PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 AM
N00b

nsinsinsi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Three way calling, call switching, etc. - (cont thread)

A previous thread started by another user was closed when it turned to childish bickering, but I'd like to start it again because I think it's worth discussing.

I think everyone has the same issue here, it's just that some people may never notice how poorly designed and primitive the "phone" part of the phone is.

Here is the big problem: there is a ridiculous lack of onscreen feedback about lots of calling features. I am completely used to the usual Microsoft design style of "one brilliant step forward and four unbelievably idiotic steps backwards", but this goes beyond all reasoning.

Essentially, it is possible to do three way calling, either initiated by you or by an external call, but there is zero onscreen feeback and zero features that one would expect from a so called "smartphone".

The use of three way calling on this phone is completely counterintuitive - you're supposed to press the "call" key for pretty much everything with no feedback whatsoever - and you never know what mode you're in. You always have to sound like an idiot asking everyone on the call if they can hear you.

There is no way that I know of of hanging just one call and not both at the same time.

When accepting calls while on another call through call waiting, there is zero feedback on the screen that you switched phone calls - it will still show the call info for the last call.

Furthermore, there is no discernible way to switch between two calls more than once without turning them into a three way call (!!!!).

While all these disturbing shortcomings are there, there's tons and tons of free screen real estate not being used at all.

It's 2007, I was really expecting the phone call UI on Windows Mobile to have evolved at least a little bit in 5 years.

There should be:

1- On-screen feedback to indicate who you're talking to at any given time when swapping calls, incoming or outgoing.
2- On-screen button to swap active calls
3- On-screen button or menu option to initiate three way calling between two existing calls, with corresponding on-screen feedback
4- On-screen buttons to hang up each call separately

Not to mention onscreen buttons to mute and enable/disable headset.

Now, here's my question: is there anyone producing a replacement Phone app for these devices? Is anyone on xda-devs or something similar developing something like this? Are there plugins that will make the Phone app not suck?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

telugite is just getting started
i was looking for exactly the same
Old 07-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH

ScandaLex is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread for further developments. I'm also interested in the same things you've mentioned above.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

bubbatex is a n00b
I agree totally - the Treo has a very nice interface for this and it is one of the Treo features I miss in WM. I 3-way on my Q quite a bit and it is a pain for all the reasons you outlined. It is hard to believe that someone has not developed an app for this.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: TMO

timothydonohue is just getting started
bumped for frustration. i am not getting any notification of who is on the second line if i receive a call while in call, nor am i notified with anything that would say 'flash to other call' option. my 4 year old retarded phone would do that, why can't my mogul?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

leetsauce is just getting started
I've never gotten a 3 way to work. How do you work it?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: TMO

timothydonohue is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetsauce View Post
I've never gotten a 3 way to work. How do you work it?
well, first you and your girlfriend have to be really comfortable with each other, and open to discussion. sometime, after a few drinks, bring it up jokingly, and judge her reaction. if she seems like she may be interested, you can pursue it in baby steps. if not, drop it immediately and never bring it up again. but, in the case that she is interested, then you can eventually talk about it. make her comfortable, suggest that she gets to pick the lucky girl out, and from there it is just a little work, and you're on the road to a great time.

seriously though, it's in the manual. while in call, press talk to put the caller on hold, dial the new number, when that person answers, press the talk key. this is what the manual says to do, but i haven't ever done it. maybe i should experiment...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan