PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800

Lady Harley is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New to all this - questions and feeling pretty dumb

I've had a cell phone for years - usually the latest and greatest - also a Palm PDA - moderately used. I, of course, decided I needed the 6800 - and got it 2 days ago.

While most things are explained - I'm lost of finding answers to a few things.

First - With ActivSync - I have a desktop with XP and a laptop with Vista... can I download both applications and use the 6800 on either computer?

Second - once I enter contacts and sync with my PC, is there a way (like with a standard PDA) that I can access the contacts on my PC, make changes - and then on the next sync have the new information on the 6800? The manual talks like you should, but I can't find the files on my PC to access.

Third - In reading through the forum, I see a lot of "changes" being made through reg editors and such to make some things better. How do you download something to the 6800? Is it like a regular computer, you go online to a site and click to download and it just goes?

I guess that would also answer how I get ringers and screensavers and such as well........

I thought I was fairly intelligent, but I feel quite stupid working with this gadget........ I LOVE IT!!!! it's just making me feel a little dumb at the moment.

I thank anyone who can help me out with some of the finer points of the 6800.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

jfol01 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to jfol01 Send a message via Yahoo to jfol01
1 - I have the same setup(xp on desktop and vista on laptop). I downloaded and installed activsync on the desktop(xp) but you don't have to install activsync on the laptop(vista). Vista uses a different app to sync with the phone. I think its called sync center or something like that - on my laptop it's in the control panel called sync center. All I had to do was just plug my ppc into my laptop and it started the setup wizard.

2 - the mogul synce your contacts and calendar with outlook on your pc. You can also set it up to sync files between the two. This is all set up during the setup wizard when you first connect the phone to the pc. Any changes that are made on one are changed on the other the next time it syncs.

3 - yes you can download to the 6800 by just clicking the download link online. You can also download to your computer and then use file explorer on your computer to copy the files to your 6800.
for ringtones you should put them into the My Documents/My Ringtones folder on the device
also I recommend using HTC Home plugin and the Customizer here
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=6355
If you download the hhcv08b_140 zip file at the end of the first thread to your computer then unzip it and copy the .cab file to your mogul and run the cab file from your phone it will run you through the setup of the HTC Home plugin and customizer on your mogul.
Hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any more questions
Jay
Old 09-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
help for #1 answer: the other version of active sync is called Windows Mobile Device Center!

Looks like all your other questions have been answered!

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

jfol01 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to jfol01 Send a message via Yahoo to jfol01
Thats it... I just couldn't remember the actual name. Thanks
Jay
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC MOGUL
Carrier: SPRINT

eyezonz is a n00b
i just got my Mogul 4 days ago and went thru this same stuff but youll learn fast. deal with .cab files for installs there are the easiet you jus put the file on the phone and click it and it installs

I use audactiy on the desktop to creater ringers you edit them in there then export the as mp3s then save it in my ringtones folder

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan