the communitychris1683 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Video conversion tools and settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
so now that I've finally got a phone with a screen big enough and high res enough to watch movies on, I'd like to start using it for such. The problem is getting the right video format that'll play smoothly on this thing. I've had lots of wmv files play really stuttery on this in both CorePlayer and WMP.

What programs do you guys use to convert your downloaded file formats (avi, wmv, h264, etc) into usable ones on the TP2? And what output settings should it have? I'd like to keep it at 640 resolution for this beautiful screen.
I use Aimersoft Suite for all ripping/converting. Best program in my opinion and has NO audio/video sync issues.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

fuzzybabybunny is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1683 View Post
I use Aimersoft Suite for all ripping/converting. Best program in my opinion and has NO audio/video sync issues.
I tried Aimersoft and it has a ridiculous flaw - it doesn't have any option to keep the original aspect ratio of the video. I've only got set options like 640x480, 720x480, 1280x720, etc. But say my video is 850x480. There will be parts of the video cropped out.

There's no option to keep the original resolution of the aspect ratio.

Any other options?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 AM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

Quote:

Try running your files using coreplayer with Manila (aka touchflo3d) turned off. All my files played flawlessly after I did this.

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

Try this to convert your videos.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/
If you want a guaranteed playable video, in whatever media player, use standard mp4 640x480 under 25fps

Also found this info somewhere when I had my Touch Pro, same applies to our TP2.

Since there have been massive problems playing back video on the newer HTC devices, I thought I'd step in...
Below is a GUI, to ease the pain of getting nicely watchable videos on the Touch HD, Xperia, Diamond and Touch Pro.
Any device with MSM720x chipset should work, just make sure to select the correct video resolution.
I would like to give a lot of thanks to tnyynt for helping me test and find the best parameters.

Current version: 1.21

Instructions:
1. Download http://gm.mainframe.no/stuff/Encoder.rar
2. Unpack the RAR to a directory of your choosing (on your computer).
3. Run Encoder.exe
4. Select the videos you would like to encode and the output folder, hit "Start!". If you like you can tweak the options, but the pre-set options will produce good video for the four devices mentioned above.
5. Once finished encoding, transfer the encoded video to your device and use Album (or WMP) to view them.

Do not use Coreplayer and complain about performance! Coreplayer can not utilize hardware acceleration yet and is slow!

If your source videos are SD (DVD, PAL etc), use the default 600 kbit/s or 500kbit/s.
If your source videos are HD (1080p/720p), use 750kbit/s.

Remember, there is absolutely no point to use higher bitrate, because the quality won't really increase and you will use more battery life with higher bitrate! Also, if you are using less than WVGA resolution, you can apply less bitrate. The approximate formula is (YourWidth*YourHeight)/(800*480)*bitrate. So as example for QVGA you would use 4x less bitrate.

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

Last edited by santod; 12-07-2009 at 01:14 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: lovemarser
Carrier: lovemarser

lovemarser is a n00b
Red face Re: Video conversion tools and settings?

Quote:
I tried Aimersoft and it has a ridiculous flaw - it doesn't have any option to keep the original aspect ratio of the video. I've only got set options like 640x480, 720x480, 1280x720, etc. But say my video is 850x480. There will be parts of the video cropped out.

There's no option to keep the original resolution of the aspect ratio.

Any other options?
Aimersoft support set options, select the video you want convert on the software, then click "edit" button to crop your video.

It also support the setting with "setting" - "Video Resolution"

It just not support convert video from 640x480 to 850x480 but support convert video from 850x480 to 640x480

Last edited by lovemarser; 12-07-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

eksasol is becoming a great contributor

I convert to XviD, since it require less processing power to both convert and playback compared to h.264. Infact, h.264 plays too slowly on the touchpro2.

For me, when the sum total of the XviD bitrates begin to exceed 800kbps is when stuttering kicks in. You can try the setting: XviD 640x360 (16:9), 700kbs video and 112kbs audio.

You can use WinFF to batch convert videos. I wrote a bit introduction on WinFF for those interested: fssi.x10hosting.com/winff.htm (It is a free software, I'm not affliliated.) Only problem with this software is if you want it to convert to specific bitrates, sometimes you have to go to "Edit -> Presets" and modify the command line settings for each preset. Therefor users who aren't used familiar with command line ffmpeg settings might not find it as useful.

In which case, AutoMen is another video converter worth taking a look at.

Last edited by eksasol; 12-07-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

devicemanager is becoming a great contributor

I have a bunch of video converters and they all seem to work pretty well - but if you want to put media on the phone, I would use the htc converter - puts the video im .mp4 format and it runs like a champ on the default media player.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

abednego is keeping up the good workabednego is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by santod View Post
Try this to convert your videos.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/
If you want a guaranteed playable video, in whatever media player, use standard mp4 640x480 under 25fps

Also found this info somewhere when I had my Touch Pro, same applies to our TP2.

Since there have been massive problems playing back video on the newer HTC devices, I thought I'd step in...
Below is a GUI, to ease the pain of getting nicely watchable videos on the Touch HD, Xperia, Diamond and Touch Pro.
Any device with MSM720x chipset should work, just make sure to select the correct video resolution.
I would like to give a lot of thanks to tnyynt for helping me test and find the best parameters.

Current version: 1.21

Instructions:
1. Download http://gm.mainframe.no/stuff/Encoder.rar
2. Unpack the RAR to a directory of your choosing (on your computer).
3. Run Encoder.exe
4. Select the videos you would like to encode and the output folder, hit "Start!". If you like you can tweak the options, but the pre-set options will produce good video for the four devices mentioned above.
5. Once finished encoding, transfer the encoded video to your device and use Album (or WMP) to view them.

Do not use Coreplayer and complain about performance! Coreplayer can not utilize hardware acceleration yet and is slow!

If your source videos are SD (DVD, PAL etc), use the default 600 kbit/s or 500kbit/s.
If your source videos are HD (1080p/720p), use 750kbit/s.

Remember, there is absolutely no point to use higher bitrate, because the quality won't really increase and you will use more battery life with higher bitrate! Also, if you are using less than WVGA resolution, you can apply less bitrate. The approximate formula is (YourWidth*YourHeight)/(800*480)*bitrate. So as example for QVGA you would use 4x less bitrate.

I'm trying to use the above application - but 20 - 30 min episodes are still being converted down to ~100MB. I want smaller files. I've seen really good rips of a 30 min ep with res 640x480 with a ~50MB size.

My source is an MKV file. Any help?

*EDIT*

Also, is there anyway of making the application split up each section of MKV into individual files?

Last edited by abednego; 02-11-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abednego View Post
I'm trying to use the above application - but 20 - 30 min episodes are still being converted down to ~100MB. I want smaller files. I've seen really good rips of a 30 min ep with res 640x480 with a ~50MB size.
That doesn't sound right at all. I've never seen a VGA-size (that's broadcast video size, mind you) episode ~50MB. I mean, sure, you could turn the bitrate all the way down and skip frames, but it would look terrible.

I'm guessing it was actually QVGA, but you had it zoomed to fill the screen and didn't realize.

And for the record, H.264 *IS* the best way to go on these qualcomm based phones because of QTV acceleration. But don't bother trying to use it with Coreplayer, only WMP and HTC Album/Video player support the hardware accelearation (QTV needs to be licensed, and Core didn't buy it).

more on that:
http://mobile-enthusiast.blogspot.co...rformance.html
(juicy bits towards the end, should answer most if not all questions)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2