PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 02:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC-Mogul

DogGuy is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Need opinions on how to...

... setup my Mogul to best fit my needs. I've been playing and reading non-stop for almost two weeks, testing apps and reading about folks varied experiences, trying to decide on exactly what it is that I want, and how best to get there. I finally decided on what I'd like, now I just need some recommendations on how to get there.

Here is a quick rundown on what I'd like to do, and what I've tried so far. 1) Basically, at a bare minimum I want my today screen to stay clean while showing a good size clock, indicators for Email, Vmail, and Missed Calls and my next appointment or two. Memory usage would be cool, but totally not a necessity.

2) I'd like to use my stylus as little as possible for interacting with most functions, ideally only being a couple of finger taps from any of my main applications and a photo dialer. After playing with SPB Mobile Shell, I *love* the menu. I also love the HTC Home plugin but the two together absolutely killed my memory and performance. I also had some issues just running MS, Pocket Plus, and Time. I've read they are all memory hogs, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

So all this leads to ....

A) I think my ideal setup would be to use a hardware button to bring up a finger touchable, fully customizable launcher, either iPhone style, or SPB Menu style, or anything along those lines. Does this even exist?

B) Is there anything like the HTC Home that will leave a clean looking today screen and still show emails/vmails/missed calls? Mobile Shell didn't do this, hence me adding HTC Home and having the issues.

I am totally open to any suggestions, whether they are programs still in alpha, or fully paid programs. I just want to be able to utilize my device in the most effective (for me) manner, while not totally draining it down to < 10 mb as I was running most of the time.

PS: This forum is simply awesome. You guys have a great community and great contributors. If it weren't for here, I'd probably have been disappointedly fighting my way through trying to get anything done on my Mogul, instead of having a blast messing with it. Keep up the awesome work.

- DogGuy
Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800
Carrier: Sprint

HobbesIsReal is keeping up the good workHobbesIsReal is keeping up the good work
First of all WELCOME TO PPC GEEKS!!!!

Over at www.WMExperts.com I am writing a multi part WM Guide series. Part I & II should be published on Monday or Tuesday. Part II will have some links to cool software that might help you. In probably part III (mayber IV), which I am going to write in the next 2 weeks or so, I will be including a whole section dedicated on making the WM device more one handed friendly.

For the moment I would strongly suggest using SBP Shell because it has the photo dialing in a tab, which helps protects me from accidentally calling someone when it is in my pocket or case, not the issues with the HTC plugin, and included SBP contacts. Then use SPB Phone Suite along with it. It will show all missed calls, emails, and VM totals at a glance, give you profiles, and a comm manager (which is nice to free up the hardware button for something else..which I have assigned to Alt+Tab program manager). Here are a couple of screen shots to show you how I have mine configured:

I will also be including several other tips & tricks and apps to help with a range of one handed capabilities.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800
Carrier: Sprint

HobbesIsReal is keeping up the good workHobbesIsReal is keeping up the good work
I am only allowed 4 pictures per post so here are three more:
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Lurker

randav2 is a n00b
HobbesIsReal, what are you using in that weather tab? I have SPB weather, but it looks nothing like that. Very nice.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AFAngryWarrior is keeping up the good workAFAngryWarrior is keeping up the good work
Looks like WeatherPanel

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan