PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Slingbox or Hava? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9190)

wickedklown 09-27-2007 04:41 PM

Slingbox or Hava?

Im looking to add a video streamer to my Mogul. Ive read many X vs Y blogs but wanted some opinions from the PPC users.
I was leaning S/B until they removed the recording function. Anyone play with the Hava?

btw ya i know Orb is free.

bwaines 09-27-2007 04:56 PM

i really enjoy my slingbox. the feed is good and very rarely see any buffering.

garberfc 09-27-2007 07:34 PM

Do u stream the video over WiFi or can u do it over the cell network too?

doned 09-28-2007 01:56 PM

Sling works well on both... watch TV on the train home everyday(EVDO) ... Would like to hear some HAVA input too as I'm looking at a second box and thought about HAVA

garberfc 09-30-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doned (Post 94139)
Sling works well on both... watch TV on the train home everyday(EVDO) ...

When steaming over the cell connection, it is considered talk time or data time?

Vertigo 09-30-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garberfc (Post 94641)
When steaming over the cell connection, it is considered talk time or data time?

data time... you most have an unlimited data plan.

garberfc 10-11-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo (Post 94647)
data time... you most have an unlimited data plan.

Yes, unlimited. It's nice never having to consider the minutes / MB... :headbang:

lefty11 10-12-2007 02:33 PM

Well unfortunately I am a Hava user/ I have the wireless HD Hava unit. It works very well with desktops and laptops, but I would reconsider before dumping the money in order to utilize on your mobile device. I have used it on xv6700 and my current mogul. It locks up on the Mogul often, and the support on the Hava is very very weak. Also the player for your mobile device is only an evaluation copy and tells you at the launch every time with an audio insert. The video is never totally smooth even over wifi. The audio is even worse unless using earphones. Even then it is subpar. The mobile player has no real adjustments other than screen controls such as brightness, contrast , etc. There is no speed control for streaming or any audio choices . Basically , I can tell you the Hava sucks for mobile use if you are looking to use it regularly. I have not used Slingbox but can only imagine it must be better. If anyone else has had REAL success with Hava please message me, because this thing is a POS in my opinion

letsgoflyers81 10-12-2007 02:53 PM

It really depends on how much you're looking to spend. Havas have more features but they're also more expensive. I just picked up a new SlingBox AV for $90 shipped. I have HDTV at home but I don't need to stream the HD feed and I'm not concerned about other advanced features. I've got it working with my regular digital cable box so I'm set.

garberfc 10-15-2007 03:44 PM

The wireless web page states: "Automatic adjustment of encoder parameters based on dynamic calculation of the available wireless bandwidth, to ensure smooth delivery of the video stream to all the clients on the network."

Maybe they're still working on the algorithm. I imagine the signal/bandwidth on a mobile device is constantly changing...