PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

phunzoid is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alternative DNS Settings No Longer Working, Why?

I've been using the alternative DNS settings "trick" for a couple of months now with no problem….i had created an additional cellular connection named "Sprint 2" with the new DNS settings...today though i-net wasn't working….the Mogul would dial #777, PIE would show connecting, then locating, but it would never load a web page

so I switched back to Sprint's original DNS seetings, under a connection still named "Sprint PCS", and i-net worked fine again

I looked at the settings for my "Sprint 2" connection, and noticed it had a password saved…I deleted the password, tried connecting again, but still no go….i checked setttings again, and a password was there again

my working "Sprint PCS" connection has no password saved

why would a password be saved in my "Sprint 2" connection?....could this be causing my problem?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
there is no password... its encrypting the field so you cant tell how long a specific password is...

Test these dns with your second connection..

and when your in the screen to select the connections, hold click on your new connection and tell it to be "default" and soft reset and try again...
Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wILLk0r3 818 Send a message via Yahoo to wILLk0r3 818
I still can't get my DNS settings to stick.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

phunzoid is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by divxrippimp View Post
there is no password... its encrypting the field so you cant tell how long a specific password is...

Test these dns with your second connection..

and when your in the screen to select the connections, hold click on your new connection and tell it to be "default" and soft reset and try again...
thanks divxrippimp...i had actually tried those DNS setting also before i started this thread...but i went ahead and tried them again anyway

this time, success!!!

i then went back and tried the OpenDns settings again....and they worked too!!

so don't know if it was a problem on Sprint's side or what, but the alternative DNS settings are working for me again
Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Almost a VIP

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
How do you guys get the new settings to stick? Do I have to make a new connection with the same settings, just a DNS addresses? I remember seeing on this site that you're supposed to go into Windows/Startup and delete HTC_Guardian.exe but I have an HTC_CM_Guardian.lnk. Can I erase the .lnk file or what do I do. I really wanna try these settings, thanks!

**EDIT** I made a new connection but I honestly don't notice a difference.

Last edited by wILLk0r3 818; 10-10-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
its not a speed difference, just a latency difference... it enhances the time it takes to "connect" to a page, not the time it takes to load it... That why most people dont get...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Almost a VIP

Yeah I understand that's what it does, and I don't really notice a difference. Then again, I'm in class and I don't have good service in here PLUS I don't really have a chance to play around with it. I'm out in 30 mins then I get to go home for a couple hours before my next class and I'll have a good chance to play with it then. =)
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop
Yeah, changing your DNS servers isn't going to magically make your internet faster in terms of download/upload speed. So its very likely that poor coverage could be a big part of the problem. Like I had said before in the other post about this, if you want to be sure its DNS, just punch in the numeric address of the site instead of the friendly text name and if the page loads quickly you know what to do.

Also, keep in mind that the server addy you may be using could be getting swamped now too. Lots of people use those OpenDNS servers, because their provider based ones suck. Being that lots of Sprint users are having these issues now, there are probably heavier loads on them than normal... there are other server addys to try, but I don't have them in front of me right now...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by wILLk0r3 818 View Post
I still can't get my DNS settings to stick.
you have to create a new connection!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Delete HTC_CM_Guardian from \Windows\Startup and soft reset--it's really that simple.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan