PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Faster roaming hack? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8725)

Victor_A 09-19-2007 01:24 AM

Faster roaming hack?

Does anyone know if there is a way to enable roaming to start sooner when the home network is lost. My phone has the battery drained really bad because it is looking for a signal for a long time before it goes to roaming. Thanks for any help.

nickmig 09-20-2007 08:12 AM

I posted earlier on this and no one responded.

This would help me as well as the service near my home is horrible and I can't even make a phone call without it being dropped. If I force the phone to roam, the call is fine.

Ideas?

rfrankli 09-20-2007 09:18 AM

I would like this too. The service in my office is not good enough to hold a call (calls drop constantly), but not poor enough to make the phone switch to roaming (which has excellent service). If I force it to roam, everything works great. I would like the phone to do this for me.

letsgoflyers81 09-20-2007 02:36 PM

You don't need a hack for this. You can go into the phone settings and set it to Roaming Only. I'm not sure why you'd need to change anything for it to switch over sooner when you can just do it yourself.

Victor_A 09-20-2007 04:07 PM

Well from what I understand EVDO is not available while roaming. So by ahving it on raoming only I would not have EVDO running when I want to go online. I would consnatly have to switch from roaming only back to allow roaming. This could be handled automatically and would not drain my battery so much, when it would be on allow roaming and the phone would be constantly loosing the signal and getting it back making the phone stay on and look for signals for a long period of time.

letsgoflyers81 09-20-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor_A (Post 90485)
Well from what I understand EVDO is not available while roaming. So by ahving it on raoming only I would not have EVDO running when I want to go online. I would consnatly have to switch from roaming only back to allow roaming. This could be handled automatically and would not drain my battery so much, when it would be on allow roaming and the phone would be constantly loosing the signal and getting it back making the phone stay on and look for signals for a long period of time.

Yeah, that's one sacrifice you'd have to make. But if you barely have a signal, then why go for terrible EVDO service over solid 1x? One of my buildings at work gets practically no signal on Sprint so I set to force roaming. I get a great signal on Verizon so I can deal with slower data.

specv 09-20-2007 07:56 PM

make a today screen plugin to toggle roaming only. That way when you are work you can switch it on, when you leave switch it off

desktable 09-20-2007 11:07 PM

what is the best way to make a today screen plugin to toggle roaming on and off ?

thanks for the help