PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dropping GPS Autotrack (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9114)

wickedklown 09-26-2007 02:26 PM

Dropping GPS Autotrack

Just bought the Holux m1200 and Dl's google maps. Went through all the BT and GPS settings multiple times. I get a connection, no problem but I can only go about 2-5 miles before I lose auto track and my blue dot stops moving. I constantly have to disable/re-enable "track location" to re-aquire the location and gps movement.
Tell me this isnt normal. Any fixes/ideas? Picking up about 10 satellites.
Mogul 6800

Thx,

Logan-5 09-26-2007 04:50 PM

I have the same issue. I just figured it was for locating so you can find nearby businesses and not actually tracking. Really no sense to track because you dont get turn by turn voice directions like tomtom.

Malatesta 09-26-2007 04:53 PM

Same problem: Spectec 2-in-1 GPS and Treo 700wx, so it's not a Titan issue but rather Google Maps.

The only think I like about Gmaps is it's fast to load/get GPS info. Other than that, I don't care for it compared to Live Search which has full screen, direction arrow, etc. But it's slow to load/acquire GPS.

Gilliland 09-27-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malatesta (Post 93173)
The only think I like about Gmaps is it's fast to load/get GPS info. Other than that, I don't care for it compared to Live Search which has full screen, direction arrow, etc. But it's slow to load/acquire GPS.

I keep seeing people mentioning Windows Live as a mapping/GPS tool, but I have not been able to find a PPC application for this. How does one use Windows Live with a PPC/GPS?

dew.man 09-27-2007 10:19 AM

It's called Virtual Earth Mobile.

http://www.viavirtualearth.com/vve/G.../VEMobile.ashx

Darkness231 09-27-2007 10:23 AM

They are talking about Windows Live Search. Its a PPC app.
Or Google Maps
Both apps interact with Bluetooth GPS receiver to track location, get directions, find stuff etc. Both requires a active data connection

Gilliland 09-27-2007 11:27 AM

Cool, two different answers. I've already seen the Virtual Earth Mobile app, but I hadn't been able to find the Windows Live Search app. I'll download it and check it out. Thanks, that's exactly the pointer I needed.

wickedklown 09-27-2007 02:33 PM

Thx for the windows live info. I installed the app on my mogul and tried the autotrack, it worked!! did not drop the signal at all during my 40 mile trek and the arrow thing/turn by turn is great.
I agree Gmaps is faster and I like its simplicity over WLS but I like having GPS better. Thx again!

Darkness231 09-27-2007 03:08 PM

Does anybody else's screen turn off when using Live Search, Google Maps keeps the screen on, but not Windows Live Search.
Here is a script that will disable turning off the backlight and turning off the device until the program (live search) is exited, and then returning the setting to what they were prev. to running the program.
**This is assuming that Live Search was installed on the device, and not storage card**

Live Search Stay Alive.mscr

BattSuspendTimeout = RegRead ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\Timeouts", "BattSuspendTimeout")
ACSuspendTimeout = RegRead ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\Timeouts", "ACSuspendTimeout")
BatteryTimeout = RegRead ("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Backlight", "BatteryTimeoutUnchecked")
ACTimeout = RegRead ("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Backlight", "ACTimeoutUnchecked")

RegWriteDword ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\Timeouts", "BattSuspendTimeout",0)
RegWriteDword ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\Timeouts", "ACSuspendTimeout",0)
RegWriteDword ("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Backlight", "BatteryTimeoutUnchecked", 60)
RegWriteDword ("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Backlight", "ACTimeoutUnchecked", 60)

RunWait ("\Program Files\Live Search\Live Search\Live Search.exe")

RegWriteDword ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\Timeouts", "BattSuspendTimeout",BattSuspendTimeout)
RegWriteDword ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\Timeouts", "ACSuspendTimeout",ACSuspendTimeout)
RegWriteDword ("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Backlight", "BatteryTimeoutUnchecked", BatteryTimeoutUnchecked)
RegWriteDword ("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Backlight", "ACTimeoutUnchecked", ACTimeoutUnchecked)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedklown (Post 93665)
I agree Gmaps is faster and I like its simplicity over WLS but I like having GPS better. Thx again!

Google maps does support GPS. Just hit menu Track Location, BT com setting are in menu->options->Track Location Settings

wickedklown 09-27-2007 04:33 PM

Thx for that script Dark. Ill be adding that soon.

As for the Google supporting gps, i know it does but as my original post stated it drops on me constantly regardless of settings. WLS hasnt (knock on wood) at all. If you know of a magic script to fix it on my mogul let me know.