PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker

SINNN is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC talks GPS on Mogul!

Ok.. like many of you Mogul owner I have a itch that cant be scratched. So I decided to go straight to the flea! To make this post as short as possible here is my email to HTC.

ME:
Hello, nobody is giving me a straight answer to my serious question about your PPC 6800. AKA (Mogul) thru Sprint. I need to know if this phone has a build in GPS stand alone chip? IS it GPS or AGPS? Can you please clarify this for me. I want to buy it but it all comes down to the GPS function. Thank you. And please reply.

HTC:
Hello, Thank you for your inquiry about HTC Mogul.The Mogul is an ALI (Automatic Location Identification) capable smart device equipped with a GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver supporting a satellite-based GPS ALI-capable network to comply with the FCC's ALI requirements.
It has a Location Setting program, which allows the mobile phone network to detect the current location via device's built-in GPS chip in case of any emergency. However the GPS chip device cannot be used for maps navigation.
I hope we have answered your question in detail. Feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

ME:
Thank you very much on your prompt reply. Althou you state that this cannot be used as a map navigation, can this be used to point out a users location at will. There are rumors of Sprint releasing a rom update for the Mogul that will enable GPS function on it. Well at least not map navigation, but maybe to just locate the user. Is this capable of happening?

HTC:
Hello,
Thank you for your inquiry,
This is definitely possible. But it would be up to the folks at Sprint to release such an update.
I hope we have answered your question in detail. Feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

ME:
Thank you very much for your reply. And keep making these superb phones. By the way, is there any plans to release a CDMA version of your "Kaiser" phone? I am hoping sprint comes out with it.

Waiting for the next email reply............................................. ..................

ME:
I am sorry, maybe I should be more clear. We Mogul buyers would love to know a straight answer since we cannot comfirm of deny some rumors. The rumor is Sprint is going to release a rom update for this Mogul device that will unlock GPS function. Therfeor all moguls will be in essence a stand alone GPS device. Is this possible at all? Or ALI is the only gps function this has and no way will it be unlockable into a true GPS stand alone unit. Thank you very much since Sprint is being very unclear about this.

HTC:
Unfortunate it would not actually be possibly to use your device as a standalone GPS. From our understanding here at HTC the firmware upgrade will do no such thing.Just to let you know, for more information on your device you can always check www.htcwiki.com.

Ohhh Ohhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Now I am getting a different answer. This is torture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Yay 4 Juggs; 09-17-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

riotek is a n00b
I currently have sprint family locater on all of my phones on my account, and the Mougl already works for being able to locate the phone. It has been that way since day one of it comming out.
Previous Devices: iPhone 3G - iPhone 2G - HTC Touch Pro - Treo 800w - PPC-6800 - Treo 700wx - PPC-6700 - BlackBerry 7300 - Treo 700p - BlackBerry 7100i - Audiovox PPC-6600 - Treo 650 - Treo 600 - Treo 300 - Kyocera QCP-6035
Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SINNN is a n00b
riotek, we are hoping for gps with map location. Even thou we cannot navigate I would like to locate my location on a map like live maps or google maps.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
do we really need a 27th thread to go over this again?

your title states HTC confirms GPS in the mogul. this may be misleading as then you post what we already know, and have gone over, and over, and over....

I think I am done opening any thread that says GPS, kitchen, or volume...
Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SINNN is a n00b
sorry! But i was not aware that theres more threads about this. Well this is coming from htc so I think its important.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINNN View Post
sorry! But i was not aware that theres more threads about this. Well this is coming from htc so I think its important.
Excuse me? Important? The fact your message indicates that HTC flip-flopped on the answer? So basically we've learned nothing new.

<sigh>
Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
they never really flip flopped either. They stated it has GPS for the 911 laws. the email asked if it was possible to get at least a location on the map and they said it's definitely possible for sprint to do that. this is still the A-GPS method which could be used for navigation if sprint (or another carrier) offers it. That would generally make the speed/direction/navigation determinations on the sprint server and would likely be a monthly plan. Hopefully this clears up a little since from those emails i see nothing where HTC said anything new.

Don't get your hopes up. External BT GPS devices are only ~50 bucks and you can recoup that with navizon if you actually use it.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 4G

nunyabiziz is just getting started
Sinn i know that youre tryin to help with some info but tc1 and dcd are correct with their statements. Same as your thread over @ SU...misleading and not newer info that has not been covered B4.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: x
Carrier: x

Primenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
A little off topic, but since you keep talking with HTC......

What I want to know is, even though we know what the real answer probably is, ask what their official Stance on the 6800's support for SDHC/SD 2.0. in conjunction with WM5/ WM6 is.

We all know the 4 GB SDHC cards work just fine with the 6800 when running WM6, but they must just not claim it as so many versions shipped with WM5 and SDHC isn't compatible with it supposedly.

I just think it would be interesting just to hear what HTC says, since I'm just waiting for the day when we can get one of those 16 or 32 giggers

Last edited by Primenall; 09-17-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Good question Primenall. I look at it this way, since no device supports any SD cards larger than 2GB unless they are SDHC compliant, the fact the Mogul has been confirmed to support the 4GB cards, then I would assume then up to 32GB support is not out of the question since this is the top limit for SDHC 2.0.

Now, availability and pricing on those cards will be another story...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan