PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: AT&T

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Benefits of the Alltel ROM?

What benefits are offered by flashing to the Alltel ROM?

Does it address any of the BT issues?

I am just curious if it is worth the effort to flash the Alltel ROM or wait for a cooked ROM.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AFAngryWarrior is keeping up the good workAFAngryWarrior is keeping up the good work
Well here is my .02$ and I know its going to draw some controversy, I've had a few different PPCs with Alltel and I have friends that have the same PPC's with Sprint. I've noticed that Sprint tries to satisfy the customer to quickly by sending out 1/2 done and partially buggy ROM and updates. As seen by them releasing WM6 before it was ready and Alltel waiting and putting WM5 on the Mogul until WM6 was ready. I have a friend thats had 2 Sprint Moguls with really bad BT issues, and other bugs. I've had 1 Alltel Mogul with no issues, I have Stereo Headest, BT Computer Activesync, Regular BT headset and BT GPS all working flawlessly. I havent as much had to soft reset (Except when I install a program and it asks to) with my 6800 yet. Again ITS JUST MY OPINION i have no scientific facts but I do have a lot of instances in which I've seen it myself as fact. I'm sure 1000 Sprint users are about to flame me though.... lol
Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
*FLAME**FLAME*

no, lol...
If i install the Altell rom, will anything not work?
As for mms, does it just have sending built in, there is no receiving still (stupid sms links)?
How do they fix the bt audio issues with their rom, and htc has yet to put out an update for the sprint rom bt problems, and from what i read continues to release new phones with the same issues?
Is the altell rom actually faster and better at ram handling like everyone says?

HMMMMMMMMMM? ISSSSS IT!!!!!!!! IS IT???????????!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFAngryWarrior View Post
Well here is my .02$ and I know its going to draw some controversy, I've had a few different PPCs with Alltel and I have friends that have the same PPC's with Sprint. I've noticed that Sprint tries to satisfy the customer to quickly by sending out 1/2 done and partially buggy ROM and updates. As seen by them releasing WM6 before it was ready and Alltel waiting and putting WM5 on the Mogul until WM6 was ready. I have a friend thats had 2 Sprint Moguls with really bad BT issues, and other bugs. I've had 1 Alltel Mogul with no issues, I have Stereo Headest, BT Computer Activesync, Regular BT headset and BT GPS all working flawlessly. I havent as much had to soft reset (Except when I install a program and it asks to) with my 6800 yet. Again ITS JUST MY OPINION i have no scientific facts but I do have a lot of instances in which I've seen it myself as fact. I'm sure 1000 Sprint users are about to flame me though.... lol
actually im a sprint user and ive run both roms and id say youre about dead on.

i do not use BT so i cant verify there maybe someone else can chime in

the keyboard in .netcf2 apps is not broken. i dont want to say 'fixed' cause it worked in the first ver sprint rom.

alltel rom seems a tiny bit quicker than sprint, but little enough that it could be my imagination. it appears less modified than sprint.

no rdp builtin, same as sprint.

smsretry is an application listed under start menu instead of a background service like sprint rom. not sure what the end result of this is - i kill the service on sprint anyway.

mms is built in to alltels, you can change servers to sprint with a reg edit. it is arcsoft mms but its a different version than the popular cab for our sprint moguls. installing that cab on alltels rom does not produce working mms.

evdo was reported faster but no evidence to back this up and i cant test. the speeds i saw mentioned still looked like rev 0, maybe 200k faster then those guys were getting before, but that could also just be conditions at the time imho. i saw this asked in another thread and im trying to answer all questions here...

the "bars" display is a little different, spcs hacked a dll to show 7 bars while alltel uses the wm default 4 or 5 (i forget) display.

alltel's os is same build of winmo / aku 0.2.3 but build is dated 8/20/07 which is a little newer.

radio is 1.40, sprint uses 1.32. i think 1.40 performs just slightly better in low reception areas but again this could be my imagination.

memory management is the same

in the end unless youre just looking to play with roms id say its not worth your time to switch. wait for a custom rom.

hope this answers everything
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

Dmunkey is a n00b
Thanks for the post. Answered a my questions on the roms. Guess i'll just wait
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
If you would like the best (so far) of both, come find me in the chatroom. I have a custom that has the Alltel core with the Sprint "OEM" stuff. So it does not have MMS built in, but has many of the other goodies.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I agree with dcd. It's a little faster across the board. Reception is a little better. It even made my phone more stable....less lock ups. But none of it is really worth it. I went back to the Sprint ROM last night.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by klurf8881 View Post
if it was better then why reflash and reinstall all those programs? id think that wouldnt be worth it in itself if the alltel was running equal if not better
If he had a backup made with the Sprint ROM then he wouldn't have to reinstall everything.

I am tempted to flash the Altell, but I may just wait for a custom ROM. Colonel, with your hybrid Sprint/Altell ROM, does it configure all the Sprint settings?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
Sure does. Like I said, it is a newer build of the core OS from the alltel rom, but all of the sprint stuff. BTW, I did strip out some of the crap and add a few apps.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

specv is becoming a great contributor
post um the rom id be willing to try it out

my biggest concern is the memory leak, which i assume is not fixed

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan