PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 01:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC-Mogul

DogGuy is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy I can crash the Alltel OS at will.... woot?

Okay, I know there have been at least a few people waiting for me to make this post. Quick background for those not following from other threads -- I flashed my Sprint Mogul with just the Alltel OS update, not the full rom / radio etc. Since then my BT is functional, but I have had frequent freezings and failure to wake up from standby that I found to be directly related to BT. (For reference, I use a Plantronics 665) I've finally figured out a few things that cause the freezing, every time.

1) Answering an incoming call with my headset, whether taking it out of the charging pocket or answering with a BT softbutton, ending the call via phone or BT, and then powering off within a few seconds of going to the today screen (habit of mine). If I don't turn the phone back on within a couple seconds, it will not wake from standby and will require a soft reset. This does not happen if I answer from the phone itself, and then talk with the BT.

2) Immediately putting my headset into the charging pocket after a phone call. Doesn't matter which way I answered, but does not happen when I place the call.

3) One 3rd party software related issue --- with SPB Phone Suite installed, and set to automatic profiles, if I cause the BT pairing to drop by moving out of range or powering it off while the phone is in standby, about 50% of the time the profile will take about a minute to switch from headset to normal, and if I open the Phone software during this switching period, I get a frozen Mogul and need a soft reset.

Only one of these three is 3rd party software related. With the exception of problem three, all my testing was done immediately after a fresh flash and hard reset. Even did a double hard reset just for testing purposes (as mentioned by someone in the "Benefits of ..." thread)

I'm stabbing in the dark and probably grasping at straws, but I for some reason suspect this to be due to some aspect of how the BT cleans up after finishing a conversation. I'm thinking, big maybe, that there is a temp drop in pairing after the call, and if I power off before it recovers that I'm causing the lock. Still not convinced this is it, but its the best I've figured so far, not fully understanding the details of bluetooth. Either way, I know the triggers, just not the reasoning.

If anyone out there has some ideas, I'm all ears. Right now I'm debating between three options for the next stop, Colonel's Hybrid, the full Alltel, or WM5 Alltel. I may do all three just to log some data and write a review. Open to suggestions.

- DogGuy
Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Shaska is just getting started
I would suggest trying to flash back to the sprint rom and attempt to re-create the issues you are now having with the custom Alltel OS upgrade... That will let you know if it is perhaps some hardware issue, and not the ROM itself. After that, Try the full Alltel Rom, (Which I use and have no issues with).
Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
I think this issue is with the alltel rom it self as i have the same issue and i am an alltel sub..

Will
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC-Mogul
Threadstarter

DogGuy is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaska View Post
I would suggest trying to flash back to the sprint rom and attempt to re-create the issues you are now having with the custom Alltel OS upgrade... That will let you know if it is perhaps some hardware issue, and not the ROM itself. After that, Try the full Alltel Rom, (Which I use and have no issues with).
Beat you to the punch on that one. I never had the issue occur with the Sprint rom, just had BT that was too choppy to consider useable, but I did want to double check it isn't a new hardware issue (though similar issues were brought to light on pdaphonehome when Telus released their WM6 rom) and I was completely unable to crash the Sprint version.

Good suggestion though,
- DogGuy
Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch

Polen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
put the iPhone rom on it.

-Polen
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch

Polen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPolen is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
no but really, I think Colonel has a Oct 7 version, I saw it on his ppcgeeks ftp files. I'm not sure if it's good to go but worth a try.

-Polen
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: Verizon/Alltel

Midnght_J is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Midnght_J Send a message via Yahoo to Midnght_J
My Alltel 6800 works fine. WM6 is rockin. No complaints here.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Mogul

JohnH59 is a n00b
I have the full Alltel ROM and am having the same issue.

Although I have the same thing happen, I can't reproduce it using the steps of the OP.

Last edited by JohnH59; 10-09-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
John what Headset are you using same question to you midnight J, im tryin to fig out if it is my headset causing the phone to lock or if it is the alltel 6 rom with the headset. I have an XBM phone on the way to me and it will have WM5 so i can test if it is the headset or the phone, I should get a paychk from alltel for all this fun..

Will
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

mdecker79 is a n00b
I have the same lock up as well with the Alltel WM6 core / Sprint install. I have a plantronics voyager 510 BT headset.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan