PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Victor_A is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Victor_A Send a message via Yahoo to Victor_A
Anyone thought of using memory card as ram?

I have been using Linux for a while and also noticed this feature is now being used on vista as ready boost. I just thought that there may be a way to enable some kind of swap partition on you flash card to increase the ram on the device. This card may have to be really fast so this could work effectively something like a class4 or maybe a class six? Thoughts, comments?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Machina2o2 is just getting started
Id rather use Internal storage rather than something like a flash card. Besides having 256MB+ of ram would be pointless since the CPU would be taxed like hell to justify using all that ram. Think of it like having 16GB of ram right now on a windows system which sounds cool on paper but can the CPU and harddrive handle all those apps running?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
this is true, but 64 is still low no matter what, so if you could make a ram disk that would rule... although it may be just as fast using that as it is to open a program into ram...
Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo
Threadstarter

Victor_A is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Victor_A Send a message via Yahoo to Victor_A
Well using either on board or a memory card, which ever is faster, would be the way to go and adding something like 100mb for ram would help I think. Best choice would be to use internal memory I. I have about 120mbs of free space on board. Even 50mbs would help a lot.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
It would be nice to use it to store stuff thats open in the ram and hasnt been used for like 15 min or something
Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
You cloud try relocating diskcache.dll to your storage card and then edit HKLM/system/StorageManager/FATFS/CacheDll so the location is the path to the storage card where you put the file? Don't forget to give the cache a file size.

DISCLAIMER: This is a guess. If you screw up your phone attempting this, it's not my fault.

Hell, I'll give it a shot. The worst that could happen is I'll have to hard reset.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I'm trying this...no luck. I can't get the diskcache.dll to disable so it can be moved.

But then again, if it hasn't been figured out, thought of, or done on xda-developers then it probably isn't useful or possible.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan