PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Mogul Performance: How far have YOU gone?

I thought I would bring this up because it always seems to happen to me. And even though convensional wisdom would suggest my apps aren't causeing performance issues, I thought I would throw this out there and see what you all have experienced.

Here's my scenario:
Sprint Mogul (newest ROM)
Nothing from the Extended ROM is installed
Stock 512MB microSD

Applications:
Spb Phone Suite
Spb Mobile Shell
Palm Threaded SMS
ArcSoft MMS

Active Today Plugins (in display order):
Date bar
Spb Mobile Shell bar
Spb Phone Suite notification bar
Spb Mobile Shell Weather tab
Calendar

Everything is installed to the device. I have 139MB of flash free, and 16MB of ROM free.

So the question is: WHY THE F&#K DOES MY MOGUL PERFORM LIKE DOGGY DOODOO AND LOCK UP HALF THE TIME?

Sound off!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

markgamber is just getting started
I don't have any of that stuff installed and I haven't had a problem. The answer, I think is to remove all that stuff, or start over with a hard reset, and see how it runs. Give it some time, don't restart it and if it gets to the today screen assume it's fine. Actually use it. If there's no problem, add ONE thing. See how it runs. If no problem, add another ONE thing, etc, until you find out what causes the problem. I've read quite a number of threads explaining that the MMS and SMS hacks (and they are hacks) cause memory problems, so there's two probable sources, and those sbp things are resident so there goes more memory. It all adds up and when you're low on memory constantly, bad things happen.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH

ScandaLex is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmorgan View Post
I thought I would bring this up because it always seems to happen to me. And even though convensional wisdom would suggest my apps aren't causeing performance issues, I thought I would throw this out there and see what you all have experienced.

Here's my scenario:
Sprint Mogul (newest ROM)
Nothing from the Extended ROM is installed
Stock 512MB microSD

Applications:
Spb Phone Suite
Spb Mobile Shell
Palm Threaded SMS
ArcSoft MMS

Active Today Plugins (in display order):
Date bar
Spb Mobile Shell bar
Spb Phone Suite notification bar
Spb Mobile Shell Weather tab
Calendar

Everything is installed to the device. I have 139MB of flash free, and 16MB of ROM free.

So the question is: WHY THE F&#K DOES MY MOGUL PERFORM LIKE DOGGY DOODOO AND LOCK UP HALF THE TIME?

Sound off!

I FEEL YOUR FREAKIN' PAIN!!

I use much of the same apps as you, so needless to say, I am NOT impressed with the Moguls performance.
I am wondering if its an issue with Spb products; nothing should make the Mogul slow to a crawl..... almost as a virus would on a desktop PC!

Thinking more and more of the iPhone!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon (via Alltel takeover)

answerman is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLex View Post
I am wondering if its an issue with Spb products; nothing should make the Mogul slow to a crawl..... almost as a virus would on a desktop PC!
My experience with SPB products is that while they add a lot of nice functionality, it definitely comes at the expense of performance.
I'd try disabling them and see if that makes a difference. There are so many other apps that do parts of what SPB PocketPlus does (HTC X-Button, for instance) that it's possible to get most of the functionality in a much more efficient way.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker

SINNN is a n00b
Remove all the junk and youll be happy. I dont use none of those plugins.. just HTC home plugin for the giant clock. Thats it. And my mogul runs great.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Threadstarter

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
First off, I'm not a noob....I cook bitches!...

Second, I love my apps....especially Mobile Shell. But maybe it is an Spb thing.....

Damnit!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

KoukiFC3S is just getting started
mobile shell is the main performance hog.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Titan

h11013 is a n00b
i notice on my treo when i had mobile shell installed it def slowed things down... haven't put it on my mogul though...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Mobile Shell has become pretty much vital to my use of this device. If that's what's killing my performance, that's not cool. It wasn't until I installed that that I really fell for my Mogul. Without it the functionality of the device is a lot less usable.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

sandiegodude is just getting started
I used to use Mobile Shell on my 6700 and 6800. Both ran slowly while running the app. I decided to get (close to) the same functionality by installing multiple today plugins with smaller footprints/ resource reqs. DEVSTATE is the best combo between functionality and speed for app management and the Home plugin works well for tabbed interface with all those bells and whistles.
Try Devstate. It's free and VERY useful not to mention customizable. You won't be sorry.
http://handheld.softpedia.com/images...DevState-0.gif
<---screenshot with devstate

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDo...oad-14433.html
<---Devstate Dload from Softpedia

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan