PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   using alltel's evdo on sprint? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8854)

aughsum 09-21-2007 10:48 AM

using alltel's evdo on sprint?

I just finished an interesting conversation.. I was told that it was possible to log onto alltels evdo because sprint only offers 1x in my area (saginaw, mi)

what I want to know is if this is possible? would I just need to change the data string to whatever number id need to access alltel?

any insight on this? dying on 1x.

stearic 09-21-2007 01:34 PM

It's possible. What you need to do is go into your roaming options and set it to "roam only" and it will jump on the alltel towers in your area. If they are evdo like you said you'll get an evdo connection. I've done it many a time at work to get something downloaded quickly.

LotekJunky 09-21-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stearic (Post 90883)
It's possible. What you need to do is go into your roaming options and set it to "roam only" and it will jump on the alltel towers in your area. If they are evdo like you said you'll get an evdo connection. I've done it many a time at work to get something downloaded quickly.

Stearic, what area of the country are you in? Would you mind sharing what PRL you are using? 60608? 60610?

dcd 09-21-2007 04:50 PM

stearic, also are you doing this on your mogul? im currently travelling in alltel evdo area and unable to use it.

aughsum 09-21-2007 08:18 PM

stearic comin' through once again.

ill give it a try monday when im at work.

i wont be charged any weird data roaming charges will i?

/(my a900 STILL isnt here... day #14.)

rockrerun 09-22-2007 07:12 AM

It looks like Sprint is also working with Verizon to offer data roaming. I have EVDO from verizon in my area and it would be great to get this working. I put my phone into roaming only mode, and while it did boost my signal a little, I'm not getting and EVDO connection.

dwehking 09-22-2007 09:58 AM

I'm down here in SC along the coast near Charleston and we have been able to use the Alltel EVDO signal for over a month. I have my mogul set on Automatic.

stearic 09-22-2007 12:14 PM

I'm in central kansas. The prl thats on my phone is.... 60608. Yes i'm doing this on my mogul. Start > Settings > Phone > Services tab, select roaming and then hit the "get settings" and when that screen pops up select the "roaming only" settings. Press ok and your phone will automatically search for a non-sprint tower that it can get on.

Like i had said, alltel here in my area has evdo and i'm able to roam on their evdo data network. I haven't been charged for it, but then again roaming is included in the plan that i have.

Shaska 09-24-2007 07:52 PM

Yeah, it would be REALLY nice if sprint would hurry up and get EVDO in the Grand Junction area, They claimed it would be up and running by now... although if they wanna pay Verizon to let us roam on their EVDO network, thats fine too...

TrainSafe 09-24-2007 08:30 PM

I'm set to automatic in my phone roaming settings. Today I traveled to an area in northern WI, where I *know* that Sprint has no towers, yet I was able to enjoy full EVDO service. I'm assuming that I was hitting Alltel towers, but I'm not completely sure. Very nice!