PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Procter is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyting I can do to get better reception on Mogul or it's just like this?

I've been using Mogul for like a week or so, and had a Palm 755p before that (DOA and exchanged).

With Palm, I had 3-4 bars at home, and solid 3 bars in my office. But this Mogul only holds 1 bar or no bar at all at home, and even roaming in my office. The indicator changes to "1x" with more bars (2-3) when there's a call ongoing, then switched back to EV with no bar or 1 bar.

From the Sprint coverage map, both my home and my office are in deep green area.

My battery drains fast because of this ev-1x switch and weak signal, a fully charged battery will have only less than 50% remaining after a day. I don't have a lot phone calls during the day, and seldom have time to surf the web. I close the data connection once done with the email checking and stuff.

Is there anything missing to tweak the phone for better signal, or it just sucks as a phone. I remember I saw someone posted here highly praising the reception of Mogul, but my personal experience is just the opposite.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procter View Post
The indicator changes to "1x" with more bars (2-3) when there's a call ongoing, then switched back to EV with no bar or 1 bar.
theres your key...

the 6800 is showing the EV signal strength when you are not in a call. calls are made on the 1x network.

You are probably picking up a decent 1x signal, and a weak Ev signal. Run /windows/fieldtrial.exe and you can see actual db readings.

On that note, Ive never used a treo personally, but differnet devices report "bars" differently. The only true comparison is the db reading in the field tests.

My motoQ and mogul get strange reception comparisons by bars, but if you look at each field test, you'll see the mogul actually picking up a few db more than the Q consistently.

You should be able to switch between "1X" and "HDR" in the field test of the 6800, to see your 1x and evdo db readings.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
LOL... this guy is complaining about reception, when his phone hasn't ACTUALLY had a problem with reception at all!

Look, if the phone can't actually make a call where your TREO could, then you can come here and tell us you actually have a problem.

This is only a "perceived" problem, especially if everything works as it should when you need it! You say you made a call and it jumped to 1x with a couple of bars- that's exactly what it SHOULD do! If anything, boo on the palm for not telling you the difference between data and voice signals!

As far as the battery goes, that is one of the few downsides of this device... Battery drain is high, especially when surfing EVDO. I always charged all my PDAs at night so as long as it makes it through the day its ok.

Last edited by dishe; 09-19-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: adressing battery concerns
Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
LOL... this guy is complaining about reception, when his phone hasn't ACTUALLY had a problem with reception at all!

Look, if the phone can't actually make a call where your TREO could, then you can come here and tell us you actually have a problem.

This is only a "perceived" problem, especially if everything works as it should when you need it! You say you made a call and it jumped to 1x with a couple of bars- that's exactly what it SHOULD do! If anything, boo on the palm for not telling you the difference between data and voice signals!

As far as the battery goes, that is one of the few downsides of this device... Battery drain is high, especially when surfing EVDO. I always charged all my PDAs at night so as long as it makes it through the day its ok.
I've been in Verizon for years, and I know the EV and 1x difference, or maybe Sprint does things differently. When I used my heavily hacked moto E816, I got solid EV and full 5 bars both at home and in the office, I use that device surf the web as well, but I don't see this whole "calls on 1x, data on EV" scene. People used to complain a lot about how the EV and 1x switch drained their E815 batteries so they would force the phone in EV or 1x when they are in "fringe area".

From the coverage map, I don't see these two places in any "fringe area" and my battery drained a lot faster than the Treo.

Last edited by Procter; 09-19-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:24 PM
dcd
VIP Member

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procter View Post
People used to complain a lot about how the EV and 1x switch drained their E815 batteries so they would force the phone in EV or 1x when they are in "fringe area".
this is a little different. evdo phones essentially have 2 radios, evdo and cdma. your phone is not exactly jumping between them. when youre not on the call, the phone maintains the evdo connection, and the "bars" report its strength. since calls must go over 1x, evdo drops when you place a call. its working as designed.

the battery drain is a symptom of a device thats picking up an evdo signal so weak it cannot hang onto it. when not on a call you would see it drop to 1x and pick evdo back up, over and over. this constant search for signal causes the battery drain.

in your case the phone is not searching for an evdo signal, it has one. its just using the cdma network for the voice call.

have you checked out the db readings in the field test? i generally call 85db or better a "good" signal, as my voice calls only tend to break up when the signal is worse than 85db.

since im in a 1x area, i cannot vouch for evdo signal strength. however I have noticed that when ive traveled into evdo areas, my evdo signal is never very strong, but works fine.

i have also heard a report that the 6800 has a max of 4 "bars" for evdo, while it has a max of 7 "bars" for 1x. this could be misleading you as well. i cannot verify this since i dont have evdo coverage.

Do you know if the E815 showing you 5 "bars" was reporting cdma, evdo, or both? My families verizon phones show 2 different signal meters. Also do you know what the "5 bars" on the E815 converted to in db?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the clarification. I just ran the program and my Rx Ec/IO is only 21db at home. Don't know about the Treo though. Sorry I don't know how to check the db on E815.

I now start missing Verizon time, when I can have solid signal while surfing web without data charge.

Last edited by Procter; 09-19-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

eb3604 is just getting started
update your prl?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan