PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:37 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does running without customizations really hurt anything?

I don't like having any Sprint-branded crap on my phone... so I hard reset the thing and then soft reset as soon as the warning on customizations popped up.

Honestly, it doesn't really seem to have broken anything that I use. Unlike the 6700, it still sets up the Sprint connection for net access, for example.

I don't give a damn about Audible, Good, or the music store. Is there really anything else I lose by not installing customizations? It seems to run better barebones (which you'd obviously expect) and PST codes still work too.

Anyone else running it with no customizations that can comment? If it really doesn't affect anything poorly, I'm going to keep running it this way. The memory leak is still there but its only sucking up 3MB now instead of 7.

EDIT: My god the memory fluctuations on this thing are weird. On one soft reset after switching everything to Voice13k and turning off EVRC, I was suddenly getting 27.4MB when I was getting 25MB before... but after turning EVRC back on and soft-resetting again, I've got 28.1MB!??! WTF...

Last edited by EtherealRemnant; 10-08-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff
the only thing I would miss is java which I believe is a part of the sprint customizations....
Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Nope, Java is there.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

KingGanon is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to KingGanon
so a hard reset and soft reset don't affect the phone as badly as it did with the 6700? if so, i will definately do this since my memory is always around 18mb, and thats with nothing running.

Check Out GameFly

RIP Sprint Mogul: 3/3/08
Hello Sprint Touch
Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

What do you mean by don't affect the phone as badly as with the 6700?

I've never had a problem with the 6700, personally. Not until my radio went fubar.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

KingGanon is a n00b
well when u do the custom reset, u would have to go into the ExtROM to install certain cabs so that everything would work.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

Actually, I never had any problems running with 0 cabs except certain Sprint-only features not working (like the PPST codes).

But no, I haven't found any downside to running without their extended cabs on WM6 OR WM5 Alltel as of now.

EDIT: Well, except that PPST codes don't work on Alltel's WM5 without any cabs being installed... but installing Sprint's cabs won't fix that either. Alltel *may* have their own codes though.

Last edited by EtherealRemnant; 10-08-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

KingGanon is a n00b
oh ok, i didn't have my 6700 when the whole cooking roms was going on, so i don't really know much about it, i just know about the hard reset to get rid of everything. but from what im understanding, if u do the hard reset on the mogul, u'll lose all the sprint customizing, but everything else will work, is that correct?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

yup. Sprint's WM6 ROM isn't really old enough to have any needed customizations. Everything is optional since they cooked the rest right into the ROM.

You will lose: Sprint Music Store/Player, Good (the email messaging whatever the heck thing that I don't know anybody who uses), OnDemand, and Audible. Those are the big ones. I haven't found any other lost functionality.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGanon View Post
oh ok, i didn't have my 6700 when the whole cooking roms was going on, so i don't really know much about it, i just know about the hard reset to get rid of everything. but from what im understanding, if u do the hard reset on the mogul, u'll lose all the sprint customizing, but everything else will work, is that correct?
you don't automatically lose customizations after a hard reset - it happens if after doing a hard reset you do a soft reset when the box pops up saying it's about to install the sprint customizations

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan